57 Ranchero build

The bumper is held in place by two good spot welds, but I think it's right where it's going to live. The only thing I need to change is the outside bottom corner needs to be tucked in to the quarter panel. It looks like it's bent out at the bottom leading edge the way it is now.

The part here that I find comical is the 57 Ford was supposed to be the new generation of lower wider cars, but I have to narrow the 56 Chev bumper 3 inches for the "peaks" below the taillight line up properly.

The new sheet metal piece below the taillight is only a rough representation of what the finished piece will look like. I will make a new piece for there that will replace all the crappy rough sheet metal below the taillight.

Attachments

• IMG_5699.jpeg
    IMG_5699.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5700.jpeg
    IMG_5700.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5701.jpeg
    IMG_5701.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 15
I had to mock this up so I could see if it was just a pipe dream or would it really work? I'm kind of liking the way the new piece mimics the bumper shape, then rolls around the corner with the masking tape.

I'm itching to make that piece now, but I'm still knee deep in a bathroom renovation for the wife. I'm doing this on the sly.

The filler piece between the bumper and the tailgate is the original Ranchero lower valance.

I'll have to modify it slightly but it will still work just fine.

Now that I've posted an update, I might just feel motivated enough to keep going now that the truck is mostly done.

Forgot to state that the Ranchero bumperettes will be reshaped slightly on the inner edge that meets the bumper face, and will be bolted in place over the spot where the new welds will be. They almost fit the shape of the Chev bumper, pretty close fit. I'll post a pic later on that.

IMG_5702.jpeg
IMG_5704.jpeg
IMG_5705.jpeg
IMG_5706.jpeg

Great work John. Thanks for the updates. Get back in that bathroom……..

I just went back and started from the beginning. Some of the pictures are gone now but you still get the idea from the dialogue. Im amazed at the amount and quality of workmanship. I think we all have ideas as to how we would do things but lack the skills to carry it out . Very enjoyable to see it being accomplished from just a vision . Excellent... carry on..