Performance World 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

playin hookie

Some pics from the show. (edit: oops should read Performance World 2011!!)

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Daves ride. Looked great and didn't smell like anti-freeze at all!! Nice work David.

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

Love the dash. Awesome but with all that bling your gonna need shades on for sure on a sunny day!

IMG_0893.jpg

Found this little gem tucked away in the corner. Really clean and great crisp lines.

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0898.jpg

Performance world 2011

Ok so I should mention I have a real bad head cold. I was looking ahead to next years show cause I posted this as 2012 show!!:eek:

Here's one more pic.

IMG_0888.jpg

Thanks for posting

My wife thanks you to now she does not have to post as many some nice cars but this show sucked $22.60 to get in half the show was rice rockets smallest car count i have ever seen met some good people from the site.

thanks for posting...does look a little on the sparse side as "shorts" indicates.

however did you forget there is a General Event - Ontario sub forum for posting this type of thread.
Frank went to alot of effort to set this forum up after receiving many suggestions to do so.

Last edited:
When you can pay $18., and it takes 6-8 hours to see the show at Cobo Hall, this sounds like a real dog & pony show.:(

I haven't been to this show in a few years and I was disappointed when I went today. I was good hanging out and chatting with Linc and seeing his roadster again. Got a chance to talk to Stoney, that guy is like a mad scientist.
There were some nice rides, but I think it was overpriced for what was there.
TBJ was right, it would have been nice to see more focus on some great canadian builders.

grumper

Been about 9 years since we have been to the show. Back then on a Saturday afternoon you were shoulder to shoulder walking through the front building, not this year, you could look down the aisles with no problem, hardly any cars or spectators. Really haven't missed much, might go back in another 10 years but if this year is any indication doubt the show will be around. When Dizzy ran the show he treated the participants very well( $5000 for the grand price winner along with a trip to the Bahamas), not any more. If you win an award, when they give you the check for $100 they hand you a tax(IE T4) at the same time. This is what happens when a corporation run a show for big profits rather than a car guy who gives something back to those who make the show a sucess.

I was going to go to the show to support the Canadian content but I heard that the show was lame. It was lame last year!!! Don't these guys get it? Charging 30 bucks to show your car in this weather? There are so many things that can be done to showcase the talented builders we have here in the great white north. Yet the promoters have to travel to Cobo to bring in the outsiders to hopefully get the gate numbers up. WRONG !!!! What about the great builders like Bill Snow how about a tribute to his legacy? How about a tribute to the cars and the builders of the east end of Toronto? Some of them are still alive you know.
How about a voucher for the kids where you can get a hot-dog and a drink for 3 bucks instead of a 5 dollar slice of crap pizza from the big guys?
How about value for the money?? where is the suede palace??? This show is on it's way out. So all you lame promoters should take a big bow...and get out while you can. Kudos for the guys who showed up with their wheels and their displays but this show is on it's last legs. WHERE THE HELL IS LARRY KING??? He knew what was going on... Just my 2 cents guys... TBJ

Nothing personal here, I gather from all the "complaining" about the entrance fee, not just by you but also others, that this show is not affilated with any show circuit. Its still an inexpensive entrance fee.

Well, to get in the Calgary W.O.W., one coughs up the $50 entrance fee or you don't go. It has been that way for a while. That $50 is the ISCA show circuit fee.
And yes, some rides were paid to come to this years show, not only one-way miles but motels too, and the promoters didn't go to COBO. Its the nature of the beast for indoor shows.
The Calgary show "almost" died too, many years back, it was the same ole same ole, so nobody bothered to show their cars.
the car auction that was held for a few years also just about "killed" the show.

Most indoor show charge an entrance fee, for example, the Draggin's of Saskatton charge $30 to enter their 51st annual show whereas the Majestics of Regina want $35 for their 45th show. entrance fees help pay for the cash awards. Oh, and its the CRA that wants the income tax deducted at source.
Look at Edmonton, a big corp bought the show last year from private interests, it was their 25th show last year, and this year nothing. They don't get a show as this new guy is more interested in promoting auctions. Shows are secondary.

You may have a point on many aspects of this show....entrance fee, admisssion fee, food costs, builders tributes but did you show you ride?
If you don't like it, put one on yourself, or better yet, become part of the solution. Just maybe they are looking for help.

Last edited:
I love those cars in the first few pics. WOW and of course Dave's roadster. I could have gotten in for free to spend a few hours working the Right Coast Cars booth and visited my brother in the hospital in Hamilton while I was there, but the docs are keeping him completely sedated so I didn't go. Kinda glad I didn't now.

Performance World

I think it is more disappointment then complaining.But John you are so right and by talking it out it may become part of the solution One Bad 56 .I am a caraholic i love carshows so i would love to see this one get beter and continue thanks Mark.

TBJ, I was not aware that Frank and you have put shows on. Plus I totally agree with your comments.
Unfortunately, times are a changing. Indoor shows are expensive to put on today versus 10 years ago, plus they have to have a wider appeal to more people to surivive.
An example of that is Billy the Exterminator, now just what does he have to do with cars....nothing! But Calgary brought him in to attract more poeple to the show.
At the bigger shows, too many trailer queens so poker runs are out. The weather in Canada, especially the Prairies, is a deterent to driving your vehicle to the show.
The Landlords are greedy, parking fees are plain silly, everyone wants more and gives nothing, blah, blah.
As such, many indoor shows are disappearing as the old guard leaves and either a "business" takes it over, or it dies off cause no one else in the family wants to continue it. Time, money and the associated risks. Sometimes it too much for a business that doesn't know what it is doing.
Saskatoon and Regina are lucky in that its a car club does the show and hopefully continues as long as the club continues.
The Bosie Idaho show is another club example. But outside of these and a few others, its all business.

And yes, a business does expect to make a some sort of a profit, after all its a business, not a charity. One can not fault them for that. And some of these promoters are car nuts too, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. An example of that is the Seattle Roadster Show run by Dan Cyr, who also does the GNRS and Scramento shows.
The first couple of years it was a great show, but obviously not a money maker like the others, so he sold the "license" to the name and within 2 years it was gone. One year, there were 150 tuners as a side show. He has tried to resurrect it but to no avail. His attempts to do another competing show in Portland is a whole different story.

I use to attend the BC show at the PNE Forum for many years way back (when I was knee high to a hoop snake) but something happen and it went downhill and did dispappear for a while. Now they got two of them within a month of each other but I haven't been to both of them in the same year so no comments.

Maybe this is what's needed here, for it to fail so it can rise as a Phoenix from the ashes. Did any of the local car clubs get involved with the show.
In Calgary, if it wasn't for the car clubs (Diablos, Strathmore Funrunners, Lethbridge Street Wheeler, Foothills Street Rods, Nifty fifty club, Mopar club, Mustang club, Tin Indians, etc), there may not have been a show the last couple of years.

Its unfortunate when a show fails as the rod and custom crowd are left with no venue to display their talent.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pics. I was there sat night and must of missed a row
I met a few people and got talking, so I guess I got off track a bit
It was nice to see some nice cars and meet some friendly faces

Thanks for the pics, looks like some nice stuff there, and good for you Link getting that mess cleaned up and ship shape.

I guess some people have issues with this show. I was only at this show once before 2008 and I do think that the previous show was a little better. With that said, I still enjoyed my day and would go again.

Don't mean to hijack hookie's thread just want to add some of my pics.

This Deuce blew my socks of. Couldn't get away from it and I actually got some good ideas on front frame setup for my coupe.

039-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

043-2.jpg

051-1.jpg

050-1.jpg

053-1.jpg

056-1.jpg
061.jpg

068.jpg
067-1.jpg

Like Shorts, I'm a caraholic too, so I'll go to just about any car show. It was good to get out and meet some of the folks from the site, chatted with Linc & Stony at the Oddball booth. I felt that the quality of the cars at the show was good, but I feel that it would be nice if there was a bit more variety in the cars that are there. I know that I may take some flak on this, but IMHO, many of the cars tend to be somewhat predicable in their execution. This is not to say that the cars are bad, or that their quality is poor, but I like to see cars that you wouldn't normally expect to see at a car show, or those that have an unusual characteristic or quality to them. I really liked the black '32 highboy coupe, because it reminded you of a period car, but it had some newer items on it that were cleverly incorporated into it, so you really had to look at it carefully to see them. It is those types of cars that I enjoy seeing at a show, regardless of what type of car they are, or what year they are. Just my $0.02.
By the way, thanks premier McGuinty for the HST, and that it applies to the admission fees on shows like this-NOT!

Those Honda's were in the show, damn? I was telling my buddies that if they went to the back door they must be selling indoor parking spots, didn't even realize that was part of the ever dwindling Performance World show. We had a great day pinstriping though, the majority of us were painting for cash , some small jobs, others were larger.The investor group who currently own the show certainly need to pull up their socks, or hurry and sell to someone who will, it would be a shame to see old Dizzy Deans dreams just drift away.

Chris Stapley.

OTE=shorts;106986]My wife thanks you to now she does not have to post as many some nice cars but this show sucked $22.60 to get in half the show was rice rockets smallest car count i have ever seen met some good people from the site.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.