1928 Model A Highboy

I envy the guys that make it look easy as I know it is NOT. To get the exact shape out of a flat piece of metal that you want is an art that does not come easy.. Oh sure it is nice to have the tools one needs to do it but without the skills they are just statues! Guys like Stoney and others really make me envious. :cool:

Bash

I envy the guys that make it look easy as I know it is NOT. To get the exact shape out of a flat piece of metal that you want is an art that does not come easy.. Oh sure it is nice to have the tools one needs to do it but without the skills they are just statues! Guys like Stoney and others really make me envious.

Bash

I grew up with a dad that never said " I don't know how " or " I can't " and I try to pass that on to my kids. I would never put myself on the same level as the craftsman on this site, I'm simply a novice that likes to try new things and I'm not afraid to try. I'm inspired by this site and very glad to be part of it.

Last edited:
That is an awesome philosophy indeed and kudos for him and you for sticking to it. I believe that if everyone had the same attitude the world would not be in the mess it is now. You are very right and never give up.. never stop learning that is something I strive for, sadly I fall short some times but we can't all do it all lol.

Bash

BTW nice project keep up the good work and be sure to update us all along the way thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, my comment I needed a wheel is not meant to mean that I would be able to turn out parts like those right away. An art for sure.

Sheldon

Oh yeah, my comment I needed a wheel is not meant to mean that I would be able to turn out parts like those right away. An art for sure.

Yes you could Sheldon, I have never used an english wheel before.

Oh hey Sheldon don't get me wrong I have a few statues in my shop as well,, again though without them one can not learn, right? That's just what I meant about the striving to learn everyday. Even in the modern day body shops all too often I see technicians (cuz that's what they call them these days lol) who know little more than how to remove and install old and new panels as they do not repair much anymore these days. In their defence it is much cheaper to buy a new panel than the labour to fix one.. I myself would love to work under some of the craftsmen who can do magic with metal.. some of it might even rub off on me.. people like Marcel Delay, Ron Covell or Lazze blow me away with what I see they do. Nothing I would like more than to have even a tenth of the skills of those people. But as Mid life C says never say can't and I say never give up..

Bash

Last edited:
Yes: It's a different world these days. I love making parts, sometimes it takes a few tries but it's still a great feeling. It's a good thing our time is free however (well sort of).

Sheldon

Decided to chop up the cowl tank, really the only place for the ECM and fuse box, going to fill in the centre hole to make a flat dash while retaining the body line. Planing on kinda frenching the column into the dash.......maybe.

oMDG23W.jpg

f5qAEnn.jpg

Last edited:
A little more metal work and paint and it should look pretty good with a set of gauges in it.

RcvEWRP.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job. It doesn't even show where you welded the new metal in. Except for the shiny part, great job.

How close is your engine to firewall and WP (also is it a stock length WP?) to rad on this car? You stretched the frame 4" in front I think you said?

Thanks
Sheldon

How close is your engine to firewall and WP (also is it a stock length WP?) to rad on this car? You stretched the frame 4" in front I think you said?

Body is off the frame right now, but approx 2" from valve cover to fire wall, I'll measure from front of water pump to rad once I'm home. Water pump is stock length.

Last edited:
Sheldon, I have exactly 4" from the front of the water pump to the radiator. Hope that helps and yes I stretched the frame 4" specifically to get the 5.0 in the car.

BTW: How is the car coming? Also I'm interested in that hood you have if you want to sell it? I was thinking repro but it would really be neat to have all original Ford metal I am thinking.

Thanks
Sheldon

Car just needs to be put together for the last time, big push right away, just rebuilding an engine for my son then it's time for my car. I can dig out the hood and send you a couple pics if you like.

Ah great: If you say they're in good shape that should do it for me. Going to Australia for a month, leaving tomorrow, I'll contact you when I get back.

Thanks
Sheldon

Finally found a little time for the car this week, going over everything on the frame before primer sealer then paint on the frame. Finally assembly is finally in-site, at least on the chassis. Flipped it over to weld in a few gussets and braces then final welding.

QwZvHOUl.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't it do your heart good when you get to this stage? It's all down hill from here, until the next hiccup of course. :)