1949 Chevrolet Pickup Project

That is looking great, I have always liked those Trucks, they have style about them and just a cool vehicle. Looks good with the silver paint to.

49 chev

Nice looking project!! Very interesting build and enjoyable to read. I'm curious as to what your color is. I am finishing up on a 49 chev as well and our colors seem to be very close to the same. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!! Willy

Nice looking project!! Very interesting build and enjoyable to read. I'm curious as to what your color is. I am finishing up on a 49 chev as well and our colors seem to be very close to the same. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!! Willy

.....Thanks . The pics here don't really show the color well, depends on your monitor setting too. It's a light purple but looks silver also, depends on the light. It's called Light Amethyst Metallic , has a ton of pearl in it . off a 2002 Freightliner . No one could mix it here except Dupont Imron , so this urethane paint is expensive but extremly tough. Would like to see pics of your 49 .

....well I have the last of my panels painted and at home . Now I have to do the wet sand and polish of everything. Last couple of days I played with the grill and wired up the front amber led's and installed the halogen headlights with cool purple led's which I hooked up to the park lights. I could make them flash with the signal lights ( 1/2 or both 1/2's) but think it is toooo much distraction as the amber led's do a very nice job. But man the grill was a challenge to make fit and the headlamps were too big for the pots so I had to grind them down to fit. Picture doesn't do justice to the purple color when you see it real. I also mounted in a a/c condensor and a 16" pusher fan for it. So I now have a 16" puller and a 16" pusher, hope it is enough. I found on a 49 parts truck aluminum head light buckets, must be kinda rare as my other trucks have rusty steel ones.

. I had a good week here and got my box panels and rear fenders all wet sanded and polished. The angled top portion of the sides shine like glass . I never worked with clear coat before, it is alot of work wetsanding and polishing but the results can be awazing......kinda too good actually compared to the $75 paint job my red 58 had 38 years ago. It is starting to look like what I pictured in my mind many years ago.
The rear fenders turned out great. For the banged up sheetmetal they were, then my pounding and welding on them , but my buddy Dave did his magic and made them like new correcting all that I can't do in the final finishing. I am glad I used the original sheetmetal and not repop stuff. It was also a test to see how my new Cragar's fit. Years ago I only did measurements of the fenders in and out , rear diff width and box side width. Bought offset 15x7's with 235/60/15's according to what I cyphered out and today I see they look right on the money, so am glad that part worked out. Still lots to do but at least now I can see changes every day and the 49 is taking shape.

My first comment but been watching the progress all along. The truck is coming together beautifully. Great job! Summer cruising is close!!

Last edited:
That truck looks razor sharp, good for you getting the hard work done and enjoying fitting it all back together.

I saw somewhere an article on how they fitted some high level brake lights in the round part at the top of the pickup bed, they looked great and a functional thing to, I just thought I would throw that in there for your consideration.

.....Thanks John in Oz . Yes, I've seen a light kit that goes in the holes, or a chrome plug that fits in there too. My plan was to use 68 Chrylser side marker lights in there. I've used them before on my 58 Impala inside door panels and they look great. I've got both the amber and red, but awhile back my thoughts changed and instead of a tail / signal light I figured it might be a good place to put a reverse backup light. Haven't seen anyone do that yet on this style of truck but I have found some round white led's that I think I can machine something out to fit and do the job. I haven't got to the back end wiring and lights yet so will decide soon what I'll do there. Here are some pics of the 68 markers.
Had a slow day today fitting one running board and setting the rear fender just right to mate with it and install some black fender welt. I now have the box exactly where it has to be. Turned it down with grade 8 bolts. I used a digital level and frame and box and cross sills are all within .1 of a degree so I think it turned out darn good. .

Hmmm... .1 of a degree...I dunno. Not sure if we can accept such sloppy tolerances around here. :D

Jeez man, what are you trying for, the Riddler?

That is looking good alright, Just another thought, I have a semi trailer (Tractor Trailer's) is what you guys call them and so far as using reversing lights I have found that the indicator (orange) lights work better than the white light does, maybe it is just me but they seem to give a better view of things when it is pitch black outside usch as in a Farm area where there is no lighting at all. I also have a couple of LED reversing lights but the orange works better for me. Just a thought that is all.

....I think the law here is backup lights are white, amber would confuse drivers as amber was suppose to be a front of the vehicle color but I see today many cars have them in back for signal lights from factory. I grew up with red tail lights , and don't see why they stuck the amber in there now ?? Anyways got my running boards and filler panels on , man that changed the truck filling in that gap. I modded the braces underneath so they are solid and can take alot of weight. This frame don't flex like a 1/2 ton frame, so when you step on the board the whole truck tilts even. I used 2x2 steel tubing instead of factory wood for the box to frame mounts so she is solid like a rock. 2morrow I'll back to that crazy repop grill and try finish off the mounting of it to the bottom splash shield and maybe try get the front bumper on.

.......making progress but kinda slow it seems. Anything repop just has a hole drilled wrong or something off and needs to be fixed, so that is time wasted. But I made up some imitation rivets for the rear fenders from 1/4x1 bolts, painted a bunch of bolts , tail light brackets and the hood latch body color. Got the front bumper and filler panel on and the bottom grill splash pan fitted in there. Made rear bumper brackets and machined out slots for the adjustment. Got the led tail lights on and all wired up. And got the rear bumper and filler panel on 2day. I used the stock 49 bumpers as I think they suit the truck plus I like the look with the filler panels. The led lights are really bright. For the back I was debating to go with 59 cadillac or 63 Impala lens in 50 pontiac bezels but as gorgeous as each is , I ended up chosing the 55-59 truck stainless led's . I also just bought a sheet of 3/4" oak to make the box floor which I will tackle next week I think. I took a couple of oak table leafs and just laid them in the box to see and I kinda like the color so that will be it more less along with the stainless bed strips.
]

Wonderful craftsmanship and attention to detail, great job Nailhead. I've always loved the 5 window but with your subtle changes you are taking it to an all new level. Revy

Gorgeous...absolutely gorgeous!

My grandson - still in grade 9 - has his eye on one of these 5 windows. Even has half the money saved for it! I'll be showing him this thread for inspiration, that's for sure. :)

Looking really good. I'm sure you will driving it this summer.

My grandson - still in grade 9 - has his eye on one of these 5 windows. Even has half the money saved for it! I'll be showing him this thread for inspiration, that's for sure. :)

Cocobolo, I have left over parts from my 49 build that I will give to your grandson if he gets his truck. Our mechanic goes to Kamloops every 3 weeks so i can send them with him. Keep me posted, Willy

......Thanks 4 the comments guys. I forgot to add pics of how level my back bumper turned out. The rear box cross member is level with the frame as shown before. It took alot of time but I got the filler panel and bumper level with the rest too.