ont ubuild in bc

tiki91

i bought a 33 ford 3 window in ontario and had it shiped to bc they say i need a new vin and have to have it registered as a ubuilt.what will my inspection be classified as. am i doomed. or can i make it work. it has a oringinal 33 frame .but the body is glass.it was regesterd as a 33 ford coupe in ontario. marker lamps, sun visors, bumper height ect.

33 ford had serial # on trany and frame nothing on body does the ont ownership vin match the # on the frame ? drivers side frame rail right above where original steering box would of mounted.

Glass or steel replica bodies must be registered as U builts with an assigned serial number.
A few years back, a fellow on the Island registered a '32 Roadster as original, then crashed the car but it was a glass car and the claim was denied.

I built my 32 in bc and decided to register it as a 2005 u-built for that very reason, everything is fine until you have an accident and find out you have no coverage.I had the chance to register it as a 32 by saying I had some original 32 part on it but decided not to.The down side is moving to Ontario and having to comply with drive clean as if it's now a 05 Ford car that needs everything you can imagine like cats, egr,gas cap,etc.:mad:

Randy

33 ford had serial # on trany and frame nothing on body does the ont ownership vin match the # on the frame ? drivers side frame rail right above where original steering box would of mounted.
frame and firewall vin match as well as the registration papers.what i want to know. what will be required for a pass on the bc inspection. outside door handles, visors ,marker lamps ect.

Keep in mind it will be a ubuilt. The Specialty Vehicle Association of BC is currently trying to rectify this reggy situation and hopefully will follow US
states which call the car a 1932 Ford roadster "replica". You will not be able
to get collector plates, but the car will at least be registered as to what it looks like.

You will not need visors, side markers,door handles, etc. Only outside stuff that an original stock vehicle would have had.

Your post in January 2012 and subsequent replies regarding fibreglass cars should have twigged you to what the situation is here in BC
but you will be able to insure and drive it and have fun !!!

Last edited:
Glass or steel replica bodies must be registered as U builts with an assigned serial number.
A few years back, a fellow on the Island registered a '32 Roadster as original, then crashed the car but it was a glass car and the claim was denied.

The setup here is they are asking for something that no one can prove.If you live in BC you should be pissed.Leaving the interpretation of the law up to the individual bureaucrat is just asking for trouble.Im not saying registering a replica as something its not is right but at the end of the day if you put a glass body 33 on a original frame beside an original car with a different drive train, original or upgraded. they boath have the same documention as to its origin.Like it or not its a fact. now if ford had used body tags its a hole different ball game.Who makes the call and is it going to be the same between the person doing the registration , the insurance adjuster,the cops. Im sure that an original body on an aftermarket frame is ok to register as a ford ? To be honest I think you would be better off registering as a u built seeing the province has there own ajenda and fords original numbering system is not part of it.

Keep in mind it will be a ubuilt. The Specialty Vehicle Association of BC is currently trying to rectify this reggy situation and hopefully will follow US
states which call the car a 1932 Ford roadster "replica". You will not be able
to get collector plates, but the car will at least be registered as to what it looks like.

You will not need visors, side markers,door handles, etc. Only outside stuff that an original stock vehicle would have had.

Your post in January 2012 and subsequent replies regarding fibreglass cars should have twigged you to what the situation is here in BC
but you will be able to insure and drive it and have fun !!!

modified and collector modified have different rules such as bumber height out side door handles does my 1933 replica ubuilt fall under regular car inspection or is it up to the inspector.i have 7 inch clearance on my frt bumper. but 16 is the min for regular cars i just dont know what to expect. any insight on this would be great.

Tiki

I don't think you will have any problems with an inspection. As well, it was registered and inspected in Ontario (?) I think.....and providing that info to
the inspector will help as well. Find an inspector in your area who understands
hot rods and I am sure you will have no problems.
Bumper height in my view, is not a problem in your case.
So, apply for your assigned vin, talk to an inspector, have him come to the house if necessary to have him see what is being looked at, and if he sees some small items you can correct them before taking the car in.

And, good luck!!:)

I think Shiney (sean) at Shawnigan Lake is an inspector.
If you do not know who he is I have his phone # somewhere in
my garage desk.

Tiki

I don't think you will have any problems with an inspection. As well, it was registered and inspected in Ontario (?) I think.....and providing that info to
the inspector will help as well. Find an inspector in your area who understands
hot rods and I am sure you will have no problems.
Bumper height in my view, is not a problem in your case.
So, apply for your assigned vin, talk to an inspector, have him come to the house if necessary to have him see what is being looked at, and if he sees some small items you can correct them before taking the car in.

And, good luck!!:)
thanks for the info. it war registered in ontario as a 1933 ford. i have the ontario pink slip to prove it .

Man that thing is mint. Even if they push the bumper hight cant see it being a big deal to fab a quick bracket to make em happy . not like you have to live with it forever ;) Wipers might be a good thing livin in bc but Ive allways been happy with rain x. works good as long as your moving the faster the better. You should stick a couple arms with blades on to make it at least look ligit. Very nice score.

thanks. working on the wipers now .inspection next week.got my new bc vin ubilt with an alterd status.

Last edited:
If you lived in aircare territory (vancouver to the wiegh scales just before hope) they would not let it go through because of no hood sides how stupid is that!! If I still had my shop in chilliwack I would have no problem inspecting it:D hope your inspector treats you rite.

Randy

got my inspection today passed on the first try got my blues and whites and going cruising. thanks everyone for you help.

Terrific Tiki.......glad everything went well.....have fun cruisin' :)