New member from southwestern Alberta

56chevtrk

Supporting Member
Hi all - New guy here from southwestern Alberta. I am in the final stages of a nearly 15 year build on a 1956 Chev 1300 short wheel base, step side, big back window pickup.

I have been lurking on and off for a few years ever since meeting a bunch of members on the ferry coming back from Newfoundland. I had a good chat with a few of them and ever since thought about joining.

By way of setting this build up I am the second and fourth owner of this truck. I bought it off the original owner in the 1970's for $300, sold it running a few years later for $1300 and bought it back in pieces and boxes almost 35 years later for $2000. I always regretted selling it!!!

I started rebuilding it, as said, almost 15 years ago when I was still working so it was a bit here and a bit there as well buying parts when I could. I live fairly close to Montana so many of my parts came up from the U.S. About 6 years ago my wife and myself started spending portions of our winters in Arizona so I really started to bring back more parts.

It has a new 350 Ramjet engine, rebuilt and upgraded 700R4 transmission and rebuilt 3.41 posi-track Chev truck 12 bolt differential. The body of the truck is actually mounted on a shortened 1980 Chev C10 short wheel base frame. Knowing what I know now I would have found a straight 1956 frame but its too late to second guess that decision. It sits very well on the later frame and suspension parts are readily available so its all good.

Also as said I am in the final stages of building and had hoped on having it on the road last summer but I ran into a few issues that I am still working out.

My issues are mostly related to brakes. The first firewall mounted brake booster and master cylinder I purchased at the beginning of the build was not working properly by the time I finally got around to testing them - 15 years later. Of course Covid had hit so getting parts out of the U.S. was a bit more difficult! I finally bit the bullet and found a Corvette style booster and master in California and had them ship it. It was not as bad as I thought it would be but definitely more difficult. I am still having some trouble getting a nice hard pedal so may have to pick some of the smart brains on this forum.

I did much of the initial metal work myself that included new steps, cab corners and some other body repairs. When it came down to repairing the bottoms of the doors I had to look for some help as after welding the first one on it got away from me and looked terrible. I found an old school metal guy in Lethbridge, Alberta who fixed the doors and a couple of my other areas I had worked on. The metal work end up looking really good and then it went to a body shop in Coaldale, Alberta for paint.

I also installed an AAW wiring harness kit and Ron Frances Computer and engine controller wiring harness.

I got the truck back this spring from the body shop and began to reassemble it and get it running. It now starts and runs real well. It just doesn't stop yet!

It is going back to the body shop for wet sanding and to fix up a couple of scratches I put on and to fix a few other problem areas that the body shop agrees are deficient.

Looking forward to reading more posts in the forum and maybe getting to know a few members.

Last edited:
What a great introduction. Thanks so much for joining us. Please do have fun here !

Welcome aboard ! Nice truck. Looking forward to more pictures :) Lots of good info here

Welcome!
Reading Lethbridge and Coaldale warms my heart as I have a gearhead brothers living in both places.
Fred

Definitely a comprehensive intro. Lots of help here.
Is it Barry?

If so, Barry, I led a pack from Lethbridge through Cardston (and Mountain View) en route to Waterton Park on the 2010 Canadian Hot Rod Tour. That's us in the blue roadster up front.

Yes it is Barry and you would have driven right past my place on that run. I see lots of classics going by in the summer.

I am on the highway about 5 km east of Mountain View. I also have a 73 Nova dressed up like a 72 with a 350 4 speed. Just can't stand looking at those 5 mph crash impact bumpers!!! Prefer the 72 grille as well. Still have all the original 73 stuff just in case I ever sell it but its just too much fun to drive and has kept me sane while building the 56.

Thanks so much to all of you for your warm welcome. Correct me if I am wrong but: Do I need to become a supporting member to post pictures? I have lots of them and am willing to share.

Welcome to the group here. Your project fits right in. Great intro. Hope you get the brakes working properly soon. Non supporting members can still post pictures by linking to a third party hosting service like Imgur. Supporting members can post pictures directly to this site.

Nice intro Barry, glad to hear that you will be driving it before too long. We all would do things differently if we had our time over again.

I thought I had more pics of your truck. This is the only one I have. Welcome aboard Barry. I'm anxious to see where you are with the project now also.
IMG_3690.jpg

Hey good to hear from you John. I had hoped to drop by your shop this past summer with the truck running but as said my
little brake issue" put a stop to that! This site is now helping me to get re-motivated to get back on it. I had several issues pop up this summer including my Cummins loosing 4 injectors, my irrigation pump crapping out and my lawn mower puking out a engine seal that seemed to suck up all my disposable funds!!!

Yup it sure looks a little different now.

I have just sent in some funds to become a supporting member and hope to get some photos up soon - hopefully this weekend.

Welcome aboard from another newbie, looking forward to more pictures of your build. Very diverse 'tour', thanks for posting the video.

Welcome aboad and great into. Looking forward to more pics.

Disc/drum or disc/disc set up?

It is a disc/drum set up. Actually the 1980 1/2 ton set up that came attached with the frame.

I am pretty sure that my original purchase 15 years ago of the firewall mounted booster/MC simply dried out. I have now installed a new Corvette-style booster/MC and after bench bleeding M/C had firm pedal with front/rear hydraulic lines blocked off.

After hooking up new front disc callipers I am having trouble getting pedal back up. Rear brake hydraulic lines are still blocked off. Trying to isolate problem.

I still have original 1980 rotors/hubs (one piece) on with new callipers and just picked up some new pads to try again - maybe thicker pads will help. Truck will get new rotors/hubs when in shop in town when it goes in for front end alignment and inspection. Everything up front has been replaced. This shop has gone over a previous build or two of mine before they got put on the road and I think they are pretty good.

...... a long shot, ... but can the calipers be interchanged from side to side and still fit, ... if they are left and right the bleeder will be in the wrong place trapping air? o_O

Welcome to the forum.I've always like those Pickups. My first complete paint job was a 57, way back, painted with straight enamel too. lol

...... a long shot, ... but can the calipers be interchanged from side to side and still fit, ... if they are left and right the bleeder will be in the wrong place trapping air? o_O
Both bleeders are pointing up! Could they still be on the wrong side if they are both pointing up?

Both bleeders are pointing up! Could they still be on the wrong side if they are both pointing up?
Probably not, I looked on Rock Auto for pictures and there is a left and right but other than the opposite bleeder locations look the same. Can they be mounted on either side (backwards) ? Which way is the bleeder supposed to face? While at Rock Auto there are more than one size front rotors and calipers? (JB6-JB7)

Probably not, I looked on Rock Auto for pictures and there is a left and right but other than the opposite bleeder locations look the same. Can they be mounted on either side (backwards) ? Which way is the bleeder supposed to face? While at Rock Auto there are more than one size front rotors and calipers? (JB6-JB7)

Well now you have me thinking!

I am going to look further into exactly how they are mounted - backwards or right/left, which way the bleeders are supposed to be facing and at the different sizes of rotors and callipers.

I also have some new pads that I might try after investigating the above.

As an aside I am able to get brake fluid to run out of the bleeders when I back them off and/or remove them completely and have bled them multiple times. I can't even remember how much fluid I have run through them!!!