56chevtrk build thread

Well I got tired of working on the brakes that still don't work right. I have the brake lines disconnected and the M/C plugged and I'm going to start over with my trouble-shooting.

But yesterday and today I decided to go for some little victories!

I know have the horns working!!! I had bad grounds on painted frame and horns and little spring in steering column on wrong side of thing-a-ma-jig. Works great now.

Also installed rear-view mirror on inside of windshield. I am not going to put door mirrors on until I get the wet sanding completed.

Two little victories are good.

when working on a rod any step forward is a victory...and damn it does fell good...
Also, when you are sharing your "journey" in a "build thread" it can help one stay motivated if there are others following along. You don't feel so "alone" with your project and can help you move forward knowing that there are people waiting/wanting to see what you do next.

Nice project!
Been there back in the 90’s. Built a 56 from multiple parts.
Some questions on your brakes.
What pedal did you use?
what proportioning valve is used?
What’s the m/c bore size?
what’s your pedal ratio?

Also, when you are sharing your "journey" in a "build thread" it can help one stay motivated if there are others following along. You don't feel so "alone" with your project and can help you move forward knowing that there are people waiting/wanting to see what you do next.
You are so right.

Nice project!
Been there back in the 90’s. Built a 56 from multiple parts.
Some questions on your brakes.
What pedal did you use?
what proportioning valve is used?
What’s the m/c bore size?
what’s your pedal ratio?

The pedal and pedal assembly I have used came as a kit designed to be used with the 55-59 Chev truck. Not sure of the ratio! It reinforces the firewall and ties into the dash and steering wheel support.

The proportioning valve I used was a new one mated to the 1980 Chev frame and OEM brake system. So stock 1980 disc front/drum rear proportioning valve.

The M/C bore size I have installed right now is 1 inch.

Not too sure of the pedal ratio because as said it came as a kit. I know it does not have two holes in order to change the ratio.

In my continuing research I have discovered that - most times at least - the 1980 Chev C10 stock M/C had a larger bore size - something like 1.125" or 1 1/8."

So I have been directed and am now thinking maybe the 1" M/C bore size is not pushing enough volume of fluid to properly work front callipers. Basically runs out of fluid before front callipers are fully engaged. I have found a replacement M/C with larger bore size that will bolt right up to my 8" dual power booster. This new M/C as well as the older one are actually the "corvette style" and are from a late 60'6 early 70's corvette - that is also disc front/drum rear. I have a new M/C with larger bore on its way.

Barry

By the way in order to keep the little victories coming I completed my "air box" in the front passenger side wheel well. After paint dries over night I can put my air filter back on and bolt the cover of the air box back in. I figured I needed something to keep water and road spray off of my air filter.

By the way in order to keep the little victories coming I completed my "air box" in the front passenger side wheel well. After paint dries over night I can put my air filter back on and bolt the cover of the air box back in. I figured I needed something to keep water and road spray off of my air filter.
Im interested in seeing what you did . do you have pics? Im trying to wrap my head around building twin air boxes for my project . I know it should be simple ,but of course I am over thinking it.

I will see what I have. I may be able to take a couple more to show you. I initially wanted 2 air intakes and cut holes in my core support to do so.

Unfortunately once I put my radiator and upper rad hose in place it pretty much nixed that idea. No room.

I have a busy morning tomorrow but after I will see what I have and as said maybe take a couple more pictures to show you what I have done.

Barry

I had the 80’s master, booster and prop valve.
Had to drill a new hole in the pedal to get my ratio closer to 4.5 to 1.
That helped my braking a bunch.

I had the 80’s master, booster and prop valve.
Had to drill a new hole in the pedal to get my ratio closer to 4.5 to 1.
That helped my braking a bunch.

This is something I am going to look a little more in. As said it seems to be set on the pedal assembly that I have. That is there are no extra holes. But as you said I could drill one if needed. That don't cost me anything!

Thanks for you input.

Barry

Im interested in seeing what you did . do you have pics? Im trying to wrap my head around building twin air boxes for my project . I know it should be simple ,but of course I am over thinking it.

This a hard thing to photograph but I have tried.

You can see the air tube as it leaves the throttle body and heads down and through the inner fender. Then I have cut a round hole in the core support where the air filter sits. I am just finishing up a box that covers the air filter and protects it from water and road debris, etc...

You can actually see part of the air box that bolts to the inner fender. I also have another piece fabricated that bolts up to the one in the picture that covers the air filter and is exposed to outside air through the core support.

More about function that than fancy.

Hope you can tell what I am talking about.

IMG_1258.JPG
IMG_1259.JPG
IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1261.JPG

Well today was a big day!

The wife and I pulled the 56 out of the centre shop and out into the world.

Then we went for a drive into the field and down by the barn to the highway then back to the field and by the barn...you get the picture!

The brakes are still not totally right but I can slow it down and come to a stop. Surely not highway worthy but its off to my mechanic next week I hope to get a few things right and an inspection.

The E Trac system is now secured properly in the trailer so I should be good to load it up.

IMG_1294.JPG

Ya I'm pretty pleased with it. The style line on the door and fender on this side is a bit out but we have to adjust that door still some.

I don't think we will be able to line it up 100% but I will have to live with it - for now anyway. The other side is much better for some reason.