Bonneville 2024

shaune

Supporting Member
Looking for advice from those who have been, this coming summer is the summer I am planning on attending.
First questions are accommodations.
Tonight there are only 2 hotels not booked for 2024 speed week, I see a KOA is in Wendover, that could be a possibility. The bend in the road isn’t an option as I am not off grid capable and this pilgrim needs to shower.
Tell me what I need oh wise ones. How many days is reasonable to hang out there ? Is the World of Speed a better one to attend in early September the Speed Week ?
Plan is to drive the 65 Ford Truck there with a matching vintage cap, observation deck on the roof of the cap. Bicycles, big hats and tight fitting underwar.

The KOA is basic but has a pool which is usually cooler than the air. But no shade. KOA has showers. Suggest arrive Saturday we usually stayed about four days not till the end of the week. You need to book a room fairly soon. I think august is the best meet. Huge diversity of race vehicles. Count is near 500. The bend in the road has chemical toilets. the huge truck stop on the freeway as you turn off to the salt has showers.

We have stayed at both the KOA as well as the ‘bend. Either is “roughing it”…the Influx of people on the town is hard to keep up with. A good ‘Canadian’ attitude will go a long way.
One year we stayed at the campground in Wendover, that was too far out-away to feel you were apart of the entire event. It was a very nice set up though.
We went with 3 kids, they loved it too, 4 days was plenty for that year!
9am on January 1st you need to be booking space or rooms.
The next time my wife and I go, I would stay at the bend again. 3 days at the event…with an open schedule to stay longer if we felt like it.
A must attend event in my opinion. Enjoy!

No aircraft to look after this year?
I am hoping not. I am thinking by early summer everyday will be a Saturday for me.
All good replies thank you. So maybe 4 days will be enough. Will look tonight on the couple hotels that were available compared to the KOA.

Everything is booked out in the vicinity except The super 8 and The Knights Inn both at about $260/day. The Knights Inn is closer to the street action which is where you want to be in the evening and during the day if it rains. Don't worry too much about the condition of the accommodations because every thing is crappy.
Warren

We didn't have an RV so stayed in the Nugget. The first year I went the Nugget was full so got into the Montego Bay across the street. It used to be that they didn't take reservations for speed week until Feb or March. But I would start trying now and see what they say. The Nugget has the car show every night, but the food there is lousy. If we were having a meal we would go across to the Montego Bay. The Montego Bay is the better hotel, whereas the Nugget is more 2-3 stars. The A/C at the Nugget was poor. The room rates are super high during speed week, but they go down a bit by Tuesday and on. The best place for food is the Slat Flats Cafe which is down behind the Nugget now (used to be out at the truck stop). It's Mexican food and very reasonable and the apple juice tastes just like beer. The room rates are super high during speed week, but they go down a bit by Tuesday and on.
Take a canopy tent and use big long lag screws to anchor it to the salt. Also handy to have a pit bike, mini bike, scooter for cruising the pits etc. as the pits are 2-3 miles long. I think Speed Week is the best event to go too, as it has the biggest field of entries and the best chance for dry salt.
117738989_3515880691755579_6116359562561132378_n.jpg

Good to know.
It is discouraging to pay 4 star prices for 2 star living but ain’t no diva, my star tolerance can be pretty low. Have several cool vintage bicycles I can pick from too to ride around.

Good to know.
It is discouraging to pay 4 star prices for 2 star living but ain’t no diva, my star tolerance can be pretty low. Have several cool vintage bicycles I can pick from too to ride around.
The pedals take the worst beating from the salt, it packs onto your shoes when you walk around and then gets forced into the pedals. If your vintage bike have nice pedals swap those for some throw-aways.

Good to know.
Ok..bikes have wheels and are people powered so I think there would be several of us here that would like to see some pictures of your bikes. Can you post a few pictures? Thanks.

I don’t want to steal Shaune’s thunder but here is 1 of mine.
It is an EV Global electric assist bike.
EV Global was started by Lee Iacocca in 1999.
They built a few different models.
It had a 36 volt lead acid battery setup, I replaced it with a Lithium pack.
It has a German (Heiinzmann) built motor on it. It is limited to 15 mph.
It is a very well built bike, my wife claimed it and loves it.

Attachments

• IMG_3622.jpeg
    IMG_3622.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3623.jpeg
    IMG_3623.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 17
I have several older bicycles, I guess we could start a different thread on just bicycles. These 2 cruisers are probably the ones I take. I have several vintage banana seat type bikes and 2 unique kick bikes but my prize is this Donny Osmomd swing bike. Bought it for $50, tripled my money when I sold it. Then when I bought it back I tripled his money. There was one at Red Deer auction this summer that went for over $1500. I bailed at $500.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpeg
    IMG_0175.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 28
  • CEEF87F1-5A5C-4F37-8FD3-A23273E16467.jpeg
    CEEF87F1-5A5C-4F37-8FD3-A23273E16467.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0576.jpeg
    IMG_0576.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0179.jpeg
    IMG_0179.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 31
I went down there with my Dyno Von Franco in 2002
2002-VonFranco.jpg

then in 2003 and 4 I took my Dyno Deuce
2003-Deuce.JPG

In 2005 I added a 2 stroke to an older Ashtown Hardware (CCM) bike (always hated the stink and vibration of that modification), but it made the long haul from the pit to the starting line easier.
2005-Ashtown.JPG

Ha..those are great..thanks guys for posting…might look into getting a bike for a fun project..👍

Love the springer front end….and they are motorized…nice..cause im getting lazy in my old age.