Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

scan0011-4.jpg

...Keith, you're killin' me with all this pleasure....in fact, I remember seeing the 'batwinged' '32 in the 1962 Speed Sport Show. It knocked my socks off then and it knocks my socks off now.......
Maybe your thesis will evolve into a where is it now 'registry' for all these pictured rods and customs....

another one

Here is another one featured in Feb 1964 Car Craft it was one of the Car Craft's top 10 customs of the year. Car now belongs to Terry Kong Vancouver area and still around

TerryKong.jpg

Fergie

I just talked to Bruce M tonight (ptpguy) and he bought the car off Court and
painted it green metallic and changed the interior. He says Terry has had the
car 35 plus years and has done nothing but store it.
Saw it at our reunion in 2007 in primer and somewhat derelict.
I have another feature from another 50's mag I will post soon.

Thanks for pitching in and contributing to this thread

I helped Terry move the car about 30 some years ago he was in the process of stripping the (green) car with a razor blade. It was moved to a different storage spot, he said he was going to sell it when the price of lead got high enough.

I saw it once in the Okanagan and at the reunion as well

Last edited:
Sorry guys, but if Terry hadn't saved it years ago it wouldn't exist now. Nobody wanted it then. He jumped thru all the hoops with registration to get it. Ended up paying sales tax on numerous bills of sale to get it in his name. Too bad he hasn't restored it yet, but it is his car. The car isn't stored full time as it is still driven on occasion. Pat.

031a.jpg

031q.jpg

P1010002_12.jpg

Last edited:
Here is an old one. Recently sold and gone the East coast of the US. Carl Tjorham's 32 Channelled roadster. Originally built with a flattie, later got a Caddy engine. 40 Ford dash and steering column. Carl is still into cars and built himself a beautiful black 40 coupe. Pat.

CarlTjorham32roadsterin1960.jpg

Here it is with the flattie.

CarlTjorham32roadsterinthe50s.jpg

CarlTjorham32FordRoadsterinthe50s.jpg

Carlsroadster2.jpg

Carl was one of the first out of country LA Roadster associate members.

Carlsroadster4.jpg

Here is the car in the 70's when Bill Traquire owned it.

BillTraquire32roadsterinthe70s.jpg

Carlsroadster.jpg

Carlsroadster8.jpg

Carlsroadster11.jpg

Don Robinson restored the car and was the last Canadian owner.

Don27s20Roadster20026.jpg

Last edited:
Cort lives in Cedar on the island now & is totally out of customs/rods. Jack Schmidt hooked me up with him in the ferry lineup one day.

Interesting shots from the '70's & 80's as a friend said we "found the vagina" so dropped out for 20yrs. during that time.
Ok a "lurker" friend of ours emailed the following

"".the 31 roadster with the hemi ( the one Pat talks about the clutch blowing up ) was built by a guy in my old burnaby neighbourhood named Rod Oben, I have pictures of the car when it was full fendered with a 4-banger. I also have some neat construction shots of the car being torn apart and the brand new 354 hemi crate motor getting installed , the car ran in red oxide primer for a year or so, before it was red. I rode in it in 1958...very scary for a 14 year old. The next car I remember was the Gary Cooper car ( the one with the unusual deck ). We had a club in the late 60s, early 70s called B.C. roadsters, one of the members named Jay had the roadster all torn apart in a south burnaby garage, I recall he was draw-filing the frame at the time and it was still there in the mid to late 70s, then one day the garage was gone and I haven't seen it since. The next one I helped build and it belonged to my friend Grant Hanney, it's the dark red 33 3-window. The car was first done with a 303 olds with a j-2 carb setup and a Packard trans. In the car show pics it was owned by a guy in north van and had a chev motor. The last time I saw it was in the late 70s sitting in the fellows basement with 2 flat tires. Even though the car was built mostly in the mid 60s I remember seeing the same car in about 1958, it was a light blue-green colour with a plexiglass roof inset a cream and pink rolled and pleated interior, it was in this form when we found it in a small garage ond Nelson ave in Burnaby with a built-up flathead and an exhaust system held together with old chef boy ardee spaghetti tins...neat stuff. ""

I don't think this car was ever featured in a magazine aside from maybe a shot at a car show in Vancouver. Anyone know where this one got to. Pretty distinctive. Pat.

DonBeadleAcoupeinthe50s.jpg

I remember the coupe Grant Hannay had later as going to Moscrop Jr Hi in 1958 I used to walk by it every day parked on the street & drool. Don't recall the st name but it was on the n/w corner of the playing fields. Also walked by a '41 bus. coupe black primer on Halley owned by Jim Stimpson. No idea where that went. The posts were coming in thick & fast so the coupe I'm referring to is talked about back on pg 15.

Last edited:
Pat

I remember that A coupe from the Parking ramp show in New West.
Reason so indelible in my mind is that as I recall (?) it had electric
doors with a remote control !!!
Geeez, my 51 Hardtop had a button actuated remote trunk solenoid
that only worked when you pounded your fist on the trunk lid, so that
Model A was pretty impressive to me............:)

Car Craft, October 1959
Jim McGowan's '32. He STILL owns the car and now lives in the Victoria area.
It was a Deuce Days last summer.

scan0016-2.jpg

We have discussed this car on this thread, and here is magazine coverage of it.
Car Craft October 1964

scan0018-3.jpg

Last edited:
Here's some pics of Jim's deuce roadster, Apache. He built it in the 50's and still has it and uses it. It was on the hot rod tour in 2007 and met us in Calgary and drove to the coast. Pat.

gm2_00048.jpg

Jim20McGowan20Gymkana20Safeway20Nor.jpg

JimMcGowanApache32roadster2008.jpg