1930 Ford Model A Vicky Build

Big brown arrived yesterday bringing some Welder Series brackets (engine trans and brakes):D:D:D
IMG_2663-1.jpg

Today we had more success with finish welding on the frame horns and rad mounts along with fabing up the running board mounts and tacking them in:cool::cool:

IMG_2674.jpg

Just a teaser of the front sheet metal fitting:D:p

IMG_2671.jpg

Lookin mighty fine Tim, keep up the good work and progress photos. I might just have to stop in and see this in person.

Nice work, Tim! You're going "Great Guns" on this project.
Looking forward to seeing more updates.
Mike

Tim you got some MAD talent.Real nice frame work looks like you will have that rod on the road by Chrismas.:D

I knew you'd find something to do in retirement Tim. Keep up the great work.

I think I had waaayyyyyyyy too much time on my hands and the for sale/wanted adds just jumped at me:eek::eek:

Today was a low followed by it got better:mad::

I have been using Wescott's frame dimensions to layout the frame as close as possible.

In this picture you see the running board brackets clamped to the 1x3 mounts that we had installed as per Wescott. 22 1/2 " from the rear axle centre line forward to the first then 281/8 further forward for the front one.

IMG_2674.jpg

When I went out this morning I thought I would set the splash aprons on and the running boards. Holy crap whats wrong the rear fender opening was tooooooo small:confused::confused::confused:
Measured looked, measured looked, compared with the plans around and around :confused::confused: finally decided that the brackets where 4 1/2" too far back so off they came :(

IMG_2676.jpg

We pulled the frame off the table set it on the floor and on goes the body put the rear fender in place then the splash apron fastened the running board to the fender set the front in place and tomorrow I will fasten the 1x3's back in place on the frame and the running board braces where necessary :D

IMG_2680.jpg

Tin, you better hurry up and get yours finished...Tim's going to have this one done before you!:eek:

Lookin good Tim.

How do the Wescott drawings compare to the link I sent you? are the running board brackets in the same place?

Last edited:
Jamie
The Wescott dimensions match the link, but doesn't show the RB brkt locations. The plan from Wescott is dated 2009, I found one last night from 1984 which shows the dimension as 27 1/2" vs 22 1/2 :confused:. I also found a pdf (srbymichael.com) with dimensions and there is quite a few differences. The RB brkt location is 29" on it:confused: I am just going out and put them where they land on the frame then compare the measurement to the plans. I believe when the rear fender and running board are joined they dictate the brace locations:confused:

Tooltime: great job on the frame, looks great.

Share your anguish with the Westcott drawings. Here is a link to a posting on the HAMB, the 4th post is a drawing I did of a Model A frame in preperation for my frame build

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98330

Maybe some help, I know I checked every measurement at least 10 times taking them off a original frame.

Canuck

In post #28, showing the tube frame on the jig, I'm wondering if the frame "rails" are parallel, or do the taper as the original "A" frame rails do?
This frame fabrication certainly pays credit to the fine work exhibited in the
fabrication of the body! Nice work.

Bgbkwndo.

Very neat project overall, I like the chassis work nice strong construction, much better than just a boxed A chassis for sure.

Last edited:
Tooltime: great job on the frame, looks great.

Share your anguish with the Westcott drawings. Here is a link to a posting on the HAMB, the 4th post is a drawing I did of a Model A frame in preperation for my frame build

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98330

Maybe some help, I know I checked every measurement at least 10 times taking them off a original frame.

Canuck

Canuk
I saved the diagram but it is too blurred to see the #'s also can't open the dwg zipped file :confused: