Old Drag Racing Photos from Edmonton

I must have. I can think of pictures we had that are not in the ones I posted so where are they??? Must look in other places. I will find them

old photos dawson creek drag racing

Can;t find the old photos from drag racing in the early years from the Dawson Creek area can you help Alcan av 8 or anyone else. enjoyed the photos in edmonton.

The two photos from Edmonton of the blue 56 chev (GOOD VIBRATIONS) was out old drag car. I found these photos through google when Alcan AV8 posted them originaly. That is what brought me to this site. It's all his fault!:D

Good threads!

I recall seeing the "Bigfoot" Falcon from the Dawson Creek thread for sale on eBay about 3-4 years ago. It was in Alix, AB, and as I recall it was listed as a Frontenac and the hood was missing.

Anyone know if it's still around?

Couple more pics from Speedway track, around 1969. Sinclair-Fjallman A Fueler out of Red Deer.

70-17July131969.jpg

74-26AAug101969.jpg

Color02.jpg

The car is now a "CACKLER" after being authenticly restored by one of the original owners. Pic is from initial q

Whoops wrong button. This pic is from initial fire up after resto, that's 240 Gordie Bonin in the seat, he drove original car for a few years before hitting the professional ranks. Someone forgot the nitro mask that night. Nothing like waking up the hood eh Scottie?

IMG_0396.jpg

WOW!
I don't know how I missed this thread. My first time to Speedway in Edmonton I was 11 or 12. My neighbor took me to the funny car nationals. I was hooked instantly! Just seeing those youtube videos made it all come flooding back.I remember between rounds there was a pickup truck with some young women driving back and forth along the fence. I was standing right next to the fence and one of them threw a Revell model kit of the "Snake " funny car to me. That was my initiation to drag racing. The next race I went to was the GWG Foxhunt. If anyone doesn't remember GWG Scrubby jeans they were one of the first pre washed pre shrunk tighter than skin jeans. GWG sponsored this race and between rounds I got to experience my first wet t-shirt contest. As a kid I wasn't sure what was so special about a wet t-shirt....until I saw one! That was a formative moment for a young impressionable kid!....Drag racing and sex , what a combo! I would regularly go to Friday night bracket races and would always buy a pit pass and at the time they would allow you to stand next to the guardrail to watch. We would stand at about the 100 foot mark and would see some awsome burnouts and the occasional wheelstand. I'm not sure which race it was but I saw one of the AA altered cars like Pure Hell do a hard launch and actually get all four wheels off the ground.....unforgettable!
I could go on and on . Thank you for posting those videos! It took me back to a place I haven't been in decades

The owners had the Sinclair-Fjallman A Fueler out at THE RIVER RUN @ Evansburg (not sure if it was 2011 or 2010)....and they fired it up on 85% and ran it a couple minutes....that was cool, but it was also very amusing watching the looks on the faces of some of the other people each time he gave it a shot....there was one lady who would almost get air each time he hit it:):)

And as for Edmonton, I attended my first race @ Speedway Park while a senior in High School (1979). A friend and I drove down from GP for The Coca-Cola Funny Car Nationals. It was AWESOME!! There were Fuelers, and we watched them go through the motor on Gordy Bonin's Bubble Up Funny Car.
Because it was also a divisional points meet, there were also plenty of Class Cars up from the western states, and watching the Modified Production and Super Stock cars pull huge wheelstands at the line was great!!

James

Last edited:
James , we were probably at some of the same races. I was a HS senior in 1980 in Edmonton. I lived about 5 miles from Speedway and rode my bike a couple times to see some of the races.

Jethro: Quite likely:) At that time, I still lived in Grande Prairie (~5hrs NW of Edm)...but in the fall of 1980, I spent 8 weeks in Edmonton, doing my first year apprenticeship training @ N.A.I.T. (autobody), and the place I was room & boarding @ was in Rosslyn ( ~136Ave/108St), so I could hear the noise from there:) On the weekends that there was racing, I would stay in Edm & spend all weekend @ the track:):)

James

James , we were probably at some of the same races. I was a HS senior in 1980 in Edmonton. I lived about 5 miles from Speedway and rode my bike a couple times to see some of the races.

Still trying to trace old Fiat Altered

Still hoping to find the history of a old Fiat altered the was run in Alberta in the 60's and early 70's.
It had a Fiat fibreglass body original and ran a small block motor.
I have traced the original body and it is on a new chassis running in Saskatchewan, (think it's yellow now). By asking around I was told the car was found stored in a trailer for years in maybe the St Albert area.

I posted pictures with a T-Bucket body that was added in Saskatchewan before it was shipped to Vancouver Island. Bucket body had a Draggons car club decal on the window and there was a Saskatchewan beer can as a rad. over flow. The roll cage seems to be updated, but the main frame seems to be original.
Has the American 12 spoke front wheels with the wide rear slots, 8 3/4 rear end, had tranny blanket and an old orange shute.

a008_18.jpg

a003_23.jpg

a006_20.jpg

drag race pics

is there anyway to view these pics other than photo bucket, i am ;looking for pics of my Daytona towing the 1968 chinook Hemi dart in either Calgary or Edmonton, let me know . thx

It's too bad that all the pictures are gone due to photosuckit.
I was hoping my black 65 Barracuda would have shown up in some of the pictures.

I was only 18 but I loved running at EIS.

Then people started developing the land all around the speedway, building houses and moving in.

Then, the complaints started, the racetrack was too loud. :mad:

People are stupid, build close to something like a race track or an airport then try to get it closed....:D

I used to race my mom's 70 chevy wagon in 1977 when I was 17 . 454 was the fastest thing I could get my hands on . Dad would get pissed off about the tires , then ask how fast it ran.