1927 Hudson Essex Build - Project "Prarie Rat"

Just peeked through the build.. real solid fab work! Super impressed and will be looking forward to seeing more! Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks Kustomshowbox! I really appreciate the positive feedback, it's nice to hear from others that I'm on the right track, and is also a great motivation to keep on plugging away.

Dedicated a couple of hours on the Essex today before doing an oil change on the '53. Got the inner frame bracing coming off the transmission crossmember cut and tacked in. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Still going to cut and notch another piece of tube to go between the braces off the crossmember.

It's coming... slowly but surely.

Got a bit more done on the Essex this past weekend. I bought myself a new stud welder/puller kit so decided to tackle a few of more significant dented areas on the car, and finished squaring the body. The driver's door will need some tweaking, as it has a pretty good wow in it. Although I have a couple more things to do on the chassis (rear shocks and another length of tube between the two inner chassis braces, I couldn't wait to get the body on to see how things are looking, so went ahead and cut out the notches in the rear fender wells for the axle tubes, and notched a bit out of the firewall for the transmission. Still need to a bit more out on both as it is a pretty tight fit, but rather take less than needed and work towards a perfect fit than take too much out right off the bat and have to start replacing sheet metal.

Still undecided on whether or not I should chop the body. Seeing the body on the chassis now, and at ride height, I actually don't mind the look of it. She is pretty tall, and the side windows are quite large, but it is still up in the air. I'm sure I'll change my mind 20 more times before the car is completed lol.

And also let my brother and nephew (just under two years old) take the '53 out for a rip. Man did the little guy ever enjoy it! Gotta start them young!

Last edited:
Put steering seats and pedals in it first! Then see how much you can chop out of the roof.

Who cares how it looks if you can't fit in it to drive it. (Unless of course you are 4'6" tall then whack away!)

Looks great Jon! I vote to chop it but hey its not my car , what ever works best for you! You've done some really nice work so far, keep at it! I've got to pop by to see it in person next time I'm through Lethbridge.

Dean

...the hints have been there but now it's lookin' like a badass hot rod. Glad you kept the distinctive Essex grille shell...very cool...

Put steering seats and pedals in it first! Then see how much you can chop out of the roof.

Who cares how it looks if you can't fit in it to drive it. (Unless of course you are 4'6" tall then whack away!)

Thanks dumprat. Yeah we'll see how much headroom I have to work with once I decide on seats and pedal location.

Looks great Jon! I vote to chop it but hey its not my car , what ever works best for you! You've done some really nice work so far, keep at it! I've got to pop by to see it in person next time I'm through Lethbridge.

Dean

Thanks Dean! Definitely stop by anytime! Same goes for next time I'm in Calgary, I'd love to stop in and check out your '37.

...the hints have been there but now it's lookin' like a badass hot rod. Glad you kept the distinctive Essex grille shell...very cool...

Thanks bgbdlinc! It's starting to look like a car now. Still a long ways to go, but seeing the body on it sure adds to the motivation!

....I think it looks right the way it is, don't chop it, if you do it will look too low and out of proportion.....:)

A little peak at some of the progress on the Essex! I apologize I have not kept up with progress updates lately, but when I have more time I will be sure to post more!

Last edited:
I agree, nice work........but kinda low....does Alberta have "scrub line" requirements like B.C.?

I agree, nice work........but kinda low....does Alberta have "scrub line" requirements like B.C.?

That picture is with the bags completely dumped, so not at ride height. I have ensured proper sbrub line clearances throughout the build. I would have to have punctured bags AND a flat tire to drag or rub in the back.

Well... the Essex is now sold, but that means I've made space for the next! Here's a picture of the Essex before she left on the next part of her journey with a new owner.

And here's what's next on the agenda!

I forgot how much fun the planning and brainstorming stage of a project is! I'll be starting a new build thread shortly!

apparently the next stop will be a short one. Listed in Winnipeg Kijiji.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/winnipeg/27-essex-rat-rod-package-deal-all-new/1149703219

Date Listed
21-Mar-16

Price

$15,000.00

Red Deer County,

For Sale By
Owner

27 Essex 2dr sedan 2x4 .188 wall pro built frame Lucky 7 front end Dutchman 9 inch rear 4 link air bags 348 chevy 4 speed complete engine rebuils kit wilwood discs with Ebrake rear Lucky 7 disc stuff up front Firestone skinnys on new smoothies Designed right - built right -sits right - looks right - priced right - Everything is brand new has to go cannot finish 403 350 xxxx Chop it if you want easy has suicide doors AND the Rad is all professionally done too calls please too much to talk about with text etc Thanks

Last edited:
Wow do I feel used! He bought it from me for $5,500 and dropped the 348 and transmission in it. Unbelievable! I see he didn't even have the balls to list it in Alberta... I guess me being a fair person, asking a more than fair price, and selling it to someone who says "I'm never going to sell this or flip it, I'm going to finish this one and drive it to Vegas" is asking to be bent over. Karma is a bitch is all I have to say! His ad says "has to go cannont finish" LOL I'd like to know when he started! On the plus side... he calls it a "pro built frame" so that's a bonus... It is what it is I decided to sell it, so on to the next.

Thanks for sharing that Scotty!

Thank you bgbdlinc, the positive feedback is greatly appreciated and makes me eager to get going on the Model A. I'm going to outdo myself on the "A" and move past this obviously unfortunate Essex experience.

Last edited:
....I hear you loud and clear. My Lincoln transaction was the ugliest that I've experienced for the same reasons. And like you I found it particularly galling when the buyer used all my text for the ads both on eBay (now removed) and Kijiji. Unfortunately, he's got the same first name (in the ad) as me, so some people might think that I'm selling it again. Not true.

I hate seeing procks do this. Same as I see Bullshitters talk long term owners out of their cars for cheap with their crybaby stories only to put them up for sale immediately without so much as cleaning them. I'm selling two cars right now as well and it's just a joke doing business with people these days. Expect nothing from people and you won't be disappointed.

Sheldon