1927 Hudson Essex Build - Project "Prarie Rat"

Any progress is good progess, it all adds up. Looking good what you have got done so far Jon. Keep at it man.

Thanks! I bit the bullet and purchased a partial drop axle kit which will keep the ball rolling a bit. Working through the weekend this weekend, and off to Viva Las Vegas next weekend, but will be back at it after that.

Its shaping up to be a good weekend already! Purolator dropped off my partial front end kit this morning, and I'm off to Vegas tomorrow morning for Viva Las Vegas.

Did a quick mock/assemble of the front end with my wishbones and set it in front of the frame to snap some pictures. If I get a free moment this afternoon I might sneak away to have a local shop cut my spring perch out for me on a plasma table.

Had to take advantage of my free shipping code from Speedway from the Viva Las Vegas show, so ordered my brake and steering kit as soon as I got back and picked it up from the border yesterday. Should keep me busy tomorrow :)

No problem man, you don't owe me anything, the price you got quoted to cut them was ridiculous so I'm just glad to help you out a little. You will have to run a drill bit through the holes for your U-bolts, the plasma table doesn't do too well with the small holes.

No problem man, you don't owe me anything, the price you got quoted to cut them was ridiculous so I'm just glad to help you out a little. You will have to run a drill bit through the holes for your U-bolts, the plasma table doesn't do too well with the small holes.

I agree... it was very ridiculous. Hoping one day I'll have my own table... allows for so much creativity and customization at one's own finger tips. Not to mention the cost savings after it's paid for.

I managed to get one side completely done, and the other should be a breeze now that I have some practice at it. The lock pins for the king pins posed a bit of difficulty at first, but got'r all sorted out and fits like a glove now. I went on a whim and ordered the extra drop on the steering arms, and looks like it will turn out perfect mounting tie rod ends underneath.

I agree... it was very ridiculous. Hoping one day I'll have my own table... allows for so much creativity and customization at one's own finger tips. Not to mention the cost savings after it's paid for.

I managed to get one side completely done, and the other should be a breeze now that I have some practice at it. The lock pins for the king pins posed a bit of difficulty at first, but got'r all sorted out and fits like a glove now. I went on a whim and ordered the extra drop on the steering arms, and looks like it will turn out perfect mounting tie rod ends underneath.

I'm planning on building my own CNC table once we move to the acreage and get a big shop for a spot for it. The one I have access to is about 18K but could be built DIY for way less.

You'll have lots of room for your tie rod being you are suiciding the front.

I think your lower shock mounts are on backwards.

Looking good.

Thanks Dean! I got the driver's side together and set it in front of the frame with the frame over the rear dif. Like I said I love visualizing the next steps, and gives me motivation. The frame is sitting slightly higher than it will when finished and the front end lower than it should, but did the trick for a quick mock up. I also switched those lower shock mounts around Haha even though I probably won't end up using them. Hoping to run friction shocks, but that's a decision that will be finalized much further down the road. Here's a few pics to keep you all interested :)

Last edited:
Looks good just sitting there in the mocked stage.
Looking forward to seeing the body mocked up.
Going to be a sweet ride.

Looks good just sitting there in the mocked stage.
Looking forward to seeing the body mocked up.
Going to be a sweet ride.

Thanks Bullet! It's both rewarding and exciting looking back over the pictures and seeing the progress. Can't wait for it to be a rolling chassis haha.

Picked up this beauty this evening. Not one hundred percent sure I'll use it on this project, but will definitely a fun piece to have on the back burner!

Got my front spring perch square and tacked together and tacked into the frame. Also made the bottom clamping plate. I have the frame perfectly level, and the caster set at 7 degrees on the front perch. I can't see any reason not to burn the bracket on, but like to tack in place first, stare at it from several different angles and walk away for a couple hours just incase something pops into my head haha. I'm not planning on having much, if any rake at all to the car's stance when it's done. I will also be welding a piece of plate in from the bottom of the mounting bracket down to the crossmember for additional support/security once the perch is mounted permanently. Let me know what you all think.

P.s I really need to start taking pictures with my camera rather than my phone haha.

Got a bit done at the shop today. Probably did a lot more staring and brainstorming than physical work, but planning never hurt anyone haha.

Got the Front end mocked up on the perch, and cut a couple pieces to cap the back of the front frame rails and got them tacked on. Again not much.... but every little bit helps. Have spent a lot of time looking a wheels and tires which will get me "rollin" again lol.

Starting to come together. Do you have an idea on what the ride height will be?

Got my front wheels/tires mounted. Starting to look like a chassis haha. More to come over the weekend.

Any suggestions on finalizing the mounting point on the frame for my split bones? Should I wait until the weight of the motor/tranny are on the frame to see how much that will lower the front and affect the angle? I was kind of thinking of centering the mount in the vertical middle of the mid section of frame. I will be using the Welder Series through frame tie rod end mount which will require me to drill holes in the frame, so don't want to do that until I'm 100% positive on the positioning of it.