CLOSED - A Crossroads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
This is a long read. And, you should read everything. Are you comfortable? Need a beverage?

Just by the way, I closed down the other two “sticky” threads: “About the Future / This forum” and “Would it surprise you?” (poll).

Thank you for your input to both threads and votes in the poll (47 votes / 619 views - obviously lots of repeat viewings to check out responses and checking poll results). Since I posted the poll, the average number of registered users visiting per day dropped to 50 over the last 4 days (June 22-25) – almost equal to the number who voted. Coincidence?

Other Interesting Stats

This may surprise you:

• So far, in 2020, the average number of unique visits per month to CanadianRodder.com (including the forum) is 12,604
  • The number of visits to this Forum in the last full month (May) was 5,932. This includes ALL visitors. That is, those logged in as “registered users”, those not logged in, those not registered (“guests”).
Also Interesting - User Stats (Relative to 3267 Registered Users)

• Top poster is 1Kool52 with over 10,000 posts (applause here). Other honourable mentions: John In Oz @ 8,296, Bullet @ 7,400 and PG409 @ 6,676.
  • 20 Registered Users have over 2000 posts
  • 60 Registered Users have over 1000 posts
  • 120 Registered Users have over 500 posts
  • 210 Registered Users have over 200 posts
  • 300 Registered Users have over 100 posts
  • 300 Registered Users have BETWEEN 20 and 100 posts
  • 780 Registered Users have BETWEEN 2 and 9 posts
  • 300 Registered Users have 1 post
  • 2037 Registered Users have 0 posts
About The Poll

Why did I conduct the poll?

A couple of reasons:
  • I was curious about what YOU perceived to be the level of activity – keeping in mind, as someone pointed out, that visits have nothing to do with obvious, visible, activity (replies, new threads, etc.). That is, a lot of users come to just look (lurk so-to-speak). This is not uncommon on any forum, social media platform or web site.
  • I was also curious about how many would be interested enough to participate in a poll (or make a comment).
About Facebook
I am disillusioned with it for the most - both personally (as me) and other (representing Canadian Rodder). I suppose it has its place and use. BUT, it's simply not a “discussion” - more like "look at me" or please like my car or please look at my photos of whatever or check out my opinion. I find that I am going there less and less - especially in these times - simply too much BS and opinions. I do however try to be courteous and acknowledge those providing information that may be interesting to others within our generic hot rodding community.

Regarding the Canadian Rodder Hot Rod Community Group at Facebook (started July 9, 2019 / some of you are members there), membership is at approximately at 400 and growing. Similar to the stats above, most have not contributed anything. I have to manually approve each member there also. Would you believe that some people are members of HUNDREDS of Facebook groups. Incredible. I have no idea why or how you could possibly have the time or inclination to review your “news feed” if part of that many groups.

Having said that, things will remain as they are there.

About This Forum

This Forum is an adjunct to the Canadian Rodder web site. Some of you may not even be aware that there is one. If not, you can find it HERE. It has been around since the fall of 2000 (20 years almost). It is being rejuvenated and refreshed. In order to be able to provide that site and this forum, there are annual hosting fees (being paid by me - for these 20 years).

In 2003, I added a discussion forum to Canadian Rodder by utilizing what is known as “open source” software. That is, free and supported by developers and a community of users.

In 2008, because of increased activity, ongoing technical issues that were driving me crazy and keeping me up to all hours, I migrated to commercial software (vBulletin). That involved purchasing a license and, over time, subsequent upgrades. The software has been upgraded over 15 times since then – sometimes more than once in a calendar year.

For a few years, I was able to attract sponsorship. I pulled the plug on that when I felt that there wasn’t value in asking companies to pay as activity declined. This was an ethical decision on my part. I left the ads up however, as a thank you to those companies. You may have noticed that I pulled the whole right sidebar down (where the sponsors were) not long ago. You may also have not noticed (he says tongue–in-cheek).

About vBulletin / This Version

The Forum is currently running on version 3.8 (you can see this at the bottom of any page). It is still the most popular and successful version of vBulletin despite the fact that there was a version 4 (less popular) and now a version 5 (not well accepted). The main developers of vBulletin left after a takeover and started another company specializing in community forums.

About Photo Attachments in this version: I have done exhaustive testing and, while adding photo attachments is working (more or less), really large files fail. Many/most cameras and smartphones now take relatively huge photos (pixel size in width and height and file size expressed in megapixels). When this version of vbulletin came out, 640 X 480 pixels was not uncommon (.3 megapixels).

Now, 3, 4, 5 megapixels and greater is common. The latest smartphones have 12 megapixel cameras built in. All of this is important as it relates to the processing ability of the forum software and host software. And, a lot of people don’t know how, or have the resources, to make their images smaller. BTW, there are lots of free, online, image editing/compression web sites. https://resizeimage.net/ https://picresize.com/

About Private Messaging (PMs): The private messaging system is also more or less working but the database is still not right when I run diagnostics. I have no idea why - despite trolling tech sites for insight. I believe something was corrupted in one of the version upgrades. It was also abused prior to the issues but that’s another story.

MOST Importantly About the Current Software

There is a VERY REAL possibility that the hosting company is going to pull the plug, literally anytime, on the version of PHP that I am running on (ver. 5.4 - current versions are 7+). PHP is the scripting language powering the forum. Like the engine. I converse with forum admins that have experienced this. It is not uncommon.

Should this occur, everyone will get a "page not found error 404" (like the image below). The database which houses the data would still be there. Theoretically, it could be used to migrate to different software. I would have to do a full backup every day to preserve current data.

404.jpg

Also, this version has been end-of-life for a few years now. This means that the parent company of vBulletin decided to cut technical support and upgrades for both security and functionality – likely a marketing strategy to force the purchase of the latest version.

What Does All This Mean?

There are a few options:

1. Do nothing and simply wait for things to take a natural course / let the forum die.. That is, the 404 error noted above.
  2. Utilize one the current open-source (free) forum software packages and attempt to convert the database. Ongoing support and upgrades for these are spotty and we could find ourselves at a similar crossroads.
  3. Purchase a software license for current commercial forum software (not vBulletin as I am advised.) The current software would be installed by me and I would use one of the converters available to attempt to populate the new database with the current / existing data (registered users, threads, posts, directory structure, etc.) In other less technical words, it would look slightly different but the same content would be there.
For example, look at the image below, this is the second demo forum that I have had up and running to test the functionality of one of the available software packages. This is not how it would ultimately look colour-wise, logos, etc. but you get the idea.

demo.jpg

From My Perspective

I would seriously hate to see 15,000 threads and 205,000 posts disappear.
Needless to say, this will take a tremendous amount of dedicated time in order to not have the forum shut down for a long period but I’m prepared to donate my time as I have been if…..

FYI: The latest versions of all commercial software have improved data and photo handling.

Purchase / License Options for Option 3 Above

There are many including: pay by month, pay by year, one time purchase plus a yearly option for ongoing support and upgrades. My preference would be the latter: purchase a license then pay a nominal fee yearly for the support and upgrade option.

Summary

While I’m prepared to move forward into the future and hopefully attract new users (or previous users or both), I’m not prepared to fund this migration. At the risk of sounding like I’m complaining, 20 years is enough.

As a result, funding would have to come from the community which raises a slew of other issues like:

• How many would “donate”?
  • Would we collect enough? If we don’t, then we’re back to square one essentially.
  • Should those who donate have special privileges? E.g. photo attachments, PMs, member stickers, etc. They could become “Members” and be shown as such and not simply registered users.
  • Should there be donation levels? Again, what about special privileges?
Not related to donations, should anyone be able to view the forum if not registered? At present, anyone can see anything but you have to be registered to post. If “guests” can’t look, they wouldn’t be able to understand if they were interested in registering.

Note: We have been down this road a few times over the years and there has always been support and opposition to financial support.

I have always been of the mindset that the few should not pay for the many (despite the fact that I was paying for the many). Hence the idea of special privileges.

There are other options and consideration for sure but my fingers are getting tired….

So, let’s discuss.

Last edited:
Quite bit of info to digest. Appreciate the openness.

Might as well cut to the chase right off the bat.
One big question to start as its probably a key one:

Option 3 of purchase a license and pay a yearly upgrade fee.
What is the cost of the license and what is the yearly fee?

Licenses can be expensive, and yearly fees can amount up too.

The answer will determine the outcome and if the forum will move forward in a different format, i.e. will there be enough members stepping up to the plate to save the forum.

This may start the conversation or end it.

Frank.......the money issue is important. But more importantly are you prepared to invest the time? And the energy ?
Just reading your post made ME weary.

Yes Frank, we can’t thank you enough for what you have done since the start.

Facebook has its place but is not a conversation location. The forum is what I prefer, I check at least a couple of times a day and may or may not comment, but like many I’m still here.

I know that I and many would be happy to pay an annual fee to keep things going. But, unless somebody else could do it, you would be the one giving of your time. I agree that guests/visitors would need access else we cut off the source of new members.

Let’s hope that we get plenty of discussion.

OK, to answer the first two questions and to make a comment:

• Brian (1Kool52): About the forum software only, depending upon the number of modules purchased to run the forum and make it comparable, the one time purchase would be between $219.00 - $397 Canadian (converted from US funds at today's rate. $219 gets you the basic forum structure. $397 gets the basic + media manager + a resource manager. This is the better deal and is a one-time purchase. The yearly renewal cost is between $75 - $120 (CAD). Again, depending upon what was purchased in the one-time license. Also based on current pricing at today's exchange rate.
  • Keith (PG409), My apologies for the huge, lengthy post but it was important to share everything I had. Yes, it can make you weary (meaning me). I was 20 years younger when I started this. About my commitment, I wouldn't be putting all this time into options, running demo forums etc. if I was wasn't willing to commit. Thanks for asking though.
  • Gary (Rusty Olds), I really don't think that anyone else can do it or would do it without incurring extra costs. For example, I could hire someone who has done many migrations but the cost is horrific.

well don't know how much longer I will be here (three by passes later) but will contribute my share get kinda tired of face book
all though it's nice to be able to keep track of my kids

I still look in and very occasionally comment on here and fb but having changed direction in my life I sold the bulk of my projects and am concentrating on finishing the 42 but very slowly .
Don’t take pics so I don’t post any.

I am not a super active member here but do find it a fun forum and a useful resource for us Canadians and I think you for your efforts.

The question I would have is would the new software allow photo hosting without any editing required? Photo hosting is one of the reason I don't contribute more. I can use photo hosting sites but to me it's not worth the hassle to spend time editing photos so they actually work with sites like Imgur, saving them to those sites, having to go back and forth copying image links etc. for things like build threads.

I would have no problem contributing financially to keep this site going on new software. Costs seem more reasonable than I would have thought and I would think even from the last thread enough would contribute to make it feasible.

Personally I don't like the idea of giving special privileges to paying members. I think it would dilute the content even more and drive away members who either can't afford to contribute or just don't think it is worth it. To me contributing money would be about what I think the forum is worth to me not whether or not someone else is not paying for the same privileges. I also think attracting new members, if that is the ultimate goal, would be more difficult if you have different features for paying and non paying members.

It will be an interesting conversation.

Well Frank - we already owe you a great deal for the effort you have put in to this "mission". For someone who says "admin "not" being your life" , it seems to have taken a lot of it.
My highlight has been meeting many of the members on the forum (including you) and so it really does have a family feel to yakking to each other with our problems.
Thanks again - however it works out!

EDITED:

OK, to answer the first two questions and to make a comment:

• Brian (1Kool52): About the forum software only, depending upon the number of modules purchased to run the forum and make it comparable, the one time purchase would be between $219.00 - $397 Canadian (converted from US funds at today's rate. $219 gets you the basic forum structure. $397 gets the basic + media manager + a resource manager. This is the better deal and is a one-time purchase. The yearly renewal cost is between $75 - $120 (CAD). Again, depending upon what was purchased in the one-time license. Also based on current pricing at today's exchange rate.

Thank you. "We" had to get that off the table as it may have stifled the conversation if not known.
I had visions of a couple grand or higher and pretty hefty yearly fees.
These are all very manageable and are not insurmountable costs; well within the reach of many contributors.

As to the how, that is the next conversation.
Your suggestions:

1. How many would “donate”?

That is a good question. In the past, there were a few who did "volunteer" to donate funds on a few occasions, but there wasn't a lot who stepped up. Recently, there has been a few who wanted to "chip" in but again, its only a few.
There would be a one time fee and annual dues. Its the dues portion that could become the messy part if some decided not to continue for what ever reason.
Do you invite the top 20 posters to become members. If 20 is the magic number, then an initial fee could be $25 each and the annual fee could be $10, thus building up a small bank account to account for drop outs, exchange rate fluctuation and any increases in the yearly fee or for the purchase of newer modules.
OR do you lower it to the top 10 posters first, with the fees adjusted of course, and then drop it down to the next level depending how many of the top 10 became super members, but keep it to a total of 10 only. Also see number 2 for additional comments.

2. Should those who donate have special privileges? E.g. photo attachments, PMs, member stickers, etc. They could become “Members” and be shown as such and not simply registered users.

I would say yes to this. I like the idea of recognizing those who donate.
And maybe thats how you get more users to register and to donate is to give them the special privileges. Use the KISS principle.

My first thoughts, there will be more as I digest this more, and as to what others have to say.

Last edited:
I agree with K13. I would gladly donate each year but do not want special privileges or recognition.

Frank
I come here quite often to lurk!!!!!!!

It takes me for ever to do an update on projects that i am working on!!!!

I don,t make a lot of comments but definitely would like the FB thumbs up idea!!!!

As for the costing I am "in" no matter how much it is, because the number of people we have meet through our involvement with the tours and this forum, is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with the comments re FB!!!!!!! I look in on it and give some thumbs up to our members posts otherwise it is just something to peruse when the wife has a show on that isn't of interest!!!!!!!!!

A heart felt THANK YOU for all you have done and continue to do:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

A big bone to chew on...

Like I've said before, the limited capacities of this forum (long ago) have extinguished my enthusiasm.

I don't know how you bring it back to what it once was, but I do appreciate your efforts and I hope it lives.... stronger, faster and better than it was before. (Six Million Dollar Man reference.)

Beyond that, I've saved and I will carefully read your post, Frank. I'm a long term member of several forums... some are struggling, others are not, but I'll come back to this thread and offer constructive thoughts and opinions when I've reviewed your post and can speak to the issues presented individually...

I don’t know how long I have been here but it goes back several years, I was intimidated to post the first few but now it’s not so scary. Really appreciate the effort that Frank puts in behind the scenes....the tech talk of I.T. looses me.
I remember the days before internet when I got my first Mustang, a phone call led to another, he knew a guy you could call...led to another and so on. Libraries were of no use usually. Then.....the internet showed up !
I’m rambling here but really.....I have not found a better site, specifically involving us Canadians.
I am willing to pay an annual fee...name your price.
Private messaging ....no big deal, many of still know how email, text is pretty common.
The picture posting was a challenge after Photo bucket tanked but I have this figured out now too with Imgur.
I hope from this day forward the forum continues and possibly grows back to strength and activity of its early days. Now who do I send an etransfer to ?

I’m in what ever you decide. I was on the Ontario Rodders site for an while ..liked it a lot. They had a picture posting process that was super easy and was used by many of the members. I think this might get members posting and sharing their projects more..you might be able to gleam some advice from that site as to the program they use.....I’ve got a ton of very usable advice from this site and would really hate to see it go...was also on a tv card site...paying members simple got a contributing member designation under there name...so I’m in no matter what...

Last edited:
Hmm First off I would like to thank you very much for all the years, time and other you have spent to entertain us like minded fellows here Frank!

I don't see anything wrong with certain priviledges given to paying members. I see it as an incentive. There are simular things on other forums,ie; after so many posts on some forums you get a few more priviledges, gaining access to PM's is one. That "other" forum has something called an "Alliance" member which I believe is a paid for membership, it also garners a discount at a few places when buying parts (or so I was led to believe)?

From all my years of volenteer work I do know that it almost always falls to a core few to do the heavey lifting so to speak, and through the years that core usually gets smaller and smaller. Leaving a grim outlook. In this case the fee's seem reasonable spread out say, amoungst members so long as they are able and willing to pay and feel that they are getting bang for their buck. As we all know though fee's rarely stay the same for long and paying memberships can dwindle. Tough call I would hate to see the costs get to be too much either from rising prices or falling membership. It would be a shame to lose this venue. As I have said before it is a great place to come and spend some time and meet some like minded folks.

As for FB I agree 100% it is not the place to have conversations, oh short ones perhaps but as others have said a build thread would be nye imposible to follow. It does have it's place, even though some seem want to shame others for being on it. I will also agree with you Frank these days there is WAY to much BS, crap and negative shit all over it. I have taken a break from the crap and only visit the few car pages I am a member of. I don't even look at my feed these days!

As for me I have to admit that it would absolutely depend on how economical it would be for me, funds these days are very limited in a world where everything is getting sky high. Having said that again I have always enjoyed it here and would hate to loose it. I would be up for contributing provided it is within the budget for me. That's unfortunately the long and short of it for me.

Last edited:
Whatever you decide Frank, I’m in. I don’t mind paying a to be part of it. You have my support.

I went into the background--pain in the butt to post pictures--still working on the car but getting older and slower--still working 8 hours a day so lots of nights I want too go to the shed but the body says no--still like looking in though:D

Status
Not open for further replies.