Chroming Shops

ChopTop79

I've searched on this site and did not find anything recent, and Google was not a whole lot of help either.

What are my options for re-chroming in Canada. I've heard of Cambridge Chrome and I've sent them an email today. Is there any reviews on the plating house of Canada? I cannot seem to get their email to work. My bumpers are straight, and I'm thinking on getting both bumpers, and my headlight bezels chromed. The rest of the trim I'll buy new and see how long they last. I would prefer to keep the chroming within Canada if possible.

Thank you,

I saw that post and figured it was going no where fast with the "wetbacks" comments. I will drop Midway a line to see what they say. There was no mention of the plating house in that thread. Has anyone dealt with them?

Midway

I took two '40 Ford bumpers to Midway to have them plated. The guy tore a strip off of me because I had welded up the holes and welded studs on the back side. I ended up buying stainless from Drake.
I thought I heard that Midway had closed up.
There is also SUPERIOR METAL FINISHING in London but they don't do bumpers.
They are very reasonable but you can't be in a hurry for anything.
I also bought bumpers from Bumper Boys for a '60's car.
I know alot of people don't like them but I went to Detroit Swap and checked what they had for my car. I picked out the best they had with them.I took the old cores with me.
I think I walked away with two for about $500 US
Good luck
Sandy

As I understand it, there may have been some changes in management at the Plating House. If anyone else has better information, please chime in, because I'm not 100% sure about this. A friend of mine had some work done there recently, and wasn't satisfied with it. He said that next time, he would go to Cambridge. My understanding is that Cambridge does good work, although its not cheap (but what plating is cheap these days?). Don't take my word though, do some more research and get some more information first.

Plating House quoted me $600 for each bumper, and $100 each for the headlight bezels. I'll definitely shop around, but I always start with word of mouth. A friend of the family used Cambridge and his bumpers look amazing.

Zenith Plating in Burnside Industrial Park, Dartmouth NS

Last edited:
I've been told that a lot of people have not been happy with the chrome out of Zenith. Have you done any work through them?

I've had some pieces done ... they turned out well.

Bulletnose and headlight bezels.

Headlight & Taillight bezels.

Also has my side pipes & collectors done.
( they need polishing in this photo )

Do you have a contact email for these guys? Calling from up here in Iqaluit is unreliable and often gets cut off.

Thank you,

Cambridge is around 1900 for the two bumpers and the headlight bezels. This is just getting a little crazy for prices. I'll have to see what Zenith has for a price.

Zenith (now Maritime Chrome) can no longer do bumpers over 4 ft long looks like I'm going to be into some big money to get these done.

Chrome

You can try Alberta plating in Medicine Hat, I use them for all my chroming excellent work. Gary

I used Alberta Plating in Calgary.

Did my F100 bumpers for $450 each back in 2011.

Lots of shops ship stuff for them to chrome. Shipping might be a tad expensive depending upon weight.

I have had stuff done at cambridge including aluminium,,High quality,High prices,,you get what you pay for,,just sayin...

We spent some time trying to find a plating outfit in the lower mainland area of BC. All we want done is a small flying lady hood ornament off the '33 Plymouth. It's about 4" long and maybe 2" high. But it does have a little detail, and this apparently affects the cost.
Anyway, we went to shop A, which will remain unnamed for now, and were quoted $300, and we would get it back in early January. His attitude was less than exemplary.
Called another outfit in the Fraser valley, shop B, and over the phone got a price of $275 to $375. Hmmmm, the original item cost $130...but it does need re-chroming.
On to shop C, in Burnaby. Got an over the phone price of "about $150" so we went to see them. Got greeted by an older gentleman who asked us if we were into cars. Uh huh. Come on back here and I'll show you what we are doing says he.
He proceeded to give us the tour of the whole operation, and hundreds of items that they had just done. One of which was a grille shell out of a 30 something car. He said it was all pitted when it came in, but you'd never know it now. It was spectacular. He had gold plated items and on and on. Plus the place was really tidy.
Yes, they can do bumpers.
If the flying lady comes out well - just over 1 week delivery by the way - I'll pass along the name and contact info. With a pic of the hood ornament of course!

We spent some time trying to find a plating outfit in the lower mainland area of BC. All we want done is a small flying lady hood ornament off the '33 Plymouth. It's about 4" long and maybe 2" high. But it does have a little detail, and this apparently affects the cost.
Anyway, we went to shop A, which will remain unnamed for now, and were quoted $300, and we would get it back in early January. His attitude was less than exemplary.
Called another outfit in the Fraser valley, shop B, and over the phone got a price of $275 to $375. Hmmmm, the original item cost $130...but it does need re-chroming.
On to shop C, in Burnaby. Got an over the phone price of "about $150" so we went to see them. Got greeted by an older gentleman who asked us if we were into cars. Uh huh. Come on back here and I'll show you what we are doing says he.
He proceeded to give us the tour of the whole operation, and hundreds of items that they had just done. One of which was a grille shell out of a 30 something car. He said it was all pitted when it came in, but you'd never know it now. It was spectacular. He had gold plated items and on and on. Plus the place was really tidy.
Yes, they can do bumpers.
If the flying lady comes out well - just over 1 week delivery by the way - I'll pass along the name and contact info. With a pic of the hood ornament of course!

I didn't realize there were still plating shops in the lower Vancouver mainland.

I thought they all had had closed up.

Good to know as I have a few small pitted parts (most likely pot-metal) that need some tender loving care.
Sounds like he might be able to do some repairs too.

If the flying lady turns out well, keep us in the da loop SVP.

That sounds good Coco. There was a shop in Mission that did pot metal and had reasonable rates but that was about 13 or 14 years ago. They did some of the potmetal on my 64 Polara 500 and I was happy with the cost/quality. Not sure they are still there though. It's a dying industry for sure.

Sheldon

Definitely interested to see how things work out for you coco. I still need some chroming done and am not sure where to go as my last experience with Alberta Plating was less than stellar. we need to keep this on the down low though because if this guy is good an reasonably priced he will be so inundated with work his turn around will become ridiculous.;)

Last edited:
That sounds good Coco. There was a shop in Mission that did pot metal and had reasonable rates but that was about 13 or 14 years ago. They did some of the potmetal on my 64 Polara 500 and I was happy with the cost/quality. Not sure they are still there though. It's a dying industry for sure.

Sheldon

Shop "B" is out inMission. It sounds like they have been in business for awhile.

Most of the chrome shops seem to do industrial hard chrome plating, which is nothing like the bright chrome we seek for our small bits and pieces.