The 29 is on the road

vNQsImT.jpg

TUQ3SnH.jpg

XLVvoTZ.jpg

Re-arched the front spring, found the one inch spacing for the press points worked well.

DHePwnt.jpg

The new rear cast hubs have a large inner radius, so I had to machine some bought wheel spacers to match in order for the new Coker steel wheels to mate flush to the hubs.

So I’ve never used these spacers before....it looks like the bolts that hold these on are only a few threads in...is that right or are they just not tightened down yet or am I just looking at this wrong?.

So I’ve never used these spacers before....it looks like the bolts that hold these on are only a few threads in...is that right or are they just not tightened down yet or am I just looking at this wrong?.

I was thinking the same thing. Grade 8 stover nuts would be my choice for fasteners here, with 2 threads protruding past the nut.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Bgbkwndo

Great looking ride BTW. Looks like a ton-O-fun.
Yeah, the inner studs look like they want to be about 1/4" longer. I assume those nuts are lug nuts with a tapered seat and the spacers are countersunk to match as it does not appear that they are piloted by the hub. If not, I think they should be lug nuts so the spacer is adequately centered on the hub bolt circle. I assume we're all over reacting on this and you know the score anyway.

Ya they are lug nuts, they are actually heavy lug nuts with, over, the bolt diameter of thread contact, which will achieve full thread/bolt strength. Especially with fine thread bolts.

Dave, stover nuts wouldn’t work here due to the spacers being centred with the nuts and wheel studs.

I didn’t change the drum studs out because they are sweadged into the drum and no manufacture, that I could find, make longer ones.

The studs being shallow, (even though full strength is achieved) drives me and my OCD nuts hahaha.

What wire are you using for your sheet metal welds? I’ve been using 035 and I’m finding it a bit much. Bought 023 but haven’t put it in yet...

Johnny .023 is much nicer for sheet metal especially if you are using on of the smaller 110 migs.

Last edited:
I have a milermatic 170 running off 220. Just find the 035 needs a higher amperage so I tend to get some blobs and burn through...doesn’t help that I can’t see worth a damn.

Hey John, as bash said there .023 for sheet metal. You’ll find it much much nicer if you’ve been using .035.

Opened up my 023 yesterday . It was covered in a red oil or grease of some kind. Not sure what it is but it will most likely gum up my machine so it’s going back. With this self isolation thing I’ve done a ton of little fixes and I’m out of car projects right now so I think I might try a home hair cut on myself..and no I’m not posting any before and after pictures...

I might try a home hair cut on myself..and no I’m not posting any before and after pictures...

Off topic but, ... you sure you should? After Anderson Cooper give himself a hair cut HE had a baby! (the world is nuts) ;)

Well the title of this thread does not suit now haha.
Following along the line of license to kill's issues, with a bagged banger, pulled the engine today, it was already punched .040" over years ago and it measures still under .060" over so will be boring it to that with new .060" over pistons. As well as new valves, guides, and adjustable lifters.

Is there anyone in the east Kootenays that does Babbitt work? Always a problem with a bones. :)

Thankfully the bearings all look good Keith, they have been re-poured once before. I'll check all the clearances and reshim where required.
I acctually have some ingots of Babbitt in my garage lol. My father used to pour and bearings all the time, which is now a bit of a lost art.

Well, update time. Pulled the main caps and crank, bearings have too much clearance, it would run but not gonna put new parts in with a half-ass crank and bearings. Then found some old block repairs that were terrible, so ground them out, found more cracks and a big hole into the water jacket, however managed to weld it all up. Still not going to use this block though. Found a good one for a good price, heading to have a look in a few weeks. Will post as things progress.