1946 Oldsmobile sedanette

Not a lot to report on, similat to Rusty Olds. I'm currently upgrading the clutch and bellhousing in the 64 Fairlane and had the headers ceramic coated as well as the disc rotors for the Olds. The overspray on the rotors will quickly wear off once it's driven. I'm still waiting for my polisher to finish C4 batwing so I can assemble the rear axle assembly. All the calipers and suspension components have been polished, only new kits and pads to go in the calipers so they can be installed. Just waiting for my body man to have room in his shop, I'll then sandblast the underside of the floor pan, attend to 2 x minor rust holes in the rockers then buy the paint and consumables. Glasurit were able to provide original paint formulas using moderns products, no other manufacturer could assist!

I'm also in need of 2 x 1946 GM window winder parts, I was going power however a change of direction and back to manual

Last edited:
I've just about finished repairing the repairs that I had undertaken on the Olds however I upgraded a few things on my FE powered 64 Fairlane in the interim. A big thank you to John in Oz for assisting with engine/trans removal and installation as we did it a couple of times so I could get a good fit without any interference to body.
I installed a block plate along with longer dowel pins, new SFI flywheel and CentreForce clutch as well as a period correct RC Ind (NHRA) bellhousing (Scattershield). I had a new 10sp McLEOD clutch & pressure plate however it wasn't until I removed the T10 that I discovered it had a '62 23sp input shaft. and was a CR long tail Galaxie. ;) I'll sell all the OEM FE parts along with McLEOD clutch to recoup my costs and break even.
I had to massage the tunnel and lower firewall with a rubber covered BFH to accommodate the bellhousing as it's a LOT thicker than OEM cast iron unit that was installed. Up until then, John didn't realise that I suffered from undiagnosed 'Tourettes syndrome'.
Whilst at it I had the headers ceramic coated, 4hrs to remove them. I'll now reassemble things and get it going again as well as making and rerouting new brake lines.

Last edited:
Hahaha, all good fun and laughs along the way, it actually goes in and out pretty easy with the gear Mark has, it is just lifting the T10, funny how some days they are not a worry and then another day you look at it and think bummer, I have to lift that thing back up again, good thing Marks son was there to help hold things in place. It makes you wonder how we used to do this kind of work laying on the ground etc when we were young, man alive that Hoist or lift I think you guys call them sure are great. No wonder were learnt to swear when we were young hahaha.

Last edited:
Looking good Mark ! And John thanks for joining in and posting up. We miss you on here!

Fits like a glove!!! Lol
Looking great in there 🙃
Even the smile is correct....
Should be a riot to drive!
Greg
It was fun to drive before we stuck all the new stuff in there, it will be interesting to see the difference it made, maybe I'll have to run it down the strip for mark to see how much difference it made :) :)

Just went through your build, very nice, what a lot of work very nicely done. Would like to see more on the Fairlane, maybe it's own thread?

Pulled the 3.5s in the 64 9" and rebuilding it with 4.56s. It won't be too economical! I also discovered that it has a 31 spline locker with 'N' case, bonus :).

Also modified exhaust to replicate OEM Thunderbolts to make them [Street] legal. Car still retains 2 1/2" system that dumps at front of rear axle. Take off is behind RH collector. Exhaust pipe is merely for aesthetics and won't really make much of a difference.

Back on topic, the polisher FINALLY finished the rear batwing, I had to have some minor machining done to the girdles to clear the ARP crown wheel bolts. I was able to assemble everything after a long hiatus and with the help again from John in Oz, we were able to bolt it back in place. Shocks aren't bolted to lower mounts and I'm yet to bolt in rear tie rods.

Looks damn good…almost a shame to cover it up with a body…..exhaust looks a little close to those air bags..they tend to get brittle from heat. Might need a pipe wrap just around the bag area.

Ah progress, is that red and blue item your fuel pump?
That's an old [NOS] Russell cartridge fuel filter, I've added an in-tank pump with pickup tray to the OEM tank. I've a separate swirl pot going into trunk (Boot) to maintain a constant fuel supply with a return line from engine plumbed in.

.Looking at the air bags with the rod at the top…are they threaded for height adjustment…?
The Shockwaves are just hanging off top mount and not attached at the bottom as I'm beefing up the lower [Double sheer] mounts that attaches to the large [Black] plate that captures the rear hubs and trailing arms. I relocated the original Corvette rear sway bar (Behind axle) to frame (Front of axle), it attaches to that plate via heim joints. Shocks actually sit at 20 degrees and clear everything when bolted up.

Last edited: