1949 Chevrolet Pickup Project

.....I don't have television, but have heard of the prickers. From what I was told don't let them jerks in the yard. I never sell anything anyway.

That's funny :D No tv awesome now I know how you get so much work done!!!! When I see the saying "he who has the best shop when he dies wins" I will be thinking of you, simply awesome, glad to hear you don't sell but I really would like to have a garage tour there:D

Randy

.....I don't have television, but have heard of the prickers. From what I was told don't let them jerks in the yard. I never sell anything anyway.

Before they even attempt to haggle with you, they first ask you if you're willing to sell something to be on TV, if not, they move on.
They've already been to Barss Corner but past right by my place and filmed my neighbour just around the corner who sold them a small porcelyn on metal TILE sign.

Last edited:
Great looking project and "Home-Brew" to boot. The way hot rodding was meant to be. Keep sluggin'

Al
:):):)

...Them pickers are welcome to stop in my yard. BUT, when on my turf, we go by my script... It goes like this.. "Thats the price, take it or leave it" ... :D
Stan. ...........

....been awhile since I posted an update on my 49. Was not feeling well for 2 1/2 weeks so sat in the house and lost alot of time working on the truck. But been back at here the last week or so and did some more. Got my homemade power windows in and they work awesome, quiet and fast, I really am happy how they turned out. Also got the door solenoids in and popping the doors open with a remote control, remote opens a window too. Changed my plan for the 84 chev van seats to cloth 2008 chev truck with power and lumbar, so had to redo the floor mounting. Took the headrests off and now backrests don't stick out above the back windows. Got some parts on the engine , filled it with oil, turned the pump shaft with a drill got 45lbs on the guage then dropped in the vac pump, it's not far from starting up now. Never did a wetsand and polish before but I did the cab with 1500, then used Mcquier's #4 and #2 to polish it, this Imron clear in hard sanding. Shop lights are murder on this color but outside I know it will awesome. Got more little stuff painted up for the dash plus the cowl top and side vents and installed them all. Never did a 2 piece windshield before and the guys on the net say it is not an easy one and should have 2 or 3 guys and a few hours to do, plus this one has the stainless strip in it so that is an extra pain. Well I only got me so I decided to try it. Put it together , tied a piece of baler twine around it cause the glass kept falling out, stood it up stuck a couple of welding rods through the center pillar for a guide and started in bottom corner with one hand around the pillar pushing on it and me sitting inside with a can of glass cleaner spraying and a steel hook I made ( I have no plastic glass tools !! ) and slowing kept flipping the rubber over the lip. Pull the twine I could not do as not enough hands so I just inched my way along and got one side all in and then did the other. Took me about 2 hours but it turned out OK. Man was I happy. Got the 2 piece headliner in also which not a fun job either for one guy. Cut out insulation pads for rear wall and painted the floor under the fuel tank and coated the cab corners well with POR15. Slowly getting there.

IM005869_zps236f78a2.jpg

IM005858_zpsf324c238.jpg

IM005992_zpsc286df16.jpg

IM006062_zpsbf03e271.jpg

IM006063_zps6eda8694.jpg

IM006068_zpsdf0e90b6.jpg

IM006069_zpse8733068.jpg

IM006072_zpsf63b0677.jpg

IM006076_zps3a0b61ef.jpg

IM006077_zps32917cf0.jpg

IM006088_zps08394313.jpg

IM006096_zps96664708.jpg

IM006089_zpsce11aaac.jpg

IM006095_zpsa03e2b8f.jpg

IM006099_zps878f4c67.jpg

Last edited:
...Slowly getting there..??? I'd say your moving right along. Curious as to what you used for door solinoids...
...You got an awesome looking project going there...
Stan. ......

...Slowly getting there..??? I'd say your moving right along. Curious as to what you used for door solinoids...
...You got an awesome looking project going there...
Stan. ......

..........Thanks Stan. I used a kit by Electric-Life, 60lb solenoids, 4 ch , motion sensor and siren. I bought it about 3 years ago as I was gathering parts for the truck. But I see now there are 80 lb solenoids available and more chs on the remote which I just may update yet to 8 or 12 ch as right now I can set the alarm, open both doors and put down only one window with the remote. Wish the more chs were available back when I was looking. I like toys and it is so slick to work the windows with a remote. Battery power disable is possible with the remote too so that would add to security and storage safety. Right now these 60 lb solenoid actually make the truck jump when they hit, they are strong.

..........Thanks Stan. I used a kit by Electric-Life, 60lb solenoids, 4 ch , motion sensor and siren. I bought it about 3 years ago as I was gathering parts for the truck. But I see now there are 80 lb solenoids available and more chs on the remote which I just may update yet to 8 or 12 ch as right now I can set the alarm, open both doors and put down only one window with the remote. Wish the more chs were available back when I was looking. I like toys and it is so slick to work the windows with a remote. Battery power disable is possible with the remote too so that would add to security and storage safety. Right now these 60 lb solenoid actually make the truck jump when they hit, they are strong.

Something I thought of when putting in door poppers on the Studie.
If you didn't want to have an emergency pull cable to access your interior ( for obvious security risk ), if and when your battery goes dead ( no power to windows or door poppers ), and you can't get to the battery to jump, because you either have a hood release or trunk button on the inside.
Here's what I suggest.
Somewhere under the car place jumper terminals, like the ones used on race cars.
Now you have a place to attach jumper cables to get power to your poppers or remote windows.
And I went further by placing a battery cutoff switch under the car to prevent low-life's from hot wiring and stealing my car when I'm not around.

Last edited:
Something I thought of when putting in door poppers on the Studie.
If you didn't want to have an emergency pull cable to access your interior ( for obvious security risk ), if and when your battery goes dead ( no power to windows or door poppers ), and you can't get to the battery to jump, because you either have a hood release or trunk button on the inside.
Here's what I suggest.
Somewhere under the car place jumper terminals, like the ones used on race cars.
Now you have a place to attach jumper cables to get power to your poppers or remote windows.
And I went further by placing a battery cutoff switch under the car to prevent low-life's from hot wiring and stealing my car when I'm not around.
.........yes good advice bullet. I don't want a pull cable someplace for emergency, so in case of power loss my jump spot will be under the hood as my hood is not locked. Battery is under the floor but won't be possible to get booster cables on it. In case of a solenoid cable breaking or loss of power while inside the cab, I'm leaving the inside regulators in place but no handles on. A handle will be in the glove box and if needed just pull off the shaft cover slip on the handle and you can get out of the cab. Shaved doors are cool but can be a pain if something goes wrong.
I just looked at some of your Stude pics, wow, did you ever do alot of work to that machine....excellent job. I like 50's customs and that is a fine example of a car that is something truly different on the road.

When I did my 54 Chev 5 window, I used power door lock plungers to pop my doors, and they worked out very well.

.........yes good advice bullet. I don't want a pull cable someplace for emergency, so in case of power loss my jump spot will be under the hood as my hood is not locked. Battery is under the floor but won't be possible to get booster cables on it. In case of a solenoid cable breaking or loss of power while inside the cab, I'm leaving the inside regulators in place but no handles on. A handle will be in the glove box and if needed just pull off the shaft cover slip on the handle and you can get out of the cab. Shaved doors are cool but can be a pain if something goes wrong.
I just looked at some of your Stude pics, wow, did you ever do alot of work to that machine....excellent job. I like 50's customs and that is a fine example of a car that is something truly different on the road.

Thank you for that. However, I'm not sure where you would have seen all my project photos.
If you went through my personal website, you'd have found a lot of the photos were either missing or out of sync with the story .....
my son has been redoing my website and is dragging his heels on getting it finished.
I may have to take over and get it done.

......been doing alot of the little things like making fuel lines, alt support bracket , more wiring etc. Last couple of days I made up the exhaust pipes, slipped on the stainless mufflers and made partial tail pipes. Once I get the box and rear bumper on then I can figure out how to add on the 3 foot polished stainless 2.5" tail pipes to finish. I used the flare from the original exhaust pipes then bent and welded on 2.5" aluminized pipe all the way. This type of pipe will last forever on the diesel. Was a tight fit on the starter side , flare was 2" , then had to use 2 1/4 for the elbow then the rest is 2.5" . I'm hiding a space saver tire up under the box so had to make some tight curves to leave access for the tire to drop yet make the pipes look right so alow the stainless ones to show nice later. Nothing is easy when you have to make everything building a rod, takes alot of time. I really thought about making headers for it like I did on my hotrod, but I will leave that jigsaw puzzle for another winter.

IM006228_zps2949f282.jpg

IM006230_zpsbd0d388f.jpg

IM006232_zpse3f83c80.jpg

IM006224_zps45065dfc.jpg

IM006222_zpscfac371e.jpg

IM006239_zps24aa89e4.jpg

IM006225_zps673f45e4.jpg

IM006237_zps23ddd217.jpg

IM006240_zps368b08c4.jpg

IM006247_zpse7c77e6b.jpg

IM006250_zpsf6aaaee7.jpg

IM006251_zps710b64aa.jpg

IM006245_zps77f5ae0f.jpg

.......when I started on this project 8 years ago I said I wanted to drive it before I turned 60. Didn't seem impossible at the time but that 60 is just a few days away and my truck is still not finished. Lucky for me I ordered a long winter and it has given me some extra time to work on it. My painter still hasn't done the rest of the body for me, so I am stuck there. But I've making alot of parts for it which seemed to take forever. Bending tranny lines, making flares , making ps lines , making brake lines, mounting relays, making clips to hold wires and lines, making a battery box under the cab , mounting the electric fan and wiring it up, back wall uphostery , etc etc., either I'm really getting slow or that is just how it is when you have to fabricate most parts. I installed another control module ( 8 ch ) and now with one remote I can open both doors and zip both windows up and down. Got my 56 chrysler guages in and they look awesome. Also got a new classic 15" black steering wheel from Moon Eyes, man is the quality nice compared to the old days. Also got led lights front and back to work which was a real headache trying to get the front ones to flash, but I managed to fix it. Power seat works nice, and the Lightning Rods I had to re-adjust linkage after I put the carpet in so that took some fine tuning lifting the truck up and down about 20 times on the hoist. But yestyerday I poured a couple gallons of diesel in the tank, ran the electric pump and bled the system , crossed my fingers that only one 9 year old Canadian Tire Eliminator battery would spin over a fresh 22.5/1 compression motor , cranked abit and it fired and run rattling that neat sound of a Olds 5.7. Man was I happy . I had setup the movie camera so I got the long awaited moment of film. Today was when I was re-adjusting the shifters, so after I got that done I needed to know if the tranny will move the truck back and forth. So I opened the big door, on with the key and as soon as the glow plug light went off I hit it and it fired right up easily, pulled the stick back and it went into reverse smoothly, the hydro brakes seemed strong and I backed it out the door , let it warm up good, checked for leaks etc, took some pics , then pulled the stick into drive and moved ahead , stopped on the cement, tried a little brake torque just to see how the brakes hold and one rear tire let go and made a patch, hmmmm , rolled up a few feet and shut 'er down. I'm really happy the way it runs and I can say that I did drive it before I turned 60 even if it was only a few feet back and forth. Shoulder checking through the corner window is awesome. I can't wait to get it on the highway.

....after being sick for a month I'm finally back at my 49 diesel. Parked since last May , being really cold and summer diesel in it, I threw in a battery hit the key listened to the electric fuel pump get pressured up and waited for the glow plug light to go off and turned the key and it fired and ran immediately just like I shut it off 2 minutes ago. Even I was impressed at how fast it ran. Got the hood and the front fenders on in the last few days. Should have the rest of the front end on soon. The repop grill is OK, but it doesn't fit the hole and needs mods to fit just like most cheap repop stuff. That's why I try use as much original parts as possible right down to cleaning up and painting screws and clips. My painter did the rear fenders and box sides which I just brought home in the suburban. He should have the box front, tailgate and running boards painted soon hopefully. So I have a chance to finish it this winter and get the diesel on the road this spring if all goes well. Still lots of things to make but at least I'm over the hill now and it is going together. I even got the serial tag on now, she is a low # 383 off the line.

Last edited: