Midlife C

1928 Model A (unsuspecting victim)

tFdEXPZ.jpg

Won't be needing this anymore.

5iYJrEEl.jpg

Nice solid body (zero rust)

JMOavOjl.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a real nice body to start with! And your plans sound good. I built a 29 sedan a few years ago, much different than your direction but they sure make bitchin hot rods. Will be following your progress for sure.

What are you gonna do with the original chassis?

Its leaning against my garage, along with the front fenders and running boards.

No plans, I've sold the motor, trans, wheels but the rest is still here.

Nice to see another Model A starting. Looks like the same make of frame that mine has ;).

The original frame can still be used, a good template for any measurements that you will use then disposed of.

Happy New Year :D

Canuck

The old frame was very useful.

I used a very low tech approach and simply traced the body of the car on the table with a sharpie then removed the car and placed the old frame on the table using the cowl mounting points as reference and traced the frame as well. I then removed the frame and marked the new front cross member location as the frame is being stretched 4" and redrew the front frame rails to keep the frame width stock up front.

4 x 12 sheet of plywood and a red and black marker and I have a great template for my frame rails.

Last edited:
You are off to a flying start with a good body like that and the table sounds interesting also, you have done the right thing getting that donor car. Is that an early A just looking at the brackets being the cast ones as oposed to the pressed steel ones, '27 or 28, 29 went to the pressed ones, well out here anyway. I'll be following you build here so thanks for the pictures.

Engine s/n puts the car around April 1928, the number on the frame is unreadable. Finding a solid complete car is certainly a bonus except for taking it apart. Time certainly had things welded in place.

I can measure a hundred times as I build but I still need to see it fit. Frame rail fit the body perfectly.

JnL0jpml.jpg

Last edited:
Great start and good ideal with tracing out the body to get a nice curve for the rails. Are you planning on channeling the body down on the frame? Or high boy?

Thanks....yes it worked out perfect.... Will be built as a high boy. Planning on building the 4" rear kick this weekend. Will be running a flat front cross member and a 4" drop axle up front. 4 link coilover set up in the rear

Last edited:
Made a little progress on the rear kick of the frame today.

Think I'll plate the miters where the frame kicks up for added strength. Also tied them into a cross member. May need to notch for the drive shaft later but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

TyHAOFa.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys... Having a great time so far with the build and learning a lot.

This forum is a great source of information and inspiration. There are some very talented guys on this site building some awesome cars.

Alan

Thanks Hooligan...Next I plan to trim the inner angle off the stamped channel of the car body ( if that makes any sense at all ) and build a 2 x 2 frame for the body, this will give the body some extra strength and also give me something to build a 1 1/2 floor structure off of later.

mx6SL5m.jpg

9zIJe8a.jpg

Last edited: