1949 IHC project

RadRidesByDan

Bear's 49 HotRod project

Turning this 49 IHC KB3 truck into an Ol'skool hotrod with a shortened frame and lowered stance with a custom flat deck on the rear. front suspension will be 2003 to 2008 crown victoria and the rear axle will most likely be from Ford F150.
Planing to put 351 small block windsor stroker with est. 500-600HP

InternationalKB32.jpg

IMG_6065.jpg

D22.jpg

Last edited:
Cool another IHC project, will be watching, keep us posted. Also if didn't already know A good swap for these trucks are S-10 depending on what kinda look going for.

This is Diana,

I'm building a similar truck. Look at my project under Alaska Gasser, it's a Dad and me project. I will be following your project since it might give me ideas for my own truck.

Cool another IHC project, will be watching, keep us posted. Also if didn't already know A good swap for these trucks are S-10 depending on what kinda look going for.

Thanks for the heads up on the s10 frame. The only problem is that the KB3 1 tone has 59.5 inch track width on the front and the s10 has 54.4 inch track width.....the tires would be too sunk in and to correct it by using either spacer or negative offset wheel would creat to much stress on the bearings.

that is why I chose to go with the Crown Vic front.....from outside frame rail to the hub is 15.75 inches.....so (15.75 x 2)+ 30 inch frame width(outside to outside) = 61.5 track width with a 0 offset wheel...... and Im using a 16x5 wheel for the front with a positive 20mm offset to correct it....keeping the center line right over the bearing as close as possible.

This is Diana,

I'm building a similar truck. Look at my project under Alaska Gasser, it's a Dad and me project. I will be following your project since it might give me ideas for my own truck.

Ill be watching yours as well......we might be exchanging ideas and or building info:).

Dan(aka;Bear)

I'm liking that already.
Those rims are sweet, can you put a lower profile tire to them ?

Wow, deja vu, I'm building the same truck. I even have a couple 03 crown vics I was going to use for front suspension. But I found the vic front end was going to be way too wide? but maybe my tape measure is broken ;)
I'll be watching your build. Should be sweet.
Cheers
img00343201106201554.jpg

the Crown Vic front cross member is too wide by 4 inches. the CV has 34 inches from outside to outside.....where as the IHC has 30.
this is my plan to correct this......

these reference pics are not my truck....

CrownVic004.jpg

cut out the middle and build the cross member out of steel similar to the one that is one the frame in the back ground but add boxed in tabs that bolt up the the lower control arm bolt location to tie everything back together.

CrownVic004a.jpg

Sorry ...bare with me I donot have any good software for designing stuff.:D:D

very cool! I have studied up the crossmember a few times myself thinking of ways to narrow. Im sure it can be done, but too much work for me haha. Be sure to take lots of pics. I'll be watching.
My plan now is to use a 03 mustang GT front subframe that I have, 8.8 rear and an 03 police interceptor motor.

very cool! I have studied up the crossmember a few times myself thinking of ways to narrow. Im sure it can be done, but too much work for me haha. Be sure to take lots of pics. I'll be watching.
My plan now is to use a 03 mustang GT front subframe that I have, 8.8 rear and an 03 police interceptor motor.

N-I-C-E...............thats gonna fly.......keep us posted as well.:D:D

Sounds like you got it all planned, didn't know was one ton. Make sure take lots of pictures and keep us posted you will be glad later.

Great start on a soon to be very cool pickup! As Bullet mentioned, it would look trick rolling on those ol' school rims. Wondering...are they split rims?

Can't wait to see more Dan :D

I did KB1 for a guy over 25 yrs ago. We used a late dodge short box chassis (like the lil red express style) and the KB1 was an easy swap onto it. It went like stink and looked great. He sold it at the wet coast a few years back.

Great start on a soon to be very cool pickup! As Bullet mentioned, it would look trick rolling on those ol' school rims. Wondering...are they split rims?

Can't wait to see more Dan :D

Yep...they were 20 Inch split rims. 6x7.25 bolt pattern Budd Wheels.......I sold them to a IHC KB owner who was restoring his and was needing the wheels. Im going to run 16x5 front and 16x8 or 16x10 rear.

Started stripping the fenders.....the sheet metal is in great condition.....Just have couple of small spots to weld new sheet to and then get rid of all the dings....:D

D25.jpg

D26.jpg

D27.jpg

D28.jpg

just a lil info when narrowing a front end you need too shorten the rack as well if the pivot points are not the same you will end up occuring huge bumpsteer .. so is your going too use u may want too look into what it takes too shorten the rack i know non power racks can be shortend easily but power ones can be not shortenable .. but there is many other racks out there you could make work as well just heads up for you