Old Drag Racing Photos from Edmonton

That was a good time for drag racing and 2 private guys on low wages could run a car between them like we did and have a ball.

Ya what happen to those days ? Now you need at least 10 grand to even get started, watching what guys can do on a budget is more my kind of racing. All the sponsors and rich people made it a pissing competition for the flashest and high end race cars, I'd like to see more of the old school racers. But nothing beats a guy that did his homework build the car cheap and kicks some high end cars a$$, still see the odd guy.

the Anglia

on the trailer with laced paint im sure is my Anglia [Agitator] It was built in 65/66 by Vern Hicks & son around LA AA/G. The hemi was pulled & put in a Cuda body .Vern said he sold it to a police man in the Idaho area where it ran with a sbc then sold to Alberta area for years running c/gas out of Calgary I found it in a bodyshop in Kamloops & had it in many forms since the early 80,s I asked Vern if I could keep the Agitator name on the car &he said OK Thanks for the pics Alcan AV8 Gord

Last edited:
What a great thread on Canadian drag racing from the west.....hope there's more pictures to come..... just excellent.

going through some pics tonite and found these from 1970 Edmonton--got more but don't know where they got stashed

Edmonton04.jpg

Edmonton03.jpg

Edmonton01.jpg

Edmonton02.jpg

Gord---did you like the side shot pic of your Anglia--too bad it wasn't in color---chop is moving along good--:D

Nice surprize to find Jim's 56 chev in here. Jim used to pick me up from high school in this car in 1966. It was the stock red and white back then before it became a dedicated race car. The good old days flat towing that car to the Winternationals, Seattle, Arlington and many other strips. Jim's favorite track was in Duncan on Vancouver Island. It was the very last car down that track before they shut it down. Thanks for the posting the pics and the good memories.
Riekie Armstrong

Cobble Hill

Nice surprize to find Jim's 56 chev in here. Jim used to pick me up from high school in this car in 1966. It was the stock red and white back then before it became a dedicated race car. The good old days flat towing that car to the Winternationals, Seattle, Arlington and many other strips. Jim's favorite track was in Duncan on Vancouver Island. It was the very last car down that track before they shut it down. Thanks for the posting the pics and the good memories.
Riekie Armstrong
Cobble Hill south of Duncan.

Riekie,I grew up in Richmond with Jim, Pete Holmes too, maybe you remember me,Boyd Wylie.Welcome to the site

Riekie,I grew up in Richmond with Jim, Pete Holmes too, maybe you remember me,Boyd Wylie.Welcome to the site
LOL I was saying to my b/friend as i was posting. "Hmm wonder if thats Boyd Wylie?" I explained to him that Jim had a friend named Boyd Wylie and it was probably you as you knew alot about Jim's 56. So, yes I do remember you. I will have to go through the box of photos I have and post some of them here. Jim and I got into photography for a while so I have lots of picures.
I currently have the bug to get an old car of some sort but am looking for a done car with late model runing gear. Jim and I were hot rodding an old 51 but he became too ill to finish it and we sold it about a year before he passed away.

Cobble Hill south of Duncan.
You're right. I remember a weekend we drove over in our street car (67 chevelle SS) just to watch but Jim decided it would be a good idea to put a run on it. It broke, rod through the block. Hmmm how to get it home. Two fellow racers offered to bring the car to us for the cost of the ferry. We lived in Richmond and the next day about noon, the flatdeck brought our car home. Nice guys.

I grew up in Richmond with Jim, Pete Holmes

Boyd could this be the same Pete Holmes that had a engine shop in chilliwack?

Randy