My trip to Atlantic Nationals-2009 with Canadian Hotrod Tour

Denise, I'll be doing a complete write-up in the not too distant future.

If I ever get home I will post
here in Cornwall on a Saturday night
home tomorrow
pics by the end of the week

Drove from Syracuse to home on Saturday, 700 miles. Long day, lots of fun.

What a great trip (I didn't notice the bad weather, guess I was having too much fun).

As others have said, we got to meet a lot of great people. Thanks to Frank and Judy for planning the trip and Moe for providing support. Thanks also to Jaime who helped me with my small problem. (Jamie, send me a PM with your address, I picked up more tape in Syracuse).

Hope to see you all down the road,
Phil & Jeanette Prather
brown '31 Vicky

Interesting to read everyone's posts. Weather is weather - thats why we have RainX, raincoats, sweaters, and heaters in cars. If its too hot, roll down the windows. I spent a fortune on fixing the 40 year old AC on my car and never even used it once - go figure.

Hats off to Frank and Judy for a fantastic job :)- and to Moe for getting to live out his fantasy of 5 hugs every morning - from 5 different women :D ! And to Jamie and Stacey for the constant smiles when we all know they hurt like hell. And to John and Jan from Oz - the award for best burnout in a rental car!

So many different cars on the tour - each with a different story. Convertibles that leaked??? What a surprise. Rods that bottomed out - what a surprise. Parts that broke?? Of course. Did anyone have something that did not break? We had a transmission leak that spewed smoke and oil over everyone else behind us, we just slowed down and let everyone else pass. And of course added tranny fluid at every other gas stop. What do you expect after doing the Cabot Trail and then doing Peggy's Cove and then Cape Enrage (20 km 1 lane road up and down like a yoyo).

We loved all the Rods on the tour. Cudos to all the couples who had to ride together in that little space and still talk to each other when they got home!

Great sites, mixed hotels, great food (well maybe not in Perth???) and great people made up for everything that didn't go as planned.

We did spend 2 days at the Atlantic Nationals - really well organized. Very nice people and some amazing prizes for East Coast Canada. Our friends from Miramichi won the 47 Chev Truck - they are still in shock. Could have used the Ultimate garage prize from NAPA though - $11,000 of tools and stuff.

Had to be back on Tuesday so we drove 14 hours from New Brunswick to Toronto on Monday, with a stop in Montreal for deli lunch. Still have smiles on our faces from a great Points East tour!

Best wishes to Rick and his family for a speedy recovery.

Best wishes to everyone for more trips together - wherever Frank decides to go - or is that where Judy decides to go??

Although the tour was a tad damp, and I probably had the dry-east ride, I had a ball. With the KIWI keeping us in stitches, and Frank giving out the prizes, it was up to Judy and I to keep everybody as happy as possible. So, we agreed that there's nothing like a hug in the morning to start the day of right, and I tried as hard as I could to do my part.

Since I didn't have a GPS and I found it hard to follow the instructions and drive at the same time, I'd like to thank Mike and Diane with their GPS for staying to the back of the pack and allowing me to follow them, so I didn't get lost. Thanks Mike and Diane and hopefully see you in Sudbury in a couple of weeks. Mike, pray to the rain gods for good weather, I've already started.

Again, I had a great time, and met a lot of new friends.........................Moe

You're welcome Moe:) I have to say, after we split up, it took a few hundred miles to get used to the fact that you were no longer in my rear view mirror:rolleyes:.
About our GPS, it's a Garmin 780 that has a "mind" of it's own! On two occasions, it took us thru a scenic route where we were nowhere near a major hiway but got us to where we needed to be, at the appointed time....more or less:D We did see some beautiful country, however!
On the way home, the GPS gave up the ghost so, it was returned to Costco for a full refund and a Model 265 WT was bought to replace it.
About the weather...this is our 18th show and we have been rained out only twice:D:D. We are doing the neccessary dances to the SUN GOD and burning candles to the HOTROD GODS and it should all work out. Hoping to see a lot of you "Southerners" this year. There are car "doin's" north of #9 Hiway, don't you know!!! :D:D
Mike

Well, this was my first tour, and a maiden voyage for my car. Overall it was a fantastic trip and I would also do it again in a heartbeat if possible. Really great people and hats off to Frank and Judy for all the hard work. My dad and I had a great time.

I really commend Jamie and Stacey for braving all that nasty stuff and always with a smile on their face. Every time we fought the water gushing in around the windshield I could only think of what they must have been dealing with - made it hard to complain about anything!

The group we hung out with was a great bunch of people with positive attitudes and high spirits. Especially Pastor John from Oz, he's on another level completely, keeping everyone laughing. This is really what the trip was about for me. People, hot rods, and the drive.

We hope Rick is on a speedy road to recovery.

Thanks Frank (and the army of one)!

Last edited:
Hi Mike, now I know who Oldman is. I kind of missed watching the 2 lights on the trailer, with the tempermental left one, working when it felt like it. Have you had time to get a new lense yet? It's to bad about the GPS, hope the new one lasts a little longer and did you get the new one at Costco?

I've got my room booked, so hope all the dancing is successful(you know it might be worth the trip alone to see you and Cooter doing the Sun Dance), and we'll see you in a week or so............................Moe

Moe,

Lookin forward to seeing you again:) Yes, returning the GPS to Costco was a positive experience and they had another one there that will meet my needs. Cooter found a tail light lens at the little Flee market at the Atlantic Nats and secured it to the tail light with some "200 MPH" tape and it's still on the trailer:D:D
Mike

PS mIt's pouring here today with the forcast calling for rain 'till Monday sooooo....it should be dry for the car show weekend:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Mike

atlantic nats

I took my 47 ford to the Atlantic nats @ 4 or 5 years ago and had a great time, a great group of guys out there. The lovely Quebec highway did shake my entire muffler system apart, nice to see such improvements of there highways,seeing they probably spent at least $35 on improvements over the years!..Larry.