1962 Triumph Roadster Project

Brendan and Darryl

Yup, it was a TR3. These guys have about 20 TR3's in various states....
about a dozen TR4/TR4A's.....several TR6's.......4 TVR's......a Peerless GT
and more.

Here is a link to their site

www.drakesbritishmotors.com

Be sure to check out all their cars for sale, plus their "keepers"
Thanks for the link Keith their prices seem reasonable, after looking closer I saw it is a TR3, there is a Daimler Dart not far from me in a building. I should check on it, I haven't seen it in about 30 years. Good luck with your 4.

Nice Keith! I will have to swing by the shop one day when in town and see your new arrival!

It's a Canadian tradition that when visiting someone who has a new arrival, your suppose to bring a present......as in what part does he need:D:D

Last edited:
Triumph had problems with steel wheels in 1962 and they got American Racing Wheels to supply rims called "Silverstones".
They are pretty rare and here is a photo of one. Minilite and others made similar wheels, and some are still available, but not the ARW wheels....anybody know of some??

americanracingsilverstonewheels.jpg

Not a wise move showing parts junkies rare pieses of a car you are trying to build. :D

Dave

They show up on Ebay occasionally and there is some for sale out there.
Panasport and Minilite and others make similar wheels and even new they
are NOT cheap !!
And,to go wire wheels when the car was not so equipped originally is really cost prohibitive. But, I am putting the wheel before the cart here anyway....
we are like crows, like to get shiny stuff to inspire us, I guess. :)

Do you know the bolt pattern Keith? The kid has some 14 inch minilite type wheels on his 260Z. I think they were Carroll Shelby brand.

Sheldon

Keith, don't forget about backside setting - critical on these cars. Went through this with a TR6.

That wheel looks an awful lot like the EMPI 8 spoke wheel for the old VW's. Just add a spinner cap. Those are 15" x 5.5" wide with a backspacing. The only thing is that VW uses 4X130 mm rather that 4X4.5 Many years ago when I had my TR4, I found a deal on a set of wire wheels for it... What a pain in the butt. They got worn on the spline and you had to hammer them off, hard to clean, and one adapter broke wreaking a front fender. Then I ordered a set of CDN slotted polished mags.... shiny!

Russ

Keith, don't forget about backside setting - critical on these cars. Went through this with a TR6.

Thanks, Frank, I was aware of that. I think I will just (eventually) order some from Moss Motors spec'd to the TR.

Did i miss when the car was to arrive? Do you have it now?

Well have to call you 'the teabagger' from now on Kieth.

Brian

Yup, they have a perimiter frame. The body comes off the frame as a unit as the inner fender structure front and rear is part of the intregal body (cabin).
Just like this TR6.......

GeorgeSmathers-HA.jpg

More body photos and a restored frame. Keep in mind that when Triumph raced at Lemans and Sebring in enduro races their 4 bangers ran in excess of 200 (net) h.p.

redtr4body.jpg

triumphtr4frame.jpg