1927 Hudson Essex Build - Project "Prarie Rat"

JONROD

Thought it was time to start a build thread for my 1927 Hudson Essex here on the Canadian Rodder forum. I have accumulated many pictures, most coming from the past week, so hopefully you enjoy this first few posts. It will be more pictures than descriptions in these first posts, but feel to ask any questions, or throw any suggestions and constructive criticism my way!

I started with just the body which I picked up near the beginning of August 2013, and the brainstorming began from there.

The rest of this post, and the next few posts to follow covers what I accomplished in a few days over the holidays...

Got my front rails cut, and one of them tapered. I'm using 2x4 tubing w/ 3/16" wall. Should be plenty strong enough. I am tapering the front rails down to 3.25" from 4" to accommodate a 2 and 7/8 OD tube for the front spring perch.

below is a comparison of the non-tapered rail, and the completed rail.

And this gives an idea of what the from step up will look like from the mid section of the frame.

Last edited:
Below is the second rail throughout its progress.

And on to cutting the mid sections...

And joining the mid sections to the front rails...

And finally... before heading home, I mocked up the front/mid sections under the body. The body hasn't been channeled yet so it will sit lower over the rails, but wanted to give myself an idea of what "Project Prairie Rat" will look like... yes I decided on a name haha.

Last edited:
First up... a picture of the "chassis table" I made. Doesn't get me much higher off the ground for comfort sake lol... but sure made squaring and levelling out everything much nicer! I made it so it is adjustable at all four corners:

Clamped the mid/front rails to it to complete fully weld them together. Spread out my welding so it didn't get too hot in any one location or direction to prevent any warping or pulling.

Got everything squared and level on the table, tons of measuring, more measuring, and finally clamping and tacking haha...

And just a couple more I took for the hell of it after clean up haha.

I got the front cross member welded in, and finished welding up the rest of the frame. Now it'll be on to finishing up pulling the motor and tranny from the truck so I can get it mocked up in the frame, cutting the front spring perch pieces and making some templates for some fish plates for the frame.

Feedback encouraged and welcome! :D

Last edited:
very cool project and some pretty nice work. are you a welder fabricator? also very nice shop!

do you need any original parts, my buddy has a few bits left over from his coupe build. if you're interested let me know i will find out what he has and get pics.....

mo

...I love these types of posts. Thanks for taking the time for the pics and writeup (a scratch built project gets my attention real quick)...keep us posted on the rest of the build

very cool project and some pretty nice work. are you a welder fabricator? also very nice shop!

do you need any original parts, my buddy has a few bits left over from his coupe build. if you're interested let me know i will find out what he has and get pics.....

mo

Thanks 59imp! I am in need of many parts, and am always on the look out. I would be very interested in left overs from your buddy's build. That would be great if you could find out would he has!

...I love these types of posts. Thanks for taking the time for the pics and writeup (a scratch built project gets my attention real quick)...keep us posted on the rest of the build

Your welcome, and I'm glad it caught your attention. I was worried posting all of the pictures would be somewhat overwhelming haha, but I'm glad you guys appreciate them. I'll definitely keep this build thread up to date, and keep the pictures coming. The only thing that I can see slowing me down is delays while waiting on or trying to find parts.

Gotta add my $200.00 worth here (none of this .02 from me...).

Great job. Looks like the old body is in pretty darned good shape. I'm sure everyone will have 100 questions as things progress, but what a great start!

Wow.........stunning workmanship.......I feel humbled........

Wow.........stunning workmanship.......I feel humbled......…and tired from looking at the amount of work, ..........got’ a love the enthusiasm of youth (I presume).:)

Incredible amount of work in a short time period.

Hate to see what you can do when you're really focused! :D

Nice welding.

Question: do you plan to add some fishplates in the mid section and rear kick up?

Thanks for all of the positive feedback and compliments fellas! It's greatly appreciated, and adds even more inspiration to the build.

Incredible amount of work in a short time period.

Hate to see what you can do when you're really focused! :D

Nice welding.

Question: do you plan to add some fishplates in the mid section and rear kick up?

I do plan on fish plating the mid section and rear kick up. Making a template to cut them is next on the list. I'm hoping I can incorporate my split wishbone mounts into the front "Z" fish plate. I will also be adding a cross member at the top of the rear kick up, but wanted to have my rear dif mocked up before deciding on its final position.

EDITED:

I do plan on fish plating the mid section and rear kick up. Making a template to cut them is next on the list. I'm hoping I can incorporate my split wishbone mounts into the front "Z" fish plate. I will also be adding a cross member at the top of the rear kick up, but wanted to have my rear dif mocked up before deciding on its final position.

There was a club called the Clutch Poppers In Edmonton doing an Olds powered Altered and this was their way of doing some fishplates, both riveted and welded:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jalopykid/100_2409.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jalopykid/100_2411-1.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jalopykid/100_2442.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f395/jalopykid/100_2443.jpg

Last edited:
ok so most of the big stuff went to a guy but if you want any or all of it its yours free, just pay the shipping. the car was a 28/29 rumble seat coupe. the yellow bits are rumble seat parts, there are some cross members, he thinks the grey panel is a header above the windshield, the rest look like pieces that might retain trim or interior panels. an engine pan, not a whole lot but maybe something you could use or trade....

let me know if there is something you want and we will find out about shipping it your way....

regards, mo