CLOSED: Our Crossroads - Another Summary / Next Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to get brutally blunt...

In the very first thread, Frank declared he can no longer finance the forum presently or into the future.

I can count on one hand of those who have actually committed to money, which isn't enough to start Option , or possibly even continue with Option 1.

More people have quibbled about is it $10, or $12, or even $20.
And still no real commitment.

No monies, then its OPTION 1--a slow death.
No need to do any future planning.

I am well aware of the situation. My point is it's pathetic that people who have been using a site for free, that someone else has been paying for, can't pony up $20 or $30 without demanding special privileges for their "massive donation". It's hypocritical to have used something that someone else was paying for and then worry about if others are going to get to use it for free now that they have to/choose to pay for it to keep it going.

Last edited:
Frank
As you know I am in for whatever the cost as I stated earlier this forum is priceless! :cool::cool:

The 3rd option works for me!

Unfortunately without perks there Will be some who won't volunteer a donation which is normal!:confused::confused:

Tim

JBG, I was going to mention something about getting the “donations” going but if we fail at raising the required, I’ll then have to write everyone a refund cheques and spend money on postage. ;)

Frank, I would suggest Interact e-transfer via the banks, it works like a charm.

If not enough money to start Option 3, it can be returned the same way, no cheque writing and no postage or envelopes.

No need for PayPal as there are fees to be paid.

I am well aware of the situation. My point is it's pathetic that people who have been using a site for free, that someone else has been paying for, can't pony up $20 or $30 without demanding special privileges for their "massive donation". It's hypocritical to have used something that someone else was paying for and then worry about if others are going to get to use it for free now that they have to/choose to pay for it to keep it going.

I understand your point, unfortunate as it is, life isn't that way.

If the first 710 active members with 100 posts or more threw in a loonie, guess what, there would be no discussion.
Its only a loonie, the probability of all 710 doing that is not very high.

Last edited:
K13, 1Kool52, Wuga, Tooltime, PG409, JBG, Licensed to Kill, Keeper, 58chev, ratrig, Canuck, sqhd, al37ford, GFaRT, Big M, 56TBIRD, 1950specialdeluxe, Rusty Olds, Old Ray, Hooligan. etc. (and anyone I've forgotten).

Let's try to not let this get to controversial. Everyone makes good points. Honestly, I get both sides of this argument (donation vs. pay for privileges).

There has been the odd time that someone has offered to help support the Forum. If that was you, you know who you are.

BUT, we're talking very rare and I never took anyone up on the offer of a "donation". Maybe I'm my own worst enemy that way but I am not trying to make any money here - period. If I was, I would have given up a long time ago. And, I never felt like dragging anyone else in to pay for the masses.

And, many of the businesses in our Canadian hobby are totally aware of this place. In fact, one used the PM system years ago as a sales tool. And never an offer of support through sponsorship. I have no idea how many others there were.

The fact, that we're still here after 17 years is something that I'm proud of - regardless of the activity, numbers of regular users, etc.

For what it is worth I don’t see introductions as a mandatory item but I do think that they are nice. There has to be a difference between a Supporter and the others or nobody would bother and the forum will die due to lack of funds. I think that all should be able to see pictures, now whether non-supporters are limited to thumbnail viewing is an interesting question.

$20-$30 is nothing compared to what we spend on our cars (don’t tell the other half how much we actually spend 😱😱).

I don’t expect to add anymore, I’ve had my say, so will leave it to Frank.

I’m in and will await payment instructions.

Hello everyone, I’ve been away from posting for a long time, big life changes and now reside on Vancouver island, new projects and not enough time to post much but intend to contribute some more as time permits, anyhow, I’ve been on here 10 years and though I haven’t been posting much in the last year and a bit I look everyday and most days I forget to log in but I’m still around seeing what you all are up to.
Frank you can count me in as a supporter as I’d love to see the site continue as I’ve met some really great people through here and have always enjoyed seeing what’s going on in peoples shops and projects.

GFaRT, if you're looking in, you said:

Before purchasing the new license, can changes be made here to accept payments and turn on the supporter features so that Frank has the funds in hand before spending on new licenses? This way we will know if the support is really there. A $20 annual subscription sounds fair.
Did you mean that we start photo attachments, etc. HERE prior to any conversion? If so, I explained elsewhere why I shouldn't: Like problems with large file sizes.

About funding, see previous post.

Hooligan: Welcome back Dean.

A couple of thoughts:

Numerous comments on paying for a membership, I think you would have to have a variety of methods available. Some don’t like Paypal, some like E-Transfer, no one mentioned credit card, etc. I like E-Transfer, it is quick and easy, BUT it doesn’t work across the border or from other countries.

Membership Identifier would give a degree of credibility to anyone displaying it. Shows they are committed enough to spend some money, not just doing a spam type posts because they have nothing better to do or just for the fun of jerking someone around.

Guest vrs Member. Member seems to be the common status on forums to be able to view pictures, ads, do searches, post to certain areas. May have restrictions to certain areas of the forum.

Sponsor, full access, posting and PMs. (See later comments on this term)
Ads viewable by Members and Sponsors, postable by Sponsors (keeps some of the Riff Raff out), but how does a Member contact a Sponsor to buy a item or get more info on it.

Fee’s. Have to pay the way fully and put some into a kitty for anything that springs up (equipment failures, new software, etc), on an annual basis. How much, As low as possible to attract more members until the point that Vendor discounts could be offered, then it could be increased as membership becomes more valuable. That’s where vendors from across Canada would become important. I feel that the $10 --- 20 per year unless there were other incentives.

Maybe some ads from sponsor corporations that provide a discount to site Sponsor Members (have to change the Sponsor term, I feel that a sponsor gives money either as a gift or a tax break). I know it has been done, but it does work to encourage new paid members to sign up, they are getting something concrete for their money. May take a bit of time for this to get into place. If a member used this properly, it could totally pay his member fees and maybe more. Guys like Welder Series, Horton’s, George Moir, etc., good Canadian shops that are available across Canada, not just certain provinces.

A line of merchandise (Nice stuff that you would like to have, not just buy to help the site out) could help pay the bills too.

The Boss, to be open to suggestions from both Sponsors and Members, but he is the Boss, no questions there. :cool::eek:

Did you mean that we start photo attachments, etc. HERE prior to any conversion? If so, I explained elsewhere why I shouldn't: Like problems with large file sizes.
Understandable. I'll go along with whatever you do in your best judgement and I assume most others will too.

Sorry for a late entry. I really enjoy learning from all of you and seeing your projects. I would be financially supportive as well, even though i rarely sign in. Only access i have is my phone and it a pain to use. I am always busy, but the projects that i'm doing are of no interest to the users here. I come on here when i can to learn and enjoy.
Len

As I said in a previous thread, I am willing to contribute. Don't really care enough about the features or benefits to have an opinion on them, I just want the site to carry on and move forward into the future.

Wow miss a day and there is lots to read in a thread now.
My pea sized brain can’t process these final details of who gets what.

I liked what Wuga said on page 3, post #25 ...... like introductions. If only to tell me what area you are in and where your interests lie, pre 40,s, 50s, 60s, chain saws or whatever.
Guest: no posting, thumbnails only, can view all content, no ads
Member: ads, full posting, thumbnails only, PMs
Supporter: full access, full size photos, PMs, say in direction of site.

I did also like the comment about the roadside assistance coming back.....good feature.

Bottom line for me......$20 or $30 bucks should be easy for us all to pay annually.......who do I make the cheque, PayPal, or etransfer out to ?

in order to save all the space you can all pics should be converted to jpeg or what ever it's called

Status
Not open for further replies.