Home built tools & machines

unclebill

I was looking at the planishing hammer that BCT was making and decided that I would like to see what other rodders have built or made as well. I will go first but I will say that my machines are not really hot rod stuff but then, I have only had my '35 for 6 months or so. I wanted a wood lathe and there was nothing that I needed at the time (35 yrs ago). This is what I made. The headstock & tail stock are wood on purpose to soak up vibrations, I turned the 1&1/4" shafts and put morse tapers in them as well. Turns a piece 16" x 34" or as small as 2'' x 1/4"

Woodlathe004.jpg

Woodlathe003.jpg

I also made myself a drum sander because I was doing a lot of burl inlay work The drum sander is 1&1/2 HP, does 16" wide and any length. I have sanded a 12" X 12" to 1/8" thick. Best machine I ever made and both are over 30yrs old and I still use them now.

drumsander003.jpg

drumsander002.jpg

drumsander005.jpg

I hope that this becomes a thread that will inspire others to make what ya can't buy or afford. In the future I hope to make a planishing machine and an english wheel. Do I need them, no, but I still want to have them because if I got them, I will learn to use them. Your next BCT and thanks for encouraging me to do this thread. UB

Very ingenious,Put a pantented on those great works of art,and introduce yourself to canadian tire.You never know;)

Well done and obviously successful. Years ago I visited a local yacht company that had the best of everything to build the boats, but the sander they used to finish their cabinet doors was a big wooden home built rig that worked just great, as good as any store bought machine. So sometimes even the pros rely on home brewed ingenuity and skills. Good job.

Unclebill, two things jump out right away which really impress me.

The 16" swing on that lathe, most are nowhere near that big unless you want to fork out major bucks. Of course you can bolt something outboard, but you are limited to something like an oversize plate.

That drum sander looks really good as well. And the proof is always in the pudding as to whether or not something like that works well...which yours obviously does.

Do you have power feed on the sander?

Just over a year ago I was going to make one. Ordered up all the bearings and pillow blocks from a U.S. supplier...the sob's took my Visa payment and never sent the goods. Fortunately, Visa is on the consumer's side in cases like this and they got my money back.

Maybe we can get Deuce Merchant to get back posting on his "yeti wheel" (english wheel)

Russ

Well, while we're looking at e-wheels, I'll put up a link to MetalMeet where I posted mine when I built it.http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3790&highlight=round+tube+e-wheel
There are a bunch of pics in that thread a couple pages into the thread. It wasn't painted at that time, I used it for 5 years before I finally painted it this past year. Looks a lot better now. It works real nice, has a 28 inch throat.
The link has most of the info on the build, so I won't elaborate a bunch here, I'm too lazy to type it all out again.

Trying to figure out pics posting.

I don't have a photobucket account any more. Last time I tried to get into it, I just got very very irritated, and couldn't make it work. My son-in-law added my three storey welding cart to garage journal last night, by dragging the pics into it. I have a brand new Imac that I'm still learning on. Do I absolutely have to use photobucket? I don't want to screw up this thread, with this useless information. Sorry.

Well, I can't post pics, but they are in the new link here for my Bugly Tools Stump Puller. I had this big stump in the shop, and it was a bear to move around. Since those pics were taken, it now has an official 8-ball shift knob on it. http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3905

Last edited:
John, if you go to the homepage and scroll down, you'll find it. If you have photobucket or flickr or anything like that you're half way there.

bead roller b4 power
beadrolllla003.jpg

drum puller
boxnpuller003.jpg

bead roller , planishing hammer, hoist, bead blaster and welding table....all homemade
planish003.jpg

Trying to figure out pics posting.

I don't have a photobucket account any more. Last time I tried to get into it, I just got very very irritated, and couldn't make it work. My son-in-law added my three storey welding cart to garage journal last night, by dragging the pics into it. I have a brand new Imac that I'm still learning on. Do I absolutely have to use photobucket? I don't want to screw up this thread, with this useless information. Sorry.

Well, I can't post pics, but they are in the new link here for my Bugly Tools Stump Puller. I had this big stump in the shop, and it was a bear to move around. Since those pics were taken, it now has an official 8-ball shift knob on it. http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3905

If you already have the photos on another website, all you do is these easy steps,
- right click the photo -
- left click properties -
- left click hold and hi-light the url (file) -
- right click the hi-lighted file and left click copy -
(go to where you wish to post the photo, in this case it's the Rodder Forum).
- left click on the 'Insert Image' icon top of dialog box
- remove http:// that appears
- left click cursor into the box
- right click and paste photo file.

Sounds complicated but quite simple.
If you want to stack your photos one on top the other rather then side by side like I did, than make sure you hit the ENTER key after each ...... filename.jpg[/img]
Now go ahead and post pics of the welding cart. If you need help PM me and we'll work through the steps on how to post photos.

PB250165.JPG
PB250167.JPG
PB250166.JPG

Last edited:
that stump is great...all great tools....the stump would be awesome with tucking forks in your accesories handle ...are you going to dish part of it out?

It has a dish in the top of it now. Those pics were taken several years ago. Its real easy to move around now.

Wood stump

I can answer this one. A wood stump is used to shape a piece to metal either by stretching or shrinking.

Most of the time the stump is hollowed out into a cone or bowl shape. You should be able to find some you-tube videos that describe how it is done. Most metalshapers rough out their panels on a stump and then go to the english wheel to finish the panel.

John from Lethbidge (JVO) has put on a metal shapers (called Metalmeet) each sprng for the last there years.

It is suprising what a good metalshaper can do with a wood stump.

Bob

a few more metal shaping tools
slappers i made yesterday
homemade002.jpg

old tractor tranny for a shot bag stand
homemade003.jpg

tucking tools , you can see which one didn't work
homemade004.jpg

i love this , it turns my horizontal bandsaw into a vertical for freehand stuff
homemade008.jpg