Ontario MOE antics

47convert

Anyone know the latest on this BS with the MOE? I've written to my mpp and to the minister of the environment and signed the petition. Has everyone in Ontario done this? I've also written to the ministers of tourism and culture along with hteir assistants suggestiong a "Collector Car Appreciation Day" like some States do. I though it might help to get some mpps on a different line of thought than these tree huggers who don't know what they're talking about. If anyone wants to know who these mpps are just ask and I'll post it but you can find them on line. We need to do whatever we can to stave off this horse pucky!

I've written to my MPP, and have received a response from an assistant of hers. It says that the MOE is not targeting classic cars, and it goes on to quote the existing legislation. I heard from a friend that said that the MOE showed up at the end of a Father's Day car show in Whitby, and fined several vehicle owners on emission violations, including John O'Toole, who is an MPP in Durham Region.

there is lots about it on a Ontario rodder site but you would have to find it as its not able to be mentioned on this site.

I did not say the name of the site just told about a site in Ontario in respect to rodders and the M.O.E. issue. No links attached. It is a concern to the Ontario guys only and should be of concern to every rodder in Ontario.

Pete you are right maybe you can posts some of what you have from the other site. So every one in Canada can see it not just a Ontario thing I have a 1978 Pontiac Grand prix just waiting to be pulled over.

Mark, did you keep all of the original type emission controls when you did your swap? If so, then you're probably OK.

Well Mike, I am trying up here in Huron / Bruce. I have written to my MPP which I dropped off personally to her office lady last Friday afternoon. In this letter I had copies from the Letters section of Old Autos as well as the info from the Performance Improvement web site. Also included were copies of letters from others supporting our request. I also copied all of this info to Jim Bradley - Minister of the Environment.
We collected 65 signatures on Sunday at a car show in Chesley and I just returned from a cruise nite in Hanover with 38 signatures. These sheets will be mailed to MPP John O'Toole tomorrow morning.
Please sign the sheets when you see them and email your local MPP. Ask for their support when this bill comes up for voting.
Everybody needs your support.[/
COLOR]

It seems kind of ironic that the clean air test we have to do on our vehicles was dropped on all vehicles under 88 ..under that those vehicles no longer are in the emission loop.. seems they are not really comcerned about emissions. I would venture there are a lot more of the early OBD1's running around on the roads with non compliant emission controls or cats, than our cars/trucks....

They encouraged it by exempting them from the law. Our economy needs the revenue and pepole need to get to work and on the nice days we enjoy our hobby its good to hear how many guys are getting in volved in discussions...So what's up with hasseling us ??

How the hell did the government ever get so much control over our hobby... be carefull out there it's getting scary.. why is it when the government gets involved it just becomes a nightmare, till they beat you down with regulations, fees and notorized forms... and phone menus that keep you on hold till you finaly get the the right guy who can help you...but he don't speak no engleesh...:eek: AAAAARRRGGG

Unfortunately, hobby vehicles tend to be more visible than most other vehicles on the road, so they're easier to find, and to be pulled over. Crate engine swaps could turn out to be a sticking point, as the government wants to declare crate engines for off road use only.
It could increase interest in older vehicles with original drivetrain, or engine swaps involving pre-emission era engines.
Its either that, or play by the rules, and make sure that you have the proper emission controls for the vehicle that you're driving.

Nice to see this is being talked about on Canadian Rodder !! I brought this up here last year http://www.canadianrodder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11955
but some here were more concerned about me introducing myself properly (Old Fart):p

There's a good thread going on about this at Ontario Rodder http://ontariorodders.activeboard.com/t47781184/emmissions-on-older-cars/
probably because most members are from Ontario, and this is an Ontario issue.It seems to me that a lot of members here are from out of province.
A word of warning for you Western Rodders !! If we here in Ontario can't fight this and come to some sort of an agreement, you will be next.
Learn about what's going on and be very vocal about it, even if the law doesn't affect you. Yet !!
Most of the law is common sense, basically stating that you can't remove emission controls from vehicles. We've known for 40 years that you can't tamper with them, and if you do you will get fined. I'm OK with that !!
The part that most don't know about is that in 1999, any pre-emission vehicle receiving a replacement engine had to meet emission controls from the year of that engine.
What pissed me off is that no one knew about this, and they didn't start to enforce this law until 2008. So basically, most hot rods that were built from 1999-2008 will be non-compliant. This includes 32 Fords and Volvos !;)
Another part of the law that I'm totally against is the use of crate engines. ALL CRATE ENGINES ARE FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY !! I was told by the MOE that they are not "roadworthy".
We must all band together, and be very vocal to our elected officials to the point that we become a pain in their asses.
Danno

Well said Danno.
He's right you know. If we can't fight this...here and now Dulton will only look for more ways to fill the coffers on opur backs.

Oh did you guys know that plate stickers will be going up in Sept??? $74 to $85 for 1 year and in Jan. 2013 to $98. So get out there and buy your
2 YEAR plates NOW. You can buy them 6 months in advance

Does Ontario not have a Speciality Vehicle Association of some kind that can lobby/fight on everyones behalf? What about all the car clubs banding together to help?

If not that strong, they could call in the SEMA branch that has successfully lobbied in repealing many "targeted" laws in the US and believe they have some relationship in Canada.

I know in BC they have a strong Speciality Vehicle Association that has been lobbying meeting with, along with the BCHRA, ICBC and the DMV to change or revise laws.

Alberta also has an Specialty Vehicle Association but it mostly concentrates on antique and classic cars, although they are not somewhat recognizing modified vehicles.

We have SVAO, and yes, they have been fighting this issue. As far as the car clubs getting together, good luck !! Most people just don't care about what's going on until they themselves get nabbed. It's like buying a security system for your home, most will wait till they get broken in then they will get one installed like it's the most important thing in the world. Human nature I guess. Also, most car guys are older and complacent and don't want to make waves.
We do have SEMA here in Canada, but when I tried to contact them to make them aware of the issues at hand, it was a hopeless cause. The worst part is that I'm actually a SEMA member:mad:
I think things will have to get a lot worse before they get better. That's IF they ever get better.

I keep saying it............... Write your mpp and complain to him! And remember who's government is doing this to us at election time

Having played this game since the mid 80s Ill give you guys a free clue.
Your mpp the cops the mto the courts and most other goverment offices would have to care weather you lived or died before they gave a crap about what you think.They dont.But let me assure you they will waste millions and stoop to anything to protect there free ride on your back no matter how broken the system is.And it is broken they know it , but to fix it they would have to stop padding there own pockets . Not going to happen.

Know of guys getting pulled over from the sniffer boys--threats of crazy fines but today is your lucky day and only give you one ticket worth $400 give or take and warning to fix the rest. Latest rumour was them walking around cruise in Barrie I believe and taking pictures and then later identifying them as they pulled out and ticketing them. Will write the local and provincial people as Mike suggests but unless there is a major uprising pretty sure will fall on deaf ears. Do we have a stronger voice somewhere here in Ont/Can???Like was mentioned before and with most issues in Canada most dont care unless happens to them. Wondering tho is it only during weekday cruises??? Keep us posted Mike!! Will need too stand united if going to make a difference and save our hobby from crazy rules n fines.

Shane