1954 Ford F100 Build

dale48mrc

Supporting Member
Weeelllll! I said I was gonna start this awhile back,so here it is.I have posted some pics in the "What did You Today"do thread already so we'll go from there.As you all know i recently started on the new frame for the 54 so here's where we are at.
This pic is of the boxing plates being created from 3/16ths mild steel
P8090042.jpg

I created a template from cardboard and then transfered that to the steel ,and cut them out with careful use of cut off wheels.
The finished plates
P8170044.jpg

These next pics are of the first mock up of the front suspension.Everything is just tack welded in.
P9030046.jpg

P9030047.jpg

P9030048.jpg

Now we are on to the first mock up of the cab and the fenders
P9040049.jpg

P9040050.jpg

Oops,this is where I notice that something ain't right! I set the Xmember at a measurement I took off my old frame,but the wheels aren't centered in the fender,look at the inside,way off!!!!!
P9040052.jpg

Now to explain,the measurement I took was correct,I merely forgot to allow for the 2 inches the old frame had lopped off the frame horns.Remember tacked in!
So here we are at today,Xmember moved 2 inches back,tacked in,suspension back on, and the full front sheetmetal mocked up.
P9050001.jpg

Here's the ride and projected stance of the truck.
P9050004.jpg

The wheels are now centered
P9050003.jpg

P9050005.jpg

Now I have to take all the sheetmetal and suspension of the frame.After that done I can finish weld the xmember ,hats and boxing plates.Re-install the cab and mock up the engine and tranny ,tack in the mounts and then the real building starts!
Oh and a tease for you all...................the eventual colour!
P9040056.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
54 F100 Build

Just a note to say nice stance and looking good! Keep the pictures coming (I know we're one to talk, but they really are coming soon!) The color is beautiful! Will it be two-tone, flames, or ???? Aaahhhh, the joys of a tease!

Eugene and Jackie Hunter

Dale good for you mate you are powering up now, good to see. Thanks for posting the progress please do keep us posted on the progress shots.

Last edited:
Looking great Dale. That burnt orange colour will really compliment the truck's curves. Are you going to keep the vent on the P/S A-Pillar? Looking forward to more ... more ... and more!! :D

Best of luck with your build :)

Dale, looking good.
A suggestion...keep the front cross-member tack welded for now until the rear end is mocked up to check for squareness and the final w/b measurements.

110 inches plus 1.25 inches to centre the front wheels.

Your project is looking good, new rails and a killer paint color! Looking forward to more :cool:
Greg

looks really good!! is that the f100 that had a funky front bumper from a crysler car or something like that?

Right on Dale, i am happy for you, you're finally making some good progress.
Excuse me if i am wrong, but i didn't think the factory centered the front wheels either. I have read how-to's on moving the fender opening to center it. I could be wrong...again.
Anyway try and get as much done as you can before winter comes, especially getting the frame set up. Just seeing it that far along, will give you the inspiration to keep going.

Lookn good Dale have loved the f100s since I was a kid the guy round the corner had a sweet baby blue one with wide whites.Keep us posted Mark.

Edited:

R
Excuse me if i am wrong, but i didn't think the factory centered the front wheels either. I have read how-to's on moving the fender opening to center it. I could be wrong...again..

Correct B-Bob in that the factory did not center the front wheels. Two ways to do:
1. move the wheel well opening as you suggest, however the downside is the bulkiness in front of the wheel is even more dramatic.
2. if installing MII/IFS, move the suspension forward by 1.25 inches.

if one was keeping the stock axle or installing a dropped axle, you can now buy "forward" springs which moves the axle forward by 1.25 inches.

looks really good!! is that the f100 that had a funky front bumper from a crysler car or something like that?

Very little of it!The bumper was from a 54 Mercury car.The majority of the truck hit the scrap pile due to some real bad fab work ,and major rust issues.

Right on Dale, i am happy for you, you're finally making some good progress.
Excuse me if i am wrong, but i didn't think the factory centered the front wheels either. I have read how-to's on moving the fender opening to center it. I could be wrong...again.
Anyway try and get as much done as you can before winter comes, especially getting the frame set up. Just seeing it that far along, will give you the inspiration to keep going.

Thanx ,Brian!The measurement I used was from TCI`s website and from measurements I took of the old frame.The boxing plates will get finished welded and the rest of the frontend when I get a set of rear springs.I bought what I thought was the proper springs for the truck(Used!),but the seem to be too long.I`m gonna have to get an assembly manual to help. I`m planning on using the original style ford rear set up and doing an axle flip(Moving the axle from under the springs to on top of.) to get the back end down.I`m trying to keep costs down.

It's kind of refreshing to see you make a detailed post which does not include any reference to a particular African mammal species (of wooden construction) to which you are a known hoarder there of.

Nice progress there little fella. Keep it up.

It's kind of refreshing to see you make a detailed post which does not include any reference to a particular African mammal species (of wooden construction) to which you are a known hoarder there of.

Nice progress there little fella. Keep it up.

Really,Tin!You have to seek some form of professional therapy for your penchant and obsession with wooden facsimles of simians.It has become painfully obvious to all your peers herein that you suffer from monkey envy!!!!!

Thanx for the kudos ,big fella! I'll keep you all in the loop.

Just a note to say nice stance and looking good! Keep the pictures coming (I know we're one to talk, but they really are coming soon!) The color is beautiful! Will it be two-tone, flames, or ???? Aaahhhh, the joys of a tease!

Eugene and Jackie Hunter

If you go back in the 'What Did You Do Today"thread there is pics of my recntly done beer fridge,it'll match the truck!

Edited:

Correct B-Bob in that the factory did not center the front wheels. Two ways to do:
1. move the wheel well opening as you suggest, however the downside is the bulkiness in front of the wheel is even more dramatic.
2. if installing MII/IFS, move the suspension forward by 1.25 inches.

if one was keeping the stock axle or installing a dropped axle, you can now buy "forward" springs which moves the axle forward by 1.25 inches.

Thanks OB, good to know. At least i haven't forgotten everything i ever knew.
The m11 sounds like the way to go.

Dale it looks like your going by leaps and bounds now good for you there young fella:D