Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

This has go tto be one of the coolest threads on here in a while. Thanks guys.

You are dead right here, some great machinery coming to light.

I think those older time were better in some sence, out here now someone would be all over you for having a chromed spring because of embritlement etc etc, you just did it back then and there were not that many component failures from what all the tech stuff is now days out here anyway.

Last edited:
Then and Now

Hello John in Oz,
Some good points that you made on how things got built back then.Builders generally had less tools to use than we have today ,but still got the job done.If you wanted a part like a traction bar or spring hanger you hand burned it and made it.Really not so much over the counter stuff then ,but all kinds of bell housing adapters to bolt just about anything to a ford flathead transmission.I remember stories also about guys lowering cars by torching the springs,but never could believe that anybody would actually do that.Tri power setups ,with progessive linkage were more common then probably because four barrel carbs were relatively rare.There also were not a lot of header manufacturers around so dual exhaust with stock manifolds were the rule of the day.Headers on rods often were the simpiler constructed Lakes type with old driveshaft tubes for the cone out to the collector end.Tires were much less as wide as they became in the 60s and 70s.If you wanted wide back wheels on a limited budget you went for something like a recapped tire.The first really wide ones that I had were made by a guy out in POCO who called himself Whiteall I think it was.These are some things that I remember,but I'm sure there is a lot more.Perhaps someone else can add to this.
Dan

For all those relatively new to the site I am posting a link to the BC Hot Rod Association website/photo album. This was created for our 50th anniversary in 2007. There are hundreds of photos in B.C. from the 50's including car show programmes, racing, etc.
The first two rows of photos are from our reunion.:):)

www.bchra.org/2007/bchra50/www/photo.html

Rod and Custom, Feb 1962. This Ontario based (no city) rod was featured.
Anyone know further info on it? Neat car, except for ugly top.

scan0001-14.jpg

Hot Rod November 1958. The Cal Morrow car with a new owner, Daryl Foster of Victoria. We discussed this car in another thread a couple years back and determined the new owner was a cousin of racer Billy foster.

scan0004-1.jpg

Bruce Schamber's roadster was built by Bruce in Kitchener Ontario. The back fenders were made from fiberglass by Bruce.There was not to much on the roadster that he did not make.Bruce was part owner in a metal business and he sold the business to his partner and moved to Florida where he was killed riding a wave runner.What happened to the car I do not know.
Homer

bruce Schamber Rod

Like his front shock mounts off the shackles,not that common these days.What are those wheel covers?Functional top but just not the one for that car .Very down east looking machine.

I don't know that this car was ever featured in a magazine but I thought I'd post a pic anyhow. Richard Naklie of Windsor owned two roadsters at the same time. This one was powered by a 292 GMC inline and ran like stink. The other was Y Block powered and din't have quite as nice a look. I have pics of it too but can't seem to get them to copy to my photo host. Richard stood in for Woodie Allen a couple of times I hear. He was a dead ringer for Woodie!
RichardNaklie292Roadster.jpg

Not quite as early as some of these, but really personal. My old friend, Dent Rivard started a shop called the "Old Car shop", original Huh? We worked together repairing cars, building cars, and selling parts, either over the counter or at a swap meet...had to pay the bills , right? Anyway, we were discussing the upcoming 1st Canadian Street Rod Nationals to be held in London with a couple of the local boys. We were kidded that we ran a hot rod shop and didn't have anything to take to the "BIG" show.
Well, as boys will be boys, a little "gentlemen's wager" was struck, that being we wouldn't be able to drive an entry on to the grounds ...OH! that would be NEXT week!!! Well, we had picked up a 35 Ford panel out of N.Y. state a couple of months prior and it became the target.

Proof is in the pictures, the panel was running with a brand new (believe it or not) CRATE flattie, painted, and upholstered, but NOT licenced.
There's a couple of pictures of it one on the grounds and one in front of the shop.

We collected on the bet too!!!

scan0001-1.jpg

scan0002-2.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

And here's the motly crew...well excepth for Sharyn

scan0006.jpg

Thats amazing Rochie that unidentified green 32 on first page top left corner is my younger brothers car.He still has it and two years ago he did an off frame restoration and it is now red.He has had that car for over 40 years. I helped him tow it home from Brantford.
Homer

I dont know if my old survivor Dodge was ever in a magazine back then but I dont think so, it was in Kustoms Illustrated afew years ago in a futile attemp to find some history on it, I have been told it may have come from BC at one time...any of you guys recognize the ol girl??

Dodgearticle.jpg

IMG_4098.jpg

IMG_4093.jpg

Neat magazine article Wayne. John and Wade VanDube's 40, Larry Wally's Pontiac and Larry Agla's 27 Chevy. I bought my first model A from Wally, Went to the Detroit Nationals with Agla in his 27. Lots of memorys thare. Oh Yeh, George Beaumont's coupe is alive and well and living right here in Greater Downtown Belle River. It's back up on top of the frame now. A black and green hiboy that I rewired a few years ago. Hardly ever comes out of the garage though.

Last edited:
Car Craft March 1964. The Harry Dashevsky '32 with a new owner.
1962 BC plates....mmm.....this vehicle is in the Langley area in pieces...

scan0008-4.jpg

Hot Rod , December 1960. The Robinson Brothers '32 in another mag.
Someone knows something about this car still inthe Surrey BC area.

The next several articles I will post come from the archives of Jim R. as I was over to his house today telling him I was doing a thesis to get my masters degree on Hot Rod history (lol).......so, I scooped several old mags of his to peruse.......:)

scan0010-4.jpg