1927 Hudson Essex Build - Project "Prarie Rat"

Great looking project. Nice work!

Thanks! Hopefully there will be more to come over the weekend.

Like those front shackle bolts. Never seen them before.

Did you make them?

Canuck

They're kind of a cool feature aren't they? Unfortunately I cannot take credit for making them haha, they are available from Lucky 7 hot rod parts, and came with axle and spring.

Received my shims to go between the axle and the boss of the wishbones to make a nice to fit, as well as a the slick set of through the frame radius rod mounts from Welder Series. Looking like it should be a productive weekend! :cool:

Last edited:
Managed to put in a little project time this afternoon. Whipped up a "jig" to support the motor in place on the frame while I get my motor mounts tacked in place. It was an idea I stole from fellow member Boyd Who. Should come in very handy when getting the motor centre and at the appropriate angle.

I am using a spare small block we had lying around the shop for the mock up stages.... I had a few extra minutes before heading home, so decided to bolt up the tranny and set it on the frame. Still need to do all my measurements but it gives a good idea of the direction I'm headed. Even threw the rad/grille up front for sh!ts & giggles.

Thanks for the sh!ts & giggles ..
I like the engine prop that'll make it easier to get it level and right.

Looking good Jon, I like that jig idea. Keep at it.

Thanks for the sh!ts & giggles ..
I like the engine prop that'll make it easier to get it level and right.

Thanks guys! I thought with the weight of the motor on the frame the spring shackles would drop a bit, making them sit at an angle closer to 40-45 degrees, but they are still quite a ways from that. Think this is something I should be concerned about right now? or wait until the weight of the body is on the frame as well? I can't figure out why it would be doing that. The spring is the correct length for the 46" axle.

Thanks guys! I thought with the weight of the motor on the frame the spring shackles would drop a bit, making them sit at an angle closer to 40-45 degrees, but they are still quite a ways from that. Think this is something I should be concerned about right now? or wait until the weight of the body is on the frame as well? I can't figure out why it would be doing that. The spring is the correct length for the 46" axle.

Nothing I'd be worried about, you've got a jack under the tranny right now so I don't think the full weight of the drivetrain is on the frame just yet, maybe it will settle a little more once you make your tranny mount. Keep pushing forward.

Nothing I'd be worried about, you've got a jack under the tranny right now so I don't think the full weight of the drivetrain is on the frame just yet, maybe it will settle a little more once you make your tranny mount. Keep pushing forward.

Thanks, I'll see how it pans out once more of the final weight is on the frame. I think next on the list is to square/brace up the body, trim the firewall for the transmission, get it set on the frame and see how everything lines up. From there I'll make any final forward/aft and height adjustments to the placement of the motor/tranny then proceed to tack my motor mounts and transmission mount/cross member in place. Sound like I'm on the right track?

Any plans to bring your '30 down to Lethbridge this weekend for Street Machine Weekend Dean?

........Any plans to bring your '30 down to Lethbridge this weekend for Street Machine Weekend Dean?

I'm taking my 31 down to Spokane this weekend for a car show and the swap meet, otherwise I would have drove it down to Lethbridge. Hoping I can convince my wife to pull the truck and trailer when we get to Idaho, would really like to drive my hotrod from there to Washington.

I'm taking my 31 down to Spokane this weekend for a car show and the swap meet, otherwise I would have drove it down to Lethbridge. Hoping I can convince my wife to pull the truck and trailer when we get to Idaho, would really like to drive my hotrod from there to Washington.

Nice, That will be a good time!

Made a border run to pick up a bunch of parts this afternoon :D I'm gonna be busy! Can't wait to open everything up tomorrow!

Can't wait to get that custom 9" mocked up with the brake kit and wide whites.

Made a border run to pick up a bunch of parts this afternoon :D I'm gonna be busy! Can't wait to open everything up tomorrow!

I'm assuming you are using Sweetgrass also for your shipping? You got it made living that close if you are!! You've got lots now to keep you busy, gonna look sweet!

I'm assuming you are using Sweetgrass also for your shipping? You got it made living that close if you are!! You've got lots now to keep you busy, gonna look sweet!

I used Sweetgrass the last few times, but actually decided to try the one just past Del Bonita this time (Address USA). He has been in operation about a year, super friendly, and great service. The drive is about the same, maybe slightly shorter, and the border crossing is typically a lot less busy. This can be both a good and bad thing haha... the border guard coming back across spent some time going through each package with me which was a new experience for me. We had a good chat about my build, and I think he partly just wanted to have a peak at the new parts haha.

...the border guard coming back across spent some time going through each package with me which was a new experience for me...... QUOTE]

The same thing happened to me when I was in Sweetgrass a few weeks ago, everyone in line got pulled to the side and every package I had was opened and searched, first time I experienced that.

I just read from the very beginning to the last post from Hooligan above me, and I'm in awe. This is a rad project, man, and I'm learning quite a bit from the updates and advice.

I cannot wait to see how this will look further on, keep up the good work!

I just read from the very beginning to the last post from Hooligan above me, and I'm in awe. This is a rad project, man, and I'm learning quite a bit from the updates and advice.

I cannot wait to see how this will look further on, keep up the good work!

Thank you Wizard!

Got a chance to spend the day on the car. Got the body squared and braced, floor cut out, and the body mocked up on the frame. It's starting to look like a car! But is in dire need of a haircut haha.