1962 Triumph Roadster Project

PG409

Supporting Member
Well, we finalized the deal on a 1962 TR4 and the car will show up in my garage in mid-may. Already have a 302 in the garage for it......
Wife sez I cannot work on it until fall when we will start mocking up the engine/trans/steering, etc. Then body off the frame and all that stuff....:)

TriumphTR4atDrakes.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the TR 3's, 4's & 6's and apparently there was a TR5 ( same body as the TR4 ). But when they introduced the TR7 wedge, it was over for me, what an ugly car.

Anyway, your TR4 with a 302 stuffed in her, should be a scream.

B-Bob, I believe the first small photo is the car Keith bought, it has steelies & caps, not wires like the other black TR.

I really like the TR 3's, 4's & 6's and apparently there was a TR5 ( same body as the TR4 ). But when they introduced the TR7 wedge, it was over for me, what an ugly car.

Anyway, your TR4 with a 302 stuffed in her, should be a scream.

B-Bob, I believe the first small photo is the car Keith bought, it has steelies & caps, not wires like the other black TR.

Thanks Bullet i never noticed that.

My first car was a red 1963 tr4. I had a lot of fun in that thing and after I hopped it up (11:1 compression Jahns pistons, 3/4 race cam, hooker header, heads ported and polished, electronic ignition, tr6 competition clutch and pressure plate etc) it would keep up with most V-8 cars.:D

Russ

That looks good Keith, I don't know if you recall when you were here and I was talking about the 4 and the 4A, your car is what we refered to as the A noticable by the bulge in the hood, the early 4 had a flat bonnet (sorry hood) and different grill, yours looks like it has the early 4 grill in it, the later one had what looked like just the cross bars and not the uprights as well. I wonder if someone had replaced the hood or grill at some stage. But I have the feeling by the time you are ready to rip into it you'll know more about them the rest of us put together.

Yea I can see you sitting on your hands until Fall, :):rolleyes: not.

I would like to see the conversion kit if that is what you use, it will be a very interesting project, I've always liked those TR's exept the 7 which had the same engine as the Rover V8 I think it was.

Last edited:
The 4A had dual exhaust, dual SU's and it would have had a TR4A badge on the trunk lid.
It's most likely a 4 with a 4A hood & grill.

1965_Triumph_TR4A_IRS_Roadster_For_Sale_Engine_1.jpg

triumph_tr4a.JPG

Last edited:
I don't think so, the hood is to sqaure to be a Dailmer Dart, and the low cut in the top of the door is also another indicator that it isn't a Daimler, looks to be a TR3.

034bc60dbd054015bea4712a1bc4d97f.jpg

Last edited:
Brendan and Darryl

Yup, it was a TR3. These guys have about 20 TR3's in various states....
about a dozen TR4/TR4A's.....several TR6's.......4 TVR's......a Peerless GT
and more.

While we're on the subject of TR4's.
How many can say they've actually seen or even heard of one of these.

GTR4A Dove

1963_Triumph_Dove_GTR4_TR4_Hardtop_GT_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg

1963_Triumph_Dove_GTR4_TR4_Hardtop_GT_For_Sale_Rear_resize.jpg

Brendan and Darryl

Yup, it was a TR3. These guys have about 20 TR3's in various states....
about a dozen TR4/TR4A's.....several TR6's.......4 TVR's......a Peerless GT
and more.

Oh I love the TVR's, but I bet they're not going cheap.

TVR Tuscan & TVR Vixen
tvr5_1448212c.jpg
1970_TVR_Vixen_13B_Power_Autocross_Car_Rear_1.jpg

They were all made in my hometown and all had the trademark 'Oil leaks'.
So much fun to drive around the old windy roads and i''m guessing with the updated power plant it will hum along nicely.Luckily it was built well before the three days I worked there.