1949 IHC project

Got the front suspension from a 2003 Crown Vic today for the wreckers.....complete cradle with complete suspension and steering parts. Was a pain in the @$$ to take off but well worth it. Pics will come tomorrow

Here's what the front piece looks like.
A15.jpg

A16.jpg

I did a quick mock up jus to see how the tire sits.
The cradle is not quite sitting on the frame due to the centering pin that is about 1 inch tall. Plus once the weight of the motor and drivetrain and body is on. the suspension should compress between 2-3 inches and settle at ride height. The tire also is not too sunk in to the fender...... hub to hub will be about 61-62 inches in width.

A23.jpg

A19.jpg

A26.jpg

Looking great! The crown vic assembly is definitely a good move...especially with ride maneuverability and comfort when cruising.

I finally came down to a draft for the rear half of the frame.
Im going to have them CNC plasma cut so that I have both inner and outer frame rails exactly the same except where the tab is on the outer frame rail.

frame3.jpg

Outer
frame4.jpg

Inner
frame4a.jpg

I will be getting the new CNC plasma cut frame rail parts by the end of next week. Not too expensive either....cheaper than I thought. The shop owner will key in radii instead of sharpe corners to help out with the welding of the top and bottom pieces.
Cant wait to get them.....:D

Neat truck! I don't want to hijack your post but I'm wondering if there's any of you 1/2 ton (smaller) IH guys with some extra wheels. I'm looking for some 15" rims with the 5 on 4 1/2" pattern. Must be IH from about '53 or '54. Some have "Windows" between the rim and the center and some don't. I'd take either kind.

Doing it "right" and it's good to see.
What plans do you have for a shorter rack & pinion?
Great post by the way

Doing it "right" and it's good to see.
What plans do you have for a shorter rack & pinion?
Great post by the way

Once I have the front end set in its exact place and proper. I will take measurements and see. My estimate right now would be about 3.5 inches shorter. I have lost of thread on the adjustment on both sides......I may be able to shorten the rods by an inch and just thread the outs in a little further. That will depend on once the front is completely installed. Will see.:D

Well…..now that I got my garage wired with 220V……time to put the welder to good use.

Startred fixing splits in the fenders where the sheet metal tore apart. Had to cut out one of the areas that was split because it was already welded before. going to put in new patches where needed and finish them off smooth.
Next is going to be the frame that I am going to start my measuring to where I will make the cuts to weld in my new frame rails that were CNC Plasma cut.
The real fun now begines.

This week Im going to build a poor mans table top English Wheel for minor panel work.

I got the 2 casters that I think will do the job. Mondaay I will get some 2x4x 3/16th ...2x2x 1/8th....and 1.75x1.75x 1/8th and build the frame and adjuster. Then i will give it a go and see how good it will work. If it gets the job done then I will have a half descent tool for about $150.

Lower Anvil
IMG_6316.jpg

Upper Wheel
IMG_6317.jpg

Well after considerable thinking.....I have come down to a decision about the rear tires.....I always loved prostreet cars and trucks and this is a time where i might as well go big.

SO......I will going with a set of Hoosier's 31x18.5x15 rear....something like these......

13131070_13.jpg

On a set of either one of these wheels......15x14 rear with 5 inch backspace which should give me a -3.5 offset
And the fronts will be 17x6 with P205/50R17 tires

14035.jpg

9565.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished doing a calculation of the rear frame and axle width and this is what I have come out with.
The overall width of the truck.....side wall to sidewall will be 66 inches. I read as rule of thumb to add 5 inches more to the housing flang to flange width for the axles hub to hub width....I hope Im correct.

Here is the diagram.....If I have made any errors in my calculations please feel free to speak up.....as this is the first time I will be narrowing a rear end for a project. The axle housing is the most important to me.

frametop.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious.....what made you decide on 17"s up front? I've seen larger rear wheels and of course the big n' little tires, but can't say I've seen 17/15 combo. Do you have any pics of a simmilar setup for reference?
Also, what are you using for rear suspension? 4 link? leafs?

Last edited:
Just curious.....what made you decide on 17"s up front? I've seen larger rear wheels and of course the big n' little tires, but can't say I've seen 17/15 combo. Do you have any pics of a simmilar setup for reference?
Also, what are you using for rear suspension? 4 link? leafs?

Need 17's on the front to clear the Crown Victoria disc brakes and calipers. Plus the style of wheels that i am choosing do not make the 16x14 or 17x14 for the rear. For the rear I will be using triagulated 4 link with Crown Vic Front strut as coil over. I dont like the wheels this car has plus my rear tires are going to be much bigger. I will be running 31x18.50x15's

1715combo.jpg

Last edited:
Today I ordered my front and rear tires......I changed up my plans for the last time.....Going Pro street would create an issue with traveling....if I were to get a flat.....Ide be screwed....SO.....I will be going with General Tire G-Max 275/40ZR18 mounted on Centerline Wheels Competition Series CRS1 18x9.5 for the rear and 205/50ZR17 on 17x7 front. Both of them with a 5 inch back spacing.

These are the tires.....
impp-1108-03-ogeneral-tire-g-maxtire.jpg

these are the wheels
9565.jpg