Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

Two Victoria Chevies

The 41 coupe belonged to Bob Clarke who was a founding member of the old Victoria Quarter Milers. I believe he bought it from one Harvey Funk from the lower mainland. The 55 "el Camino" was built here in Victoria by Gary Tucker and if my memory is correct, he started out with a wrecked 55 Nomad.

Keith,
The T bucket in the second page of Tops in TO was built by Al Wright and my old buddy Jerry Hoppe(remember the "Bear" story from the '07 tour). Take notice of the front end on the "T" NO springs. They were the first to use Volkswagon front torsion bars.
By the way the shop is behind Jerry's place and was a machine shop when Jerry bought the place....52 YEARS ago. It has produced a few great cars over the years. There's a 27 "T" sedan going together in there right now!

Car Craft, Sept 1961...WHile the title of this five page article says "Showtime USA" it is coverage of the BC Custom Car Assn Motorama in Vancouver, BC.

scan0028-1.jpg

The '50 Ford 4 door is apparently on van island.

The a roadster at bottom right has been rebuilt by the original owner.

scan0030-1.jpg

The roadster pickup in the top left has been recreated by the original 1955 builder, as the original has been dissasembled in the north Okanagan for many, many years. Jim W. get going on that truck (lol) :):)

scan0032-1.jpg

I was told Gordie got it from Bill Refuse in Burnaby, i think a 36 coupe went Bill's way but not 100% sure.

Gord is in Mexico for the winter or i would ask him about it. Gord is a regular at our Lunch meetings.

You know how some storys are so closes-I built a roadster in 6o's channed it,put in a 265 chev.motor w/auto trans. & english seats.Sold it in 68 taking 2cars in part trade a englist car and a 36 ford conv.I painted the frame w/boat paint yellow,flat head w/tower trans,sold it in 70 to buy new house.I would like to know where my first car is too.

The roadster pickup in the top left has been recreated by the original 1955 builder, as the original has been dissasembled in the north Okanagan for many, many years. Jim W. get going on that truck (lol) :):)

scan0032-1.jpg

Here is a pic of Mr.W's recreation of his old rpu

DSC_608320Large.jpg

Thanks Brian for the photo....have yet to see it in person.

As my resources are starting to run thin and I have exhausted the first pile of books lent to me by Jim R., i will take a break from scanning and posting until I can get into his archive pile and get some more books.

Surely someone else can post up some articles......ok guys ??:)

A pic of Ed's A roadster pickup when Jim Johnston owned it in the late 50's early 60's.

WittenburgsA2.jpg

A pic from the 1967 Vancouver car show. Jim Johnston still owned it.

van20car20show201.jpg

Here is the last version of this A pickup. At this time, the early 70's it was owned by Dan Maxwell. As Keith mentioned it is still around but apart. The new owner has a new chassis. The blue paint on the A was applied by Sandy Morita in Sapperton, part of New Westminster.

scan0018.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the A roadster mentioned earlier in the show coverage of Vancouver. This is the roadster in its original show version and then restored to its former glory by an original owner. Lorne Kerr.

6656.jpg

Neil7.jpg

P4260029.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the 4 door that Keith mentioned earlier in the show coverage from Victoria. It was built and owned by Jack Williams in the fifties. Now resides on the Island in Victoria.

JackWilliams51Ford4-door.jpg

Speaking of Jack Williams, Keith showed the car magazine coverage earlier on the Syndicate Scuderia dragster that Jack built in the fifties. Here is an old shot from the 50's.

JackWilliansdragster.jpg

And a more recent shot from the 90's at the 40th Vancouver car show. Jack still has the car.

JackWilliamsSyndicateScuderiadragsterinthe90s.jpg

Here is an old pic of Funk's chevy. It was shown earlier in the magazine article about Canadian Cars. It still exists.

IMG_7132.jpg

Paul Davis' Candy Apple. Paul was a member of the Shifters in the late 50's when he built this car. He ended up painting it Candy Apple red and calling it the Candy Apple. It disappeared for a couple of decades when Paul sold it and then resurfaced in Chilliwack at a rod run. Still exists and was repainted Candy Apple red by the new owner, Earl.

021d.jpg

021f.jpg

021c.jpg

021j-1.jpg

This pic is from the 90's when the car resurfaced. That is Paul standing beside it.

scan0045.jpg

Last edited:
Although this car was never featured in a magazine to my knowledge, it was started in the late 50's early 60's by a member of the Shifters car club in Vancouver, Ken Helm. This was Ken's ride to school when it was a stocker. It is a 28-9 sport coupe and Ken has added a hemi and a Jag rear over the years. Ken is in his mid sixties now and still owns the car. Wish I had a better pic of it.

Aug11236.jpg

Doug Curran's car has been mentioned here before as one that Norm Abraham's had in the early 70's. It had a nailhead then, but I think it's history goes back to the 50's. Doug rebuilt the car in the early 70's and is redoing it again today. It was chopped in the 50's or possibly the 60's.

_MG_4690.jpg