CLOSED - "A Crossroads" - Summary / Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was on the big forum to the south many years ago, if not logged in, but as a guest, one could not see any pictures.

Now they don't care Brian. Must be "Flush" I guess.

Thanks for all that breakdown Frank. Can you educate me again.
I suspect that on most of the "other" forums, as you have said, that if you don't want "ads" with your viewing, you simply register with your email etc. So the companies with the ads must pay some fee up front, which would help costs, BUT, judging from the number of new emails I get from outfits I've never heard of, they all just then sell your email info to many more from there?
I'm even now getting emails that show as coming from our local club members which are bogus if you hover over them. I suspect the constant need for people to forward "funny" things around also is spreading this. Even our phone numbers are sold as I must be going to jail because that guy with the CRA keeps calling me! Personal info is worth money these days. So just give me your bank account info Frank and I'll send an etransfer:eek:
Seriously just let us know the best way to proceed.

All right, another post from my iPhone! Haha
Direct as I can be, a very similar response as Keith‘S.
Option 3 would be my suggestion, it’s the way I would do it.
A bunch of options to consider, without thinking of others or group-think I would lean towards:
-$25-$50 annual subscription cost.
-Paid Members Can direct post pictures (a certain size Criteria should be used)
-Only Members and paid members can ‘see’ the pictures
-Classified ads should be created by members and paid members
-Private Messaging has been held away so long now, that we operate ok without it, but allowing paid members to create/use would be very nice. Now could you set that so a Paid Member could send a PM to a non-paying member? Would be nice. Non-members have no access until signed up as a member (and then could not initiate PM’s only receive and reply? Keep the salesman from mucking that up.
-Ads, paid members get a toggle to see the ads or turn them off.
-Badging is cool, like to see who is supporting, skin in the game.
-Thank you stuff; also very nice...I am glad that we have had a great spot to hang out over this many years already... yes I would like to see it continue, and more.

Thank you for your hours and efforts...Judy too!! Support is everything.
I hope that made some sense.
Greg
CDNflatlander

CDNflatlander's post, and PG409, pretty well sums up my thoughts on this matter.

Set up the fee to cover two or three years of new software and upgrades.
For example:
30 contributors at $30 = $900.
or
20 contributors at $50 = $1000.

More than enough for three or even four years with a little extra for the surprises in life.

Note: some "clubs" give multi-year deals such as the Goodguys and BCHRA to encourage sign up's and continuation/commitment

Last edited:
After reading the replies I have modified some of my thoughts on this. As it stands, my thoughts are
1-classifieds for paid members only
2-PM's for paid members only
3 My thoughts on viewing pics was the same as Bash's but I understand the point that Greg made and am now undecided but leaning towards Greg's idea.
4-I like the idea of direct image posting for paid members and having to use an outside source for non paid members
5- As far as what membership should cost, it should be MORE than enough to cover the costs. Frank contributes so much of his time and effort to this forum that he should NOT be out of pocket one dime and if memberships cover more than the costs, that A-OK but they should NOT be less. How to determine that I don't know.
6-I don't like the "badges" or any of that sort of "look at me, I paid" sort of stuff. I don't care one way or another if they are there, just don't like it.
7-As far as the amount, whatever. Nobody on this forum can honestly say that they don't spend at least $50 per year on this hobby that turns out to be a total waste of money. Pay for a subscription here and the value you get out of that is entirely in your hands by the amount of time you CHOOSE to come here and read and/or participate. Only YOU can make it worth the cost.
8-All opinions posted above subject to change without notice pending compelling arguments to the contrary.

Thanks for the replies guys.

8-All opinions posted above subject to change without notice pending compelling arguments to the contrary.

Cody, I actually laughed out loud - which I don't do often (Judy will attest to that)

I like and understand what license to kill just said.......

3 My thoughts on viewing pics was the same as Bash's but I understand the point that Greg made and am now undecided but leaning towards Greg's idea.
4-I like the idea of direct image posting for paid members and having to use an outside source for non paid members
5- As far as what membership should cost, it should be MORE than enough to cover the costs. Frank contributes so much of his time and effort to this forum that he should NOT be out of pocket one dime and if memberships cover more than the costs, that A-OK but they should NOT be less. How to determine that I don't know.
6-I don't like the "badges" or any of that sort of "look at me, I paid" sort of stuff. I don't care one way or another if they are there, just don't like it.
7-As far as the amount, whatever. Nobody on this forum can honestly say that they don't spend at least $50 per year on this hobby that turns out to be a total waste of money. Pay for a subscription here and the value you get out of that is entirely in your hands by the amount of time you CHOOSE to come here and read and/or participate. Only YOU can make it worth the cost.

The photo posting for members...will you still need a third party hosting and if not where are the files kept as in are you going to need to upgrade your equipment to store the photos ?

I vote for option 3 as well. As for funding I'll support whatever you come up with. When it comes to setting a donation amount the more you ask for from each member, the fewer will donate. Sometimes you will collect more in the form of a smaller donation from more members. So if you say 27 have indicated support, I would look at $20 x 20 members to raise $400 to get the license but ask members to sign up for annual dues of $10 to be taken by PayPal automatically (Like SVABC does) to maintain the site. Hopefully we would get 30 or more members.
I would acknowledge who the members are, as I think it will encourage others to join in. As for member privileges, I would limit it to the photo hosting on the site. Non members can still use outside photo hosting. I feel that guests and non member registered be able to view photos.

I'm for what every one else wants but when it comes to pics well I lost a bunch of mine on that photo bucket think they are on my computer some where but I can't find them

would be nice if we could post pics direct and use pm's but we've lived without them

and as far as donations I'm all for it all ways was

How are you going to handle a paying member that’s is...let’s call it unsportsmanlike conduct...?

How are you going to handle a paying member that’s is...let’s call it unsportsmanlike conduct...?
In the 11 years that I have been here i can only think of one member guilty of "unsportsmanlike conduct" and he left. He started his own forum and used the PM's here to try to recruit members (I got a request). Quite a few went there but I don't know why. The guy was a douche nozzle IMO. It was shortly after that that the PM's disappeared. I always assumed that that was the reason why. I cab think of MANY names that I haven't seen here for a long time that used to be regular contributors. I don't get it. This is one of the easiest going forums that I follow. Very few rules and none that hamstring ones ability to voice their thoughts that i can think of. The infamous "Davy Jo" was gone before I joined but he was VERY well liked and seemed to have his own following. Many of the petiole that I don''t see here anymore talked about him often and fondly and were part of that "following".

Cody ...you are right about one member screwing around with the pms. Two other members helped him. Sad really.
In iany event I think Frank is on the right track I support his thoughts and efforts.

Off topic but am sitting here doing more testing on the new software (free demo) and found a very cool feature. Kind of like other social media platforms, you can tag a person in you post (like: @stovbolt) and they will get notified when they go into the forum the next time.

So, like if I posted in "What did you do today" something like:
------------------------------------------------------------

I had a nice chat with Al about a Morris Minor. @stovbolt

------------------------------------------------------------

He would get a notification with a link to thread he was mentioned in.

There is also a "Follow" function if you wanted to follow a users posts.

And, you can bookmark a thread. So, if it slipped away to another page or whatever, you can simply check your bookmark list by a simple click, then click on the thread you're looking for and click on it. It will take you directly to that thread. It can be in any category. Example: a specific classified ad or whatever

Still finding my way around....

Last edited:
Option 3, and in for a reasonable fee. For me payment best by E-Transfer, I do not do PayPal.
What ever you choose for options will be alright with me.

Frank,
That "TAG" option is on a couple of forums I am on and a good feature if you want to get someones attention.

After reading the replies I have modified some of my thoughts on this. As it stands, my thoughts are

That’s a third for me.
As for the recognition, doesn’t much matter to me either way, could me a low key V.I.P. below your user name, or nothing at all.

The tag option you mentioned there frank I think would be good.
As for any excess funds that might be there after yearly fees are paid could simply be burnt off on merchandise ie, CR stickers or something easy of that nature.
I’m really not that picky, the direct photo posting is the one big one for me.

Thanks again frank.

Brian

That’s a third for me.
As for the recognition, doesn’t much matter to me either way, could me a low key V.I.P. below your user name, or nothing at all.

The tag option you mentioned there frank I think would be good.
As for any excess funds that might be there after yearly fees are paid could simply be burnt off on merchandise ie, CR stickers or something easy of that nature.
I’m really not that picky, the direct photo posting is the one big one for me.

Thanks again frank.

Brian

Like Brian said is fine with me especially the direct photo thing photobucket killed me and not savy enough to be going to other sites for free photo storage that eventually wants money

I am also in favor of financialy supporting the forum.. Don't post much these days . Life has brought major life style changes to my personal life but I still like the smell of car conversations and looking at rust and burning rubber.. whatever support is finalized I am in.. I have never used FB and never plan to.. I much like the smaller forums for fellowship.. I learned a lot from many members here..

Last edited:
Welcome back Chuck. We all hope things get sorted here. Look forward to your future posts:)

Status
Not open for further replies.