CLOSED - A Crossroads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur with what the guys above are saying and will subscribe to be a "Member" as long as the fees are reasonable.

I think that non members should be able to register and have the same privileges we have now such as 3rd party photo hosting. Members would qualify for the new enhanced photo posting, like FB. Somehow I expect there will be a cost to you for hosting all the photos unless there's a way of automatically shovelling them off to a free hosting site, like Imgur, and linking them.

Here, the SVABC has a subscription option with Pay-Pal where you sign up and they automatically relieve you of $5 annually, so you don't have to do it every year. The numbers are a question. If the cost is lower, will more join in and less if the cost is higher? I think we want to encourage more members, so a low fee might work. Worth a try, and if you raise the required funds we go forward. Otherwise we stay with v-bulletin until it dies.

Thank you again for bringing the Canadian rodding community together.

I’m in what ever you decide. I was on the Ontario Rodders site for an while ..liked it a lot. They had a picture posting process that was super easy and was used by many of the members. I think this might get members posting and sharing their projects more..you might be able to gleam some advice from that site as to the program they use.....I’ve got a ton of very usable advice from this site and would really hate to see it go...was also on a tv card site...paying members simple got a contributing member designation under there name...so I’m in no matter what...

Ontario Rodders is my forum.....It just about runs itself. All I really have to do is watch for new members, decide if they are spammers etc. I don't see that they offer the free forum option that I am on, but looking at your figures here, you would fit into their basic plan. The trouble is, you would be starting from scratch. Have a look anyways, it may be worth your while.

https://www.activeboard.com/pricing.spark

My forum if you want to see what they look like....pretty basic.

https://ontariorodders.activeboard.com

edit....I do see a free option.....on the left side of the page

Last edited:
Interesting start: 21 replies and 317 views since 3:30 pm EST yesterday.

Just an observation: As I can see who is looking and who has looked at this thread, there are a lot looking, reading and not responding. That says something obviously. Maybe they'll return with an opinion... :rolleyes:

I posted in the Facebook Group that CRHRC registered users should have a look at this thread. Obviously some saw that as the number of site visits went up substantially from the previous day.

I'm digesting the comments and will try to summarize a few things.

As alluded to before, membership should have its privileges.

There is a car club based in California that has been around since 1948. It became stagnant and wasn't growing or going anywhere. A few others took over and rejuvenated the club in the last few years where it has become international with chapters in most states and 5 provinces, plus Finland, Australia and a few other places.

They ditched the website and strictly went FB for news and cruises. Each chapter also has its own FB group. Photos get posted of the meets and greets but no posting of projects.

They have a two tier membership plan.
Join the FB group and you become a Club supporter only. One gets to order only one piece of merchandise that is a grey t-shirt with club logo.
One can become a "lifetime" member for $65US or $90CDN with no annual dues. Being a lifetime member gets you a drag plate, key chain and a window decal as part of your membership.
Lifetime members then get merchandise choices from black or white T's, shirts, jackets, hats, decals, key chains etc.

There are many other examples of "membership has its privileges" from American Express, Visa, various Loyalty cards, Norton, even Photobucket has a three-tier membership..

So, yes, there should be some sort of incentive to donate and become a member, other than in title only.

The fee structure will be the key, and from the looks of it, photos hosting. The annual dues will always be the "headache" portion. As GFaRt indicated, it could be an automatic thing each year versus asking each year, and most organizations struggle with the latter.

I am disappointed at the low number of responses here. I noticed lots of regulars are visiting the site but saying nothing.

Please educate me - is the Photo Hosting option, what is used by the HAMB etc. to be able to simply post a couple of shots directly from your computer gallery? It is available there without the full $50 US membership.
Is it the bandwidth cost that hinders us?

Keith, agreed

56TBIRD: let’s put the HAMB in perspective. They have more people online at any given time than we have registered users. As we speak, there are 4800 viewing the HAMB. Atomic Industry/ The Jalopy Journal (HAMB & others) is a money making juggernaut. Between ads, companion forums and alliance memberships. Years ago, they had in the 30,000+ members. Likely MUCH higher now. Do the math, if half bought a $50 membership.... Staggering.

This forum has zero income.

Last edited:
Good day all. I was interested in the poll outcome, chose not to post there, just watch to see what would come of it... I was surprised at the amount of traffic but again as said earlier by several...heavy lifting is done by very few; did not surprise me that only a few participated.
In the “early years” I learned that signing in and being “seen“ on line was a measurable tool by the administration, so I have chosen to stay logged in on my phone and/or my lap tops. In my work, and play, I find I have little blocks of time to open up the forum to catch up...not so much to navigate around to other pages (read photo sites etc) and log in or “update”, which I find as a personal attack on my small window of enjoyment time...lol
Posting projects for me is a wonderful way to share; saying this, I don’t share anywhere as much as I would like, usually due to frustration of trying to be engaged enough to “add” to the general discussions. What I mean here is time management vs content, and keeping it real...as I would when we are standing in a garage or sidelines at an event. I work and live in areas that have ‘poor’ internet availability at best. For any of you that have stopped at my place know this... standing in my shop you can receive a text but not likely a call...don’t try to send pictures. Getting kicked off line or having service interruption as uploading files (pictures) is a regular occurrence...remember the frustration levels of updating, signing into various picture sites, then loosing it all as another asteroid or goose goes past Overhead.
Yes I log in to be counted, and need to add more on my builds and thoughts...truely enjoy seeing yours!

Frank, Karen and I have enjoyed this site for many years, and will remain members as long as there is a community and Commrodderie to participate in. We have engaged in loose discussions years past about advertising and support, we still are of the mindset to stay engaged. Paying for an annual fee should be strongly suggested, having tiers for other access privileges would be amazing...of course keeping it in check (price point), to not exclude the newbies and young prospects... the fun for me on this “3rd rock From the sun”, learning from others And Sharing it! A way to make it easier, will increase the ‘value’ for me, when selling it up to others.

At the very least, I have met some very interesting-good people over the years through this forum and have very much enjoyed my stay, Thank You.
Greg & Karen
Hot rodder, not an English major.

This may not be a very well received post but if the main goal of donating is not trying to make this board more attractive to more people then IMO it is a waste of Frank's time and my money. Making people pay for board functions is NOT going to bring people back or attract new users. I see no point in paying a fee to make posting pictures easier so the same 10-20 guys can see them or so those same guys can chat amongst themselves.

If board functionality is part of the donation I am out. I would have no problem if donating got you some sort of small merchandise item sticker, t shirt, etc depending on donation amount but I am not paying for a few guys to have special board privileges that does nothing to attract new members.

I am one of the members watching the discussion here of late. I know my say matters no matter how small or big of a contributor I am. I agree with bash's comments ,will also donate to the cause within reason fee schedule. I will also like to offer $50 up front for the hard work you put into this forum. I have met great people and learned alot from this forum. I am new to this car building thing,and for the first time in 45 yrs fabricating, I now enjoy my job. I must admit ,sharing my ideas and pictures also is very gratifying! I have done many things, and find a forum related to my interests at the time. boating, golf carts, racing,hot rodding,engine swaps,etc to name a few, with only the last 2 remaining. I may lose interest in this also. Without the encouragement of a few forum members, my wife,friends and family and would probably not have found my passion I am enjoying (for now) :
I have to wonder,Frank, you must enjoy this huge task a little bit , but as you say its not `your life`
ok, thats my 2 sense

I have checked out the Ontario group and thought it was pretty good but I will likely never meet up with anyone from there. Great for the folks in that province, all be it, a big province. Is it so important to actually meet with people and put a face to a name....maybe not but it has been a good experience for me. I know a few flatlanders now in my part of the world.
Where I am going with this...again is as far as I know this site is the only national site to talk hot rods, custom cars, fabrication etc. We all know that, that's why we are here.
I try to advertise to others....hey check out this forum there are some cool things going on there.
Maybe with a membership fee there can be like a HAMB tag ....advertising.

Frank, Thanks for host us for almost 20 yrs.

Even though I do not post daily, I do check in just about every weekday. As it is something to do from my desk while at work.

I would gladly pay a membership fee if affordable and if you decide that members get or do not get special privileges than so be it.
I am a member of several forums and there is one that has been around for a long time and they have a tiered membership program/privileges based on how much you pay yearly.

Some site restrict new members to parts of the forums, until they have contributed post wise. Then parts start to open up.

I like this board because it is small. The effort required to follow a thread suits the pace I'm willing to allow the internet to influence my activity. I like its national nature, and it's international drop ins. If contribution is necessary, I'll do it. Boards should be for smaller, more developed relationships. I prefer them to be like the "Vinyl Cafe", the world's smallest record store, where the motto is "We may not be big, but we're small."

I must say I am pretty disappointed with the response to this post. I have been watching the members who have signed on to the forum over the last few days. Lots of regulars.....but not many saying they would be committed to help out here. Kinda sad really. Like it has been said earlier, the few volunteers carry the weight.

Holy cow, I am usually on here every day, but due to all the claims resulting from the Calgary hailstorm, I have not been here for about 9 days or so. Missed all of this discussion.

I would definitely be in favor of contributing to ensure the future of the site.

This was the very first forum I ever joined and have enjoyed it immensely. I have met many people thru here that I would not otherwise meet. Taken part in some part relays and other comrodderie.

I don't usually start threads, but offer advice or knowledge if I feel I have something to contribute. I hardly take any photos of anything for myself anymore as I find I rarely go back and look at them. I would be inclined to take more (eg build or tech photos) and post if it was a direct, easy operation.

I must say I am pretty disappointed with the response to this post. I have been watching the members who have signed on to the forum over the last few days. Lots of regulars.....but not many saying they would be committed to help out here. Kinda sad really. Like it has been said earlier, the few volunteers carry the weight.

Watch what you ask for! Guilt is a very poor motivator. Just because they haven't said something YET does not mean they are not committed, and committed to WHAT, maybe this maybe that, do you want a blank cheque ? Tell me how much and I will give you a yes or no. Kieth I have carried my weight in anything I have done and resent that remake. Yes, you are pissed but guess what, me too, now. Are you a official spokesperson for Frank ?

I love this site and will support it but I need to know how much. Sorry for being rude but you should not have pushed that button.

It is my understanding that Frank wanted dialog and input and discussion. I knew this issue without firm options / choices would cause trouble and discontent. It has.

Ray. I needed to push that button. No...I am not Franks spokesman. One member told me some time back that he is a reader and not a writer. That seems to be all too common. I can relate some other volunteer stories but maybe I will do a separate thread. Maybe. 19 members have responded to this thread.

Frank prompted us a week ago with the issues.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone. Thanks for all the input-to-date. I was doing outside work today and am just getting back to look and digest all of this.

I will attempt to offer more input perhaps tomorrow. I don't want anyone to think that things could go south any minute - although they could. In fact, I may make a complete backup of the forum tonight before I go to bed. Not the best thing to do before bed...

I do hope things work out and we can go forward. I've put in about 2 days work so far just testing forum software and creating a complete clone of this forum in case I need it down the road.

It is my understanding that Frank wanted dialog and input and discussion.
Ray, you're absolutely correct. I did say "So, let's discuss". I believe that Keith was frustrated about the silence AT THAT POINT. I must admit, so was I but it is Saturday (I think :)) and some (like Scotty) are just stumbling in. Clearly, when there are nearly 600 views, some people are interested.

My long "epistle" did not get into any details about funding as it was only meant to lay out the situation and provide what I believe to be the options.

There's a way to go in order to put together a THE strategy. For now, we are gathering YOUR input relative to what we all want to happen (or not).

Should a funded solution be the choice, as you have read, we have differing opinions about how it should be handled (privileges versus not and so on). I think that there have been some excellent points made on both sides. I'm not being diplomatic. Simply thinking it through like you are.

Given that a forum has many elements and could have more, there are many ways to approach what are called "permissions". That is, what people can see, do and so on. Again, if we migrate to another solution, that will have to be figured out.

As I said above, I hope we do. Someone said that I must like being the Admin a bit. Sometime yes but it can also be a drag. Over the years, and Judy can attest to this, I've spent literally many hundreds, if not thousands, of hours caring for this place.

But, this place along with the main site has provided me with MANY connections and friendships across the country - some "virtual" and, I'm happy to say, many up front and personal as we've traveled across the country a few times west and east (and south).

Keith, at the moment it appears I'm a "writer" and a "reader" (I know you weren't referring to me). ;) Good thing I'm a decent typist after all this time.

In any case, let's stay upbeat regardless. It's a nasty time for the human race. Let's make sure it's not nasty here.

Cheers. More later and keep offering any thoughts you may have even if they show indifference. I'm sure there are many that are indifferent. That's OK too but we have to make sure that we do the right thing for those that AREN'T.
p.s. Mike (CWORD), I miss the Vinyl Cafe but I like your comparison.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind is the cross thread confusion. I supported a fee for keeping Frank going but now that post is gone? I thought it was this one but looking through the posts It ain't there! As said b4, I'm in. As for the reader/writer comment, I can relate...people I've NEVER met have approached me at local shows & said they like or don't like my posts...umm, how did they know it wuz me? Lurkers, COME Clean & get in here!!!!!!!!!!!

Al, I think you’re referring to the closed thread. “About the future / this forum”. You replied there.

Status
Not open for further replies.