Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

How about this one from that same Sept '72 R7C. George Fitzios' 29 Roadster from Windsor. Geirge still owns and drives the car. He's had it something like 40 years now. That's a 427 Tunnel port in there but he has run a SOHC motor in it too. This car has been driven across the country to California and back at least once and has been all ovet the east coast too many times. Still looks pretty much the same today as it did then. OH, have you seen that internet game where you need to ID 17 different engines and then 19, I think, on the second game? Geoge's SOHC motor is the one in the second game.

GeorgesRoadster.jpg

Last edited:
was the car from ladner and sold to new owner in tswassen in 68

I was told Gordie got it from Bill Refuse in Burnaby, i think a 36 coupe went Bill's way but not 100% sure.

Gord is in Mexico for the winter or i would ask him about it. Gord is a regular at our Lunch meetings.

Last edited:
Brian, I remember Bill Refuse. I think you may be right about a 36 coupe. I think it was blue and a 5 window. I have a picture of it somewhere. Bill also had a 50 Packard convert and Norm and I bought a 46-8 Merc or some parts off of Bill. I had a 47 Ford coupe that used to belong to Ernie Koverchuck at the time that I had bought off of Norm. Really early 70's is the time period. Gordie bought his roadster at this time off of Norm as well as Doug Curran bought his 34 chopped 4-door. At that time Norm was the go to guy to buy an old hot rod or custom as he owned all of the Vancouver cars at least once and sometimes more than once. hahaha. Pat.

Rodster Pictorial, 1964 (no month on mag)
Coverage of the Quarter milers of Victoria, BC

scan0019-1.jpg

I think this '41 Chevy coupe was the door prize giveaway car at the BCCCA
Motorama in 1959 or 1960. There were two chevies almost identical, so it could be..............

scan0022-1.jpg

Gordon Stewart of Victoria owned the 30 roadster pickup. He is a retired rancher living in Smithers, BC and is into rods. Has a gorgeous '35 Ford pickup and is building a '35 Ford flatback.

scan0021-1.jpg

Last edited:
Rod and Custom, March 1970. Andrew Timmis of Victoria built about 15 '34 Ford replicas out of fibreglass. They used original frames and running gear and an 8ba flathead supplied lby Ford Canada with a warranty. He is still in business in Victoria selling high end imports and collector cars. He has one of these cars in inventory at the moment. The yellow car was his steel onel

scan0023.jpg

Brian, I remember Bill Refuse. I think you may be right about a 36 coupe. I think it was blue and a 5 window. I have a picture of it somewhere. Bill also had a 50 Packard convert and Norm and I bought a 46-8 Merc or some parts off of Bill. I had a 47 Ford coupe that used to belong to Ernie Koverchuck at the time that I had bought off of Norm. Really early 70's is the time period. Gordie bought his roadster at this time off of Norm as well as Doug Curran bought his 34 chopped 4-door. At that time Norm was the go to guy to buy an old hot rod or custom as he owned all of the Vancouver cars at least once and sometimes more than once. hahaha. Pat.

That's the one Pat. Doug's 34 used to sit in Bridgeview under the Pattullo bridge in the early sixties. Doug is doing a refresher on the 34 and his 40 coupe as we speak. He lives about two blocks from me.

A bunch of us toured Andy Timmis "glass 34 factory in '79 as part of VISRA's rod run that year. The bodies were "glass, but the mechanicals were early Ford with Flathead engines. I wonder how many of these cars are still out there and how many were built.

Don Carey

Rodster Pictorial, 1964 (no month on mag)
Coverage of the Quarter milers of Victoria, BC

scan0019-1.jpg

Don still lives in Comox ( retired School teacher) , been here forever well at least the 27 years I've known him and Still Has the same 34 Ford Coupe and still drives it.. Was out last fall at the A&W Comox Valley Classic Cruisers ,,Cruise nite on every Thursday nite and he still likes to spin the Tarz.. bad boy Donald :)

Now that's what I call a tunnel ram....gorgeous and a rare piece

George had that custom made by a guy in the Stated (Fleckinstien, I think) Pretty neat pice - it's still on the car. He was on our annual Highway 3 cruise from Windsor to London last year.

Wow, that is cool that he STILL has the '34. Amazing...........:)

Any current photos?

Popular Hot Rodding, September 1963

Toronto car show..........any info????

scan0027-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this car is the one that was once owned by Tom Glennie and his brother here in Victoria. Tom took his drivers licence test in it! He bought it back a few years ago and it's socked away in his garage in Victoria with a bunch of other treasures. Kind of a waste.

Turns out this isn't Tom Glennies car - his was / is a 5 window. Sorry!