New member from southwestern Alberta

Just a quick note!

I am waiting for the Administration to process my Supporting Member fees and will post some build pictures ASAP.

Just wondering if I should start a new thread for that - when it happens??? Any thought?

I think you should have a build thread! Yes it's mostly done but sharing old pics of different aspects of your build all in one place makes reference easy. Besides great place to show off your pride. I did the same thing.
Fred

I have a friend who just put on new calipers on his rod. The calipers were for a Chev S10 and he had them mounted backwards. You could bleed them but you couldn't get a solid pedal. Once he changed them from side to side, rebled them, the pedal was there.

I think you should have a build thread! Yes it's mostly done but sharing old pics of different aspects of your build all in one place makes reference easy. Besides great place to show off your pride. I did the same thing.
Fred
Thats definitely what I will do then. Thanks much.

Barry

Well I'll be snookered!!!

I checked the front callipers over and compared them to the old ones I took off and they seemed the same. I also believe they were on the correct sides. It surely looks like to me that if I had them on the wrong sides the bleeder(s) would be pointing down.

Then I decided to install the new pads I bought a couple of weeks ago before the snow storms and winds picked up which kept me busy for almost a week.

I of course compared the old pads to the new ones and the old ones were considerably more than 1/2 worn down. I installed the new pads on both sides did a quick bleed and I now have better brake pedal than I have ever had. If I recall about the same as when I tested the booster and M/C prior to hooking them up to any brakes.

I still have the old rotors on so maybe when we get new rotors on it they will get even better.

The pedal is not as good as my Tacoma or Dodge 3/4 ton but I'm not sure I will ever get as good a pedal as those newer vehicles.

Anyway I'm pretty darn happy right now. Just needed a bit of external motivation I think.

I just recently heard of brake bleeder nipples that incorporate check valves to make the task much easier. Here's a link, Russell Speed Bleeders. Looks like a good option to me. The thicker brake pads shouldn't make any difference to the pedal feel, other than the space for air behind the piston is less. But it could be that there is still a bit of air there, depending on how the bleeding is done. Another issue could be the flex hoses. If they are swelling, you will have a spongy pedal.

Well I am going to go back out tomorrow and see how it feels but it sure seemed better.

Maybe bleed some more. I did not use it today but I have a fluid suction pump "evacuator" that hooks up to my compressed air system and the bleeders. It will suck the M/C dry in a few minutes if you let it. Ask me how I know!

All the flex hoses are new. Pretty much everything is new except the rotors/hubs for now.

I had to crack the brake line connection to the caliper to get the plunger pushed back in so the new pads would fit. Maybe there was a bit of an air lock in there. I am getting good fluid flow out the bleeders after pumping and holding. Maybe a bit of a mystery but It remains that I have better brake pedal than I have ever had - so that is a good thing.

Just a quick note!

I am waiting for the Administration to process my Supporting Member fees and will post some build pictures ASAP.

Just wondering if I should start a new thread for that - when it happens??? Any thought?

Done.

Welcome to the group. Really enjoyed your intro. Now I will go see if you started a build page...’cause we all like pictures.
Enjoy the site, great bunch!
Greg, Central AB.