Emission controls for hot rods (please read )

The Ontario MOE guys have access to GM casting and stamping numbers, so they know what emission controls a particular engine had in the vehicle in which it was originally installed.
Is the Speciality Vehicle Association of Ontario still in existance? I know that they used to act as a voice for the car hobby in Ontario. If they're still around, it might be worthwhile to see if they would be able to offer any assistance.
By the way Danno, are you the guy with the black suede rat rod in the Port Perry area, or do you know of this person? N2Roddin and I listened to this gentleman at the Port Perry car show back in June, and he had a long sad sorry about being pulled over by the MOE, and fined for emission violations. I saw the car later on in the season, and it looked like some of the violations had been corrected.

My name is Dan, I live on Ontario and obviously have a street rod. You need any additional info like my kid's names and shoe size??

No, but a blood sample may be required. ;) Welcome to the site Danno, and thanks for the heads up. As you stated, something needs to be done about this BS.

I just got tired of all this crap IM tired of feeling threatened by rumors and non knowing government jerks. I parked my modified project and now have a stone stock 1967 Valiant staying stock motor wise and going with a old school Bellflower LOW RIDER style. My 16 year old son just bought a stock 65 Ford Galaxie and hes building around the same style as mine no motor mods.

The Ontario MOE guys have access to GM casting and stamping numbers, so they know what emission controls a particular engine had in the vehicle in which it was originally installed.
Is the Speciality Vehicle Association of Ontario still in existance? I know that they used to act as a voice for the car hobby in Ontario. If they're still around, it might be worthwhile to see if they would be able to offer any assistance.
By the way Danno, are you the guy with the black suede rat rod in the Port Perry area, or do you know of this person? N2Roddin and I listened to this gentleman at the Port Perry car show back in June, and he had a long sad sorry about being pulled over by the MOE, and fined for emission violations. I saw the car later on in the season, and it looked like some of the violations had been corrected.
Not me!!
I haven't been pulled over ! YET !! I hardly drove my car this year because of this B/S.

I find it outrageous that they fine people on the spot, with out giving time (30 days?) to bring it into compliance. Hell, I got pulled over about 28 years ago because my car was four different shades of primer (almost ready for paint) and got an appointment with the ministry for a MTO safety inspection. I had a couple of things to look after and they gave me a month to come back and show that I fixed it - no charges or fines required.

If these new laws were common knowledge it would be different, but it's so obscure and mysterious, how could you possibly know if your car is OK or not?

Are you sure thats the best idea?? Maybe you are already compliant? One does it and so on and so on. I agree to stand up as it is just gettin a little ridiculous in Ontario. Was my understanding that it started with the Rat Rods but pull one over have to pull em all over ?? MOE n cops walking around car cruises and shows writing down block numbers n such then pull em over when they leave --nice tactics flopdicks. I am with ya Danno !!

Shane

Welcome to the site Danno and thanks for the information!

Ever since I was told of people being pulled over for smog equipment I've been wondering where mine fits in. I assumed that because it gets better gas mileage and polutes less that the old Stove Bolt I6's that I was ok. Is there a contact number to ash questions? I'd like to know if just adding Cat's to my exhaust will make me compliant!

well like one person said there's sema think they'll lobby for us canadians too you just have to join

then there's lots of clubs that have done this over the years but allways fall to the wayside because of lack of funding on our part !!

maby it's time for you Ontarians to form such a group and for the rest of us it's coming so don't stick your head in the sand so far it's just the lower mainland that has air care but lots of us go down there at times

from what I've heard carbourated cars that are tunned properly can pass air care quite easily it's just the oil burnners that have a hard time!!

This is the reason I love my 1983 VW Rabbit. While the MOE inspectors know very little about rods and Kustoms...they know even LESS about VWs. People are surprised to know that they came WITHOUT diesel engines in them. It even came without a catalytic converter, stock!

Then again, I live in the Ottawa area, and the smog nazis usually only target the F&F and obnoxiously loud crowd. Because we're right on the border of Quebec, they have no power over those cars, so they aren't around as often.

Dont these guys........... (cops or otherwise) have better things to do............. What a friggin waste of tax payers dollars. What about emmisions on wood burning stoves................ ?

Fordy,
Steve you missed one of my points. The Justice made it pointedly clear..."Was it in compliance the day of the inspection>" No Guilty fine will be $100 and fix the missing pieces. To finish the story I asked," I have looked in and on the car, used the internet, and still could not find what this car was equiped with from the factory." She said, "they told you what was missing have them installed before an inspection."
So I guess they have the power to add emissions equipment as they see fit!!!

The guy ahead of me was charged for a hot air delivery tube to the aircleaner snorkle NOT being attached. He reached over and slid it back on it's position. When he got to court, there was, the justice, bailiff, crown attorney, 2 emmision Nazis the guy charged and his MECHANIC. Are you counting up the salaries involved here? The justice finally said," was it in compliance at inspection?" He said "I guess not" Justice said, guilty fine will be $10!!! TEN DOLLARS!!!!
You want to talk about a waste of taxpayers money!!! Go ahead, just not with me ....OK?

Not so fast, John !! What if you're running one of these blocks?

http://www.motorcityspeedequipment.com/content.asp?page_id=newblock

That can just start the debate if those are even a flathead or just another engine in flathead dress... but I digress.

I have heard a few stories about this stuff recently, and it is quite concerning to say the least. I know SAN (SEMA Action Network)does have a Canadian affiliation, it just seems that it is not as strong up here, as I am sure the revenues and memberships are alot lower. I had been a member for several years but there were very few Canadian issues dealt with. Now I am sure if we all joined in mass that could change the outlook north of the border.

That can just start the debate if those are even a flathead or just another engine in flathead dress... but I digress.

I know nothing about flatheads except the one on my shoulders.:D
It was the first link I found with a new flathead block.

I was asking how to register my 32 sedan, as a Rebuilt, Homebuilt, or Kitcar. Kitcar needs no emissions, for now, but they need a manufacturer's name etc. I have no idea who made it. The frame was made by various people including me. The Homebuilt isn't a good way because of safety standards etc. I did have one done this way before the year 2000 and it was ok. I made the fiberglass body, frame etc. Rebuilt is kind of what is left. I don't want to get an original ownership and worry about getting charged with whatever the Gestapo feels like that day, or the insurance companies for that matter. So my car sits, and I don't want to finish it. I lost all interest in hot rods now, and I don't blame people for not giving me $12,000 for it because I wouldn't either now. I asked at the Windsor office and they said after a Homebuilt or Rebuilt is 7 years old it will need an e test to 1980 standards. It took a few people to get this info. I had heard before from various sources it was 1984, but no reliable sources. Maybe it might pass without a cat. but you could get charged for not having emissions equipment. I want and have already bought roadster style headers which aren't kosher with cats. It may take me 7 years to finish this and then won't pass emissions and then it would be the $450 limit with a $200 test and.... Just thought I would put this out there. I could move up north I guess where there is no emissions, yet. Naa.

Dont these guys........... (cops or otherwise) have better things to do............. What a friggin waste of tax payers dollars. What about emmisions on wood burning stoves................ ?

You are going to shake your head at this, but two years ago we replaced our wood stove and all installations now have to have EPA ratings for emissions as well as the installer must be "WET" certified...... and the city still bitches about wood stoves even thought they ignore the forestry burning slash piles and fills the valley totally with smoke......

Russ

All this hoopla about hot rod and old car emissions. What about the emissions and amount of fuel used at our airports and in our skies. An airplane takes off every few minutes from an airport. No pollution, or fuel wasted there. Our old cars don't even register on the scale of polluters in the big picture, just on usage alone.

I was asking how to register my 32 sedan, as a Rebuilt, Homebuilt, or Kitcar. Kitcar needs no emissions, for now, but they need a manufacturer's name etc. I have no idea who made it. The frame was made by various people including me. The Homebuilt isn't a good way because of safety standards etc. I did have one done this way before the year 2000 and it was ok. I made the fiberglass body, frame etc. Rebuilt is kind of what is left. I don't want to get an original ownership and worry about getting charged with whatever the Gestapo feels like that day, or the insurance companies for that matter. So my car sits, and I don't want to finish it. I lost all interest in hot rods now, and I don't blame people for not giving me $12,000 for it because I wouldn't either now. I asked at the Windsor office and they said after a Homebuilt or Rebuilt is 7 years old it will need an e test to 1980 standards. It took a few people to get this info. I had heard before from various sources it was 1984, but no reliable sources. Maybe it might pass without a cat. but you could get charged for not having emissions equipment. I want and have already bought roadster style headers which aren't kosher with cats. It may take me 7 years to finish this and then won't pass emissions and then it would be the $450 limit with a $200 test and.... Just thought I would put this out there. I could move up north I guess where there is no emissions, yet. Naa.

**A bit OT**

I went through the same thing. If you have no ownership or bill of sale, and do not know who made the body, you will need an MTO appraisal ($50) on the appraisal it will need to say 23 KIT. If you do not have a bill of sale you will pay taxes on the appraised value, so make sure you point out all the "It still needs......" items to keep this value down.

You will need to do up a letter stating where you bought it and that you did you best to find the builder, i.e. "I searched the Internet and contacted local shops, without being able to confirm a builder." Then you will do up a sworn affidavit of where you bought it, how much you paid and that it came with no ownership. If you have a bill of sale you are way ahead of the game.

You will also need pictures of its current state, and copies of all your receipts of things you have purchased for your car. Take copies because you do not get these back.

After the 4th visit to the MTO office, rounding up things you missed (or were not told about) also ensuring that you deal with the same teller each time (this makes things much easier) they will issue you an unfit ownership, and issue you a VIN (if you do not have one). If you are really really lucky they will be told by the phone support person to just issue the title as a 23 Model T and not a KIT.

Its a mildly painful process but its not all that bad, it will end up costing about $100 minus your sales tax and is much more legal then buying and ownership from certain folks at the swap meets.

I have a post around here somewhere where I posted all the steps I went through to get mine.

Just smile, expect to make multiple visits and bury them in paperwork. I went in with over 100 sheets of paper and handed them the stack. They kind of flipped through them quickly and figured I must have everything they required.

**Back on topic**

Last edited:
Fordy,
Steve you missed one of my points. The Justice made it pointedly clear..."Was it in compliance the day of the inspection>" No Guilty fine will be $100 and fix the missing pieces. To finish the story I asked," I have looked in and on the car, used the internet, and still could not find what this car was equiped with from the factory." She said, "they told you what was missing have them installed before an inspection."
So I guess they have the power to add emissions equipment as they see fit!!!

The guy ahead of me was charged for a hot air delivery tube to the aircleaner snorkle NOT being attached. He reached over and slid it back on it's position. When he got to court, there was, the justice, bailiff, crown attorney, 2 emmision Nazis the guy charged and his MECHANIC. Are you counting up the salaries involved here? The justice finally said," was it in compliance at inspection?" He said "I guess not" Justice said, guilty fine will be $10!!! TEN DOLLARS!!!!
You want to talk about a waste of taxpayers money!!! Go ahead, just not with me ....OK?

Wait till your local cities start asking you to have your gas lawn mower inspected or at the very least have a tag on it every year for lets say $35 that shows you paid your annual carbon tax credit for it......plus they hire some guys in black flack jackets to drive around to enforce this lawn mower tag by-law......can you say "TAX GRAB".

Somehow they have come to the conclusion the middle man is an unlimited funds cash cow.:eek:

Russ