1932 Ford Pickup Project

I agree, its part of the fun. I've got a restored 66 Mustang as well and people barely even look at it on the road. The truck however gets lots of attention. I'm still thinking I should move the fuel tank out of the cab though.

Tell me what you think of a fuel tank in the cab if we really did hit that bus the night you were driving! lol

Last edited:
Kevin, I had a Stainless Steel custom made by a mate and myself, ( he had a break press and did beautiful tig welds, mind you he is a sheet metal worker) fuel tank under the pickup bed between the front and 2nd cross members and sat on the chassis rails and between the bottom sides of the pickup bed as in not the actual side of the bed but the panels below that., worked great, I would get about 2 to 3 hours out of a tank full cruising on the highway which gave me around 300 K's in distance, it doesn't sound much but in one of those mudguard (fender) flappers you want to get out and stretch your legs around that time period anyway. Sounds like a good move to get it out of the cab if that is really what you want. So what's next eh ........ a Windsor and C4 :D:D:D, Just kidding with the last coment.

The only thing I didn't like about how I had mine was the filler was on the floor of the bed and I think with a bit of extra work you could work that into the top of the steak bed pockets and perhaps have the tube run around and in the side of the tank, and don't forget to fit a breather, I had mine hidden in the steak pocket up high enough so there wasn't any splash out of it.

I will look in my build photos of that but have a feeling I never took a photo of that part.

Last edited:
Hmmm I like how you did that. Hopefully you have a few pics. I posted on the Hamb a thread about moving the tank and of many said I should just leave it since structurally its probably already in the safest place. However since the OEM don't put them in the cab anymore I wonder if thats the case. The only real thing I'm worried about is if I put it on its side or worse the roof and the tank starts leaking or even just coming out the filler. I don't want to change this truck too much but I want it safe though too.

Especially when lintmann is driving.....oh wow. Who knew he couldn't drive a truck with no brakes.

Kevin, you could always clean the inside tank out and leave in location and just disconect it and have the other one hidden away as I had mine.

Yes that was the plan. Just purge it with water to drive all the vapour out. It still makes for a good mount for the seat.

On a side note it is fun to see peoples reaction when I take the seat out to put gas in it at the station.

Yours appears to have a different seat than mine had,it had a split bottom cushion so you only removed the drivers side to put gas in.The seat cushions had wooden frames and they sat down over the raised top of the tank to hold them in place.

How about keeping the old tank in its original location, cut it open and make a door in it and use it as a storage compartment...

Russ