CLOSED: Our Crossroads - Another Summary / Next Steps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
DATABASE ISSUE WITH CHARACTER SET CAUSED ME TO RECREATE THIS FIRST POST AS THE LAST POST IN THIS THREAD. Go to the last post in this thread to read it.

Guest..just look but gets to see everything but classifieds. Gotta show them something to get them interested to be a member..

Member ..look and post..no direct picture..no messaging..no posting of classified but gets to see them...needs to do a introduction.
Gotta let them do and see some things to get them interested to be a supporter..

Supporter..all the perks...don’t need no gifts....

Last edited:
Guest..just look but gets to see everything but classifieds. Gotta show them something to get them interested to be a member..

Member ..look and post..no direct picture..no messaging..no posting of classified but gets to see them...needs to do a introduction.
Gotta let them do and see some things to get them interested to be a supporter..

Well that pretty much sums it up. I could happily go for that. I’m in.

Sounds good to me!:cool:

Curious why some people seem bent on introductions. I understand having a place for introductions but "need" an introduction????. Why?

Cody, I tend to agree with you. Most don't like doing it. Makes the occasional one more enjoyable. And, could put people off.

Some of the ideas sound great, until put into practice, then they become a huge headache.

Here are some suggestions I have, take what you will out of them.

Supporters - get all the perks, no question about that. Big question - what is the minimum donation to become a supporter? One time? Monthly? Yearly? You get my meaning.

Member - This should be broken up into sub groups:

- New member - has less then 10 (or 20) posts - has restricted access to view all forums - has post access to selected forums i.e. Intros, General etc. - This one step cuts down on a huge amount of hassle and spam that will plague a forum.
-- has no access to the conversations or PM's.
-- has no access to post direct pictures

- Member - Can view everything and post in all forums
-- exception could be made on the classifieds if you want to lock that to the "supporters" group, though that will most likely kill off that section all together.
-- can upload pictures directly to posts
-- can access conversations or PM's - but limited to a certain number of started conversations per day - this restriction does not include replying to existing conversations.

- Guest - Can view most forums
-- cannot see pictures posted in posts
-- cannot post anything
-- is completely locked out of the classifieds and conversation sections

Last edited:
Making it so that you can only see pictures when logged in will most likely result in a lot of your "guests" viewing posts going down.

I, for the most part browse forums as a guest, just as a rule I do not have "auto login" turned on for any of my websites. So you will most likely see an increase in "active users" and a decrease in "guests"

I am in. agree with most comments above. I think non supporting members should be able to see photos....it may encourage them to become supporters.
As to introductions.......it doesn't really matter.
Supporters get PM's, easy photo load and access to classifieds. Members have to use an offsite photo storage site.

I hope we get a reasonable volume of positive responses here! Please !:)

Brian (Keeper), good to hear from you.

In case you didn't read the other sticky posts: the one-time license purchase is about $400 CAD. It varies depending on the US / CAD conversion rate. This includes the first 12 months of upgrades and support. Then the ongoing yearly cost (for available upgrades and support) past the first 12 months is $120 CAD. These are, of course, the fees right now. Like everything, they will go up.

The first hurdle is finding the $400 (or more to cover additional years of support/upgrades).

If you read my introductory post in this thread, I suggested (just an opening suggestion) that for anyone to become a "Supporter", the cost could be $20. About ongoing versus one-time, it may not be necessary to have an ongoing fee IF enough became Supporters. Otherwise, it could be something even less - like $10 or whatever.

Thanks for that. I had seen the total costs going forward, just missed the part about what the supporter tab would cost someone.

I haven't been super active lately, (on any of my forums) working on these damn things all day makes me not want to look at them when I get home!

This all sounds good to me.

Frank,
When pictures are uploaded by a "Supporting Member", is there an option for the software to post a thumbnail of a certain size? Then when clicked on it opens to the original size.

This is on some forums and a "Guest" can see the thumbnail but when they click on it to see the original size, they are prompted to become a member to use that function.

I agree with this other than the classifieds viewing. Isnt the point of the classifieds to get as many views as you can? I understand we need a "carrot" to lure membership, but I dont think this should be it.

Unfortunately a lot of this is starting to sound like guys want a paid private club rather than a public forum.

Frank, the default is that anyone viewing as a guest (true guest or member not logged in) see a thumbnail and gets a prompt:

[FONT=&quot]You must be logged-in to do that.[/FONT]

I agree with this other than the classifieds viewing. Isnt the point of the classifieds to get as many views as you can? I understand we need a "carrot" to lure membership, but I dont think this should be it.
I would tend to agree. "Guest" should be able to see everything except maybe pics. If they see a thread that interests them and can see that there is a picture attached but the only way to see the pic is to be a member, they may see the value in being a member. If they see a thread or a classified ad that interests them the only way to respond is to be a member. This is MORE relevant IMO to classifieds than threads as info can be gleaned from a thread without being a member but a classified ad of interest has zero benefit to a "guest" if you can't respond but may show the value in being a member

Lee, about classifieds, I think what is being said is that anyone can see the classifieds but can't start an ad unless a supporter. A "Member" can still reply to an ad.

K13,
Unfortunately a lot of this is starting to sound like guys want a paid private club rather than a public forum.
Yes and no. I know you think that anyone should be able to post photos (I believe you stated in earlier thread). There has to be some advantage to being a Supporter. If not that, what's left?

About classified ads, over the years, I have seen many hundreds register JUST to place an ad. I believe there are 800 members who have posted once or twice.

I also think we should discuss the Supporter fee (rather than just concentrating on privileges).

Perhaps an affordable fee will prompt more Supporters. Or, not.

Example: What would a Member pay to became a Supporter and get access to photo uploads and access to classifieds?

Another Concern For Me
At some point, with database transactions increasing with photo hosting/resizing, would I have to upgrade the hosting package? :confused:

This is something that is an unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.