CLOSED - "A Crossroads" - Summary / Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
I've Closed The Previous "Crossroads" Thread

Overall Observation
As I write this, there have been essentially 1600 views (edited) to the “A Crossroads” thread with 77 replies (edited). 29 people (edited) contributed to the thread. That is, 29 people made one or more replies.

From my “vantage point”, I can see that the thread was visited many times by registered users not represented in the 29 as well as people not logged in (either registered users or guests). You can draw your own conclusions about the fact that 29 people took the time, or cared enough, to reply. My conclusion is implied in the phrasing of that last sentence.

I’ve read through all 75 posts a few times so I’ll attempt to summarize what is pertinent to the main question (options) outlined in the Thread “A Crossroads”.

To Reiterate Those Options
They were:
Option 1: Do nothing and simply wait for things to take a natural course at some point / let the forum die.

Option 2: Utilize one of the current open-source (free) forum software packages and attempt to convert the database. Ongoing support and upgrades for these are spotty and we could find ourselves at a similar crossroads.

Option 3: Purchase a software license for current commercial forum software. The current software would be installed by me and I would use one of the converters available to attempt to populate the new database with the current / existing data (registered users, threads, posts, directory structure, etc.)

There is a fourth option which I forgot to outline as it seems like a non-starter to me: That is, migrate to new software, either free or commercial, and not attempt a data migration. Dead simple but why…

Your Reactions To Those Options

Option 1: No one suggested that we should follow this path.

Option 2: Also didn’t really come up

Option 3: This is where most of the discussion centred. Specifically, about how the cost would be “shouldered” and what “privileges” should accompany a fee/donation (if any).

About Fees / Donations

After reading through all of the posts a few times (I hope I’m not making you weary again Keith), I created a list of those that either:
- specifically indicated they would donate
- indicated they would donate with a condition so-to-speak (like depending on how much)
- those that implied they would (but I wasn’t certain).

The list is below. I don’t believe I’ve missed anyone but could have added your Username in error because of my interpretation of your comments. If I did, I apologize.

NOTE: The list has been edited to add those that responded after the thread was started.

Rusty Olds
Stovbolt
K13
1Kool52
PG409
Tooltime
Shaune
JohnnyBgood
Bash and scratch
GFaRT
CDNflatlander
ratrig
58chev
Cword
Scotty
Old Ray
sqhd
56TBIRD
jvo
Taggart29
1950specialdeluxe
Fopar
wuga
Smoof
licensed to kill
Total=25

EDIT: Added to possible supporter list (+4)

Thank You All.

NOTE: There is no way of knowing if others will surface.

To Put Cost in Perspective Again

The best “deal” (versus a stripped down version) for a one-time license purchase is about $400 CAD. It varies depending on the US / CAD conversion rate. This includes the first 12 months of upgrades and support.
The ongoing yearly cost (for available upgrades and support) past the first 12 months is $120 CAD.

So, to move ahead, the spend would be either: approximately $400 or $520 which would extend support for 24 months (example July 2022).

Note: If not clear, feel free to ask for clarification. I am attempting to be as transparent as possible. Obviously, I would have to put this on a CC should we move forward.

About “Usergroups”

This is the terminology used by all the community forum software relating to those that “use” the forum. Currently, in this forum there are only three usergroup categories:

Administrators (me – who can do essentially anything)

Registered Users (can start threads in existing forum categories / reply to threads by others and delete their own posts)

Unregistered Users / Not Logged In (Guests/visitors and Registered Users not logged in) – can only view thread content and nothing else)

We’ll come back to Usergroups

Comments About Privileges

In dissecting the comments in the “A Crossroads” thread, there is a differing of opinion among a few people about the concept of privileges for those that donate. That is, ability to do things that non-supporters could not.

Many of the people that said they would donate didn’t comment on it but a handful did.

Specifically, some felt that someone who donated should have “Member” or “Supporter” privileges. A few others mentioned specifically that they didn’t care one way or the other OR definitively that there should not be privileges.

The example most frequently given is direct photo uploading. In other words, if you support through a donation you would have that “privilege”. If you did not, you would still have to link photos to an outside photo hosting site. This specific privilege is not uncommon in forums that have both supporters and those that choose not to. Just a bit of info – not attempting to steer the conversation one way or the other.

Coming back to usergroups, it is relatively straightforward to set up a “Supporter” usergroup that has access to defined functions not available to everyone.

In thinking about a fresh installation, I’ve brainstormed a number of functional areas that could be given or withheld. Such as:

Attachments (aka photos): As discussed above. Some forums won’t allow certain usergroups access to view the photos uploaded by others. At present, visitors here can see photos.

Media Gallery / Albums: Personal albums and contributions to a Forum media collection of images. Or even the ability to view the site media collection.

Classifieds: Access to or not. This has always been an area of controversy as there have been literally many hundreds who registered only to post one or more ads without any intention of contributing.

Private Messaging / aka Conversations: Many of the hundreds who registered to post an ad would subsequently email me looking for a way to PM.

Access To Specific Forums: That is, once again, access could be denied to certain areas.

Ads: While there are no ads now (not to be confused with sponsor ads), there will likely be in the future. Some forums will remove the ads for certain usergroups.

Badging / Titles: Progression of titles as we have here like junior poster, senior, etc. but accompanied by a badge that says “Supporter” for example.

Thank You Gifts: As mentioned elsewhere like stickers/decals that say Member or Supporter, etc.

There are various ways to slice this up but I’ve just listed these to give you an idea of what is possible when thinking about differentiating between usergroups (or not).

As I mentioned earlier, at least one person suggested that everyone (contributing or not) should have identical privileges. Even for me, this is a tough one as what would be the incentive to support the site financially other than to see it continue and flourish – which is an honourable enough reason. I should know (not being sarcastic).

I believe we need some agreement on this after some additional discussion. I would prefer not to mandate this as the support is potentially coming from you.

In Summary
While there are a lot of comments in the “A Crossroads” thread, I didn’t get an overwhelming sense that we were moving over the hurdles sequentially. What I’m saying is, there weren’t a lot responses that started by stating “Yes, I would like to see this Forum move forward” and “I am (or not) prepared to support it). Then, “let’s figure out how to do it”.

I am going on record by saying that I want this forum to continue and I will devote as much time as necessary to make it happen. I will continue to pay for the hosting fees and would keep a detailed accounting of any monies donated to this cause.

Having said that, we need to discuss all of the above again. If you have not commented yet, PLEASE take the time to offer an opinion or two. We’ll all thank you.

Happy Canada Day!

Now I'm "weary". Or "how I spent my Canada Day"

Last edited:
I guess my name should have been on the list, I just couldn't feel a direction in the comments. I think you have to make the decision and live with it. I also believe supporters have privilege. I don't do the ads, but I see it all the time, people join a group, post their ads and disappear. Maybe ads for non supporters should not be allowed. If there were enough supporters, the cost per person would be nominal. I have seen amounts like $20-$50 bandied about. A hundred supporters @ $5 would cover expenses for two years. Just do what you think best and live with the decision. Your sweat and money have paid for this site all along, just do it.

Warren

Warren, about:

I just couldn't feel a direction in the comments
That was more or less where I was going with:

While there are a lot of comments in the “A Crossroads” thread, I didn’t get an overwhelming sense that we were moving over the hurdles sequentially

p.s.
A hundred supporters
Highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Thank you for the summary. Does seem a little disheartening to have so many views and so few respondents.

Having looked over your list of potential "membership privileges" the only one I would be opposed to supporting would be paid photo hosting privileges . Given that seems to be the number 1 reason most seem to give for lack of participation I don't see how charging for that would do anything to alleviate that problem and encourage people to participate more. Personally that is the most important part of being on a board like this, being able to see and talk about what guys are doing and the easier it is to do that the better.

Any of the others seems secondary to encouraging participation and I would have no problem with any or all being for paying members only.

Thanks For your thoughts Ian. You are correct about photo attachments being a historical issue. Hopefully, we’ll get a lot more feedback.

Well, having read this thread three times, discussed it with my wife, and I have the following points;

Go for Option 3....Purchase software licence and transfer existing database.
I would contribute $50.00 the first year and say $30.00 annually. I am flexible here.

Give Supporter privileges and mark the posters username accordingly.
This privilege would give free easy photo posting. Other members could use photobucket or imgur. As to whether outsiders and non supporters can see the photos, maybe they shouldn't

Personal messages for supporters only......some flexibility here.maybe

Classifieds....members only. Have a special page for advising members of special deals you saw on craigslist etc.
I think I have hit the most important points.

Frank....I leave it to you to create the small details which I know you will

Cheers

Keith

Well I will say this out right, the costs that Frank mentioned of $520 even with just the 22 members names listed is under $25 and that from what I understand would carry the forum for basically 2 years?

That's an easy one for me "yes" (count me in) where and how do I send payment, and as far as what priviledges/features that carries with it, I will go with what ever the consenses is with the others in the group. Having said that I still believe as Frank mentioned it should entail some sort of incentive to be a paying supporter. But I understand also that this place wants to remain enclusive as always to encourage new membership. So where do we go from here? lol:D:D:D

Last edited:
All right, another post from my iPhone! Haha
Direct as I can be, a very similar response as Keith‘S.
Option 3 would be my suggestion, it’s the way I would do it.
A bunch of options to consider, without thinking of others or group-think I would lean towards:
-$25-$50 annual subscription cost.
-Paid Members Can direct post pictures (a certain size Criteria should be used)
-Only Members and paid members can ‘see’ the pictures
-Classified ads should be created by members and paid members
-Private Messaging has been held away so long now, that we operate ok without it, but allowing paid members to create/use would be very nice. Now could you set that so a Paid Member could send a PM to a non-paying member? Would be nice. Non-members have no access until signed up as a member (and then could not initiate PM’s only receive and reply? Keep the salesman from mucking that up.
-Ads, paid members get a toggle to see the ads or turn them off.
-Badging is cool, like to see who is supporting, skin in the game.
-Thank you stuff; also very nice...I am glad that we have had a great spot to hang out over this many years already... yes I would like to see it continue, and more.

Thank you for your hours and efforts...Judy too!! Support is everything.
I hope that made some sense.
Greg
CDNflatlander

Just a thought here but if new members cannot view photos, that could be a deterant. I think they should be able to see what they are missing, by not being a member. JMO

Hey Bash, not sure if that was directed for me to answer...my thought on that is that the person that is surfing through can see that there is a photo there...even a community, if you wish. If they were directed there on a “Google” search, just to learn-grab a quick answer to ....? Then they got their answer no sweat, and they move on as they were going to anyways.
I say that above, as I have done this many times, and yes I would like to have seen many of the pictures that I know are there, got my answer and moved out. The pictures are a “hook”, and I do find myself “squirellized” and off down a rabbit hole often when given the chance. The “free” pictures for all to see is not a big hang up for me, but for those that are truly interested in hanging around could sign up as a member, participate level 1. If they are right interested and want to share then they could as well...through the picture hosting sites (as we have set up currently)....then if he was like me, really like to add a picture with just a couple clicks and a drop, invest a tad for the full on option/membership package.
Great question...kinda the way I would do it if I was setting it up.
:)
Greg

Thanks Warren, Ian, Keith, Bash & Greg.

I'm doing some research at other auto forums and things are "all over the map":
- a few that are simply donate with no privileges but number of donations is quite small.
- Different $ levels but getting essentially the same privileges (??)
- non-supporters can post only "pre" resized images (that they've resized or used online resizing service) or hosting site vs. supporters being able to upload large files that are resized on the server during upload.
- X number of post before having access to classifieds
- Must post an intro prior to posting anywhere else (intros are few and far between)
- X of post before access to PMs
- Quotas on photos for non-supporters
- it goes on...

Last edited:
I would be more than happy to contribute financially to keep this site active.
I am ok with the decisions made by Frank, it’s his party.
I check in almost daily and try to keep up to date with the current stories.
The talents that people have and then take the time to post are impressive.
Thanks again,
Neil

Doing this from my phone in my hotel room. I think $20_$35 would be the sweet spot. Wishful thinking but maybe lower price would would encourage more supporters. I think direct photo posting for everyone would help spark more involvement and activity. There should be some kind of member benefit, but don't really care what it is, as long as I have it and others don't. Lol. I think new members should have either a time limit or # of posts before they can post classifieds.unless they pay..

Yes, I would like to see this Forum move forward, and I am indeed willing to support it, be that that with money or active participation....or both.
Option 3 seems a logical one. Membership fee that allows some privilege, to be determined maybe by the company that we buy into. My experience with not being able to see photos when surfing frustrates me on the garagejournal when I don’t log in.....so then I log in :D
I do think classifieds can be handled with membership and maybe some quantity of posts under your name. Might stop the folks from blowing through with no contributions.
The intro page seems odd to me, we sort of have a voluntary section here and I check in there but to make it mandatory....I dunno. Handy to have some pictures and an intro but that might get pushed down the line over time and if the person isn’t a big poster we may forget who that is. I find clicking their profile name takes me to their info and I may recall who it is then.
The lack of pm ability really doesn’t break the deal for me, I stated before that email is still an easy way to send private message. Make the member put an email in their profile page and if I want to private message him/her, I can check their profile for the email address. I attend other forums that have the pm function and for me it’s not a big selling point. What ever is easiest.
If a newbie comes along and finds the forum, how will he/she know if it’s going to meet their needs ? Will there be a free trial period before having to pay ? Maybe some free limited time to get them hooked before so they can decide to buy in.
We all check other forums, let’s not reinvent the system, let’s copy what we like from other forums, or avoid what we don’t like from those other forums. This one I have to think about....might be another post.

I’m going to need to read this a few times to really digest it all. But on the surface I agree with the thrust of what Keith says. Option 3 for me, happy to contribute, I do feel that the more that contribute the better and obviously the cheaper - which itself could encourage more supporters. I do think that those that contribute financially should have some sort of benefit over others, a reason to contribute. I think that photos should be visible to all, it is a good way of getting others interested. Anyway those are my initial thoughts.

I will accept whatever Frank decides, it is our train set but Frank is the Engine driver.

All right, another post from my iPhone! Haha
Direct as I can be, a very similar response as Keith‘S.
Option 3 would be my suggestion, it’s the way I would do it.
A bunch of options to consider, without thinking of others or group-think I would lean towards:
-$25-$50 annual subscription cost.
-Paid Members Can direct post pictures (a certain size Criteria should be used)
-Only Members and paid members can ‘see’ the pictures
-Classified ads should be created by members and paid members
-Private Messaging has been held away so long now, that we operate ok without it, but allowing paid members to create/use would be very nice. Now could you set that so a Paid Member could send a PM to a non-paying member? Would be nice. Non-members have no access until signed up as a member (and then could not initiate PM’s only receive and reply? Keep the salesman from mucking that up.
-Ads, paid members get a toggle to see the ads or turn them off.
-Badging is cool, like to see who is supporting, skin in the game.
-Thank you stuff; also very nice...I am glad that we have had a great spot to hang out over this many years already... yes I would like to see it continue, and more.

Thank you for your hours and efforts...Judy too!! Support is everything.
I hope that made some sense.
Greg
CDNflatlander

This pretty much sums up my views! :)
Thanks Greg

Lots of words, but almost a consensus. The one thing I totally disagree with is posting your email address in your profile. We already have enough problems with spammers, if they have ready access to our email address, that could be disastrous. That is why PMs work, they hide the email nicely. I like an introduction, with at least an insight into general interest, what cars you work on and a general idea where you are located. These can be real helpful when we are looking for assistance such as checking out an advertised vehicle, transporting parts from one area to another or getting together when travelling through a different area other then where you live.
Thanks Frank
Warren

Warren / shaune, email addresses would never be shown.

p.s. Warren, yes a lot of words and I am guilty of being a perpetrator but I feel I have to lead with lots of information. :D

Last edited:
Just a thought here but if new members cannot view photos, that could be a deterant. I think they should be able to see what they are missing, by not being a member. JMO

When I was on the big forum to the south many years ago, if not logged in, but as a guest, one could not see any pictures.

Must log-in as a user to see photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.