56chevtrk build thread

Wow that truck is straight! Looking forward to more progress updates. Thanks

Looks like some of my photos have disappeared!
This time it looks like one of the missing photos showed up but 2 others did not!!! The 2 that did not show up this time are the ones of the lower dash extensions. Are other people seeing them?

Wow that truck is straight! Looking forward to more progress updates. Thanks
Yes it really was not in bad shape at all. John is one of the big reasons that it ended up so straight looking. He spent some time on every major body panel and it was well worth it.

This time it looks like one of the missing photos showed up but 2 others did not!!! The 2 that did not show up this time are the ones of the lower dash extensions. Are other people seeing them?
Well now they are back! I don't know what is going on!

Nice work on your part, I think we all like to 'try' new stuff but it's nice to have guys that been there done that to fall back on. I sure like the 'clean' look of your truck! Keep it coming...

Thanks
Nice work on your part, I think we all like to 'try' new stuff but it's nice to have guys that been there done that to fall back on. I sure like the 'clean' look of your truck! Keep it coming...
Thanks very much for your kind words.

Just reading back on your thread here, and I have to say about your comment on your fender repair not being up to par, that inner patch on the top of the fender would be tricky for anyone I think, it’s short with tight compound curves, don’t cut yourself/work short. All part of learning just getting in there and doing it, and an added bonus with the help from John.

John's finishing metal work took it to a whole new level in my opinion. I knew I had a decent body to start with and of course my relationship with the truck is very important. But I could have been happy with slapping any fenders on, painting with a brush and roller as I have done in the past when living in the mountains in BC and just driving it. 50 footers... After a while I drove them multi-coloured.

After John's involvement I started to see more potential for a really nice build, maybe not showroom because I will be driving it as often as possible - but in many respects close. The door gaps he obtained were way nicer than several 55-59 trucks I saw at Barret-Jackson last time I was there. I mean by a long shot!

I actually had to promise my wife, especially now that I am not working, with the cash flow that that brought into the picture, that I will not build another to this level. Just the paint job cost me more than most of my vehicles I have had in my life.

But oh its going to be so so much fun driving!!!

Thank you so much for your kind words. I did not have to make those angles/curves. I started using some new Taiwan eyebrow pieces that I was not happy with at all and actually found another old fender that was rusted to crap everywhere but where I needed. If memory serves I welded in 4 pieces on top of that fender. Somebody must have dropped something very heavy and sharp because the large dent was - well large!

I think John said mostly that I got places a little thin. need to know when to quit.

Heres a few photos of early body on frame mock-ups.

Sorry for bouncing around a bit but every now and then I find some more pictures on my phone or laptop or somewhere. So want to add a few of them. I hope it makes some sort of sense!

So with the cab sitting on the frame and both front and rear cab mounts clamped in place I started fabricating the front core support. It helped to properly place it with the grille, hood and inner fenders bolted in place. Of course carefully watching the distributor/firewall. At this point I had not made an engine choice and my Ramjet 350 distributor was just a bit bigger than the late 50's 283 used in frame to mock this all up.

In the first 3 photos you can see this early mock up stage. Nothing yet welded.

Then the front core support with if you look carefully square body bumper mounts used to hold the rad support upright.

The final photo here shows the front end with cold air induction holes cut. I am only using the right one as it was nearly impossible to run the other side up with power steering, alternator and stuff on that side. You can also see the AC condenser and tranny cooler mounted in about their final resting places. The trans cooler was the perfect width to fit behind the centre section of the 56 grille after I shaved some of the back of the grille off. Fits like it belongs there.

You can also see that I have cut the inner fenders up to accommodate the upper A frames occupying that space now.

This is also very early in my shops life as well. Here you can see the inside of the 1949 barn that my shop is now built inside of.

P4200112.JPG
P4200111.JPG
P4200109.JPG
P3030006.JPG
IMG_1268.JPG

And here's some progress being made on the frame. 20 gal aluminum fuel tan from No Limit with in tank pump for the Ramjet, trany cooler and AC condenser sitting in their final locations with front mounts and cushions installed.

As well as the HD all brass cross flow radiator from US Radiator in California. Road trip from my little place in Arizona.

Then dual Spall 12" fans in their future final resting place. They also supplied the aluminum fan shroud to my specifications. I still have some rubber flaps to cut in if I so need them. Time will tell!

Its amazing all that real estate between the fans and the water pump got all used up.

P4102189.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG

Last edited:
When I retired my business partner gave me a little bit of "Goodwill" money and I decided it would go to my new GM Performance Ramjet 350, rebuilt and upgraded TH700 R-4 and rebuilt True Trac 3.42 post differential. Happy retirement to me...

Of course the engine came black and that would not fit the theme of my build so Chevy Orange it was with Vintage Air Serpentine belt & accessory system and ceramic Doug Thorley Tri Y headers.

Fun start to the driveline.

Strange some of these pictures are different sizes. Must be from mixture of phone and camera photos.

IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0278.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG
IMG_0279.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG

Now we have not only the cab heading off to Coaldale body shop but the cab in the body shop and the cab arrived back at home. Colour chosen was in the same ball park as original but I think is mixture of Teal and Seafoam Green.

IMG_0307.JPG
56046792362__207A0566-F714-4FA0-A027-3ECAF671D013.jpeg
56046790545__D8C8394F-61FC-4B10-A4F7-5EAB97EA5EE3.jpeg
56046795427__2DC8D1A7-121A-44E8-8FFF-959F68BC30AA.jpeg
IMG_0438.JPG

And now the fun really begins.

Engine, tranny, differential, fuel tank, cross-over exhaust, VA front runner system to mention a few things now installed in frame. This as I mentioned is a shortened 80 C10 frame so these parts went in - after mock up(s) - was very straight forward.

Exhaust is hand made from 2 1/2 mandrill bend aluminized pipe with Magna flow mufflers. So far no tail pipes and at this point am not sure what I am going to do yet - if anything. I learned a bit of exhaust work working at Cardinal Muffler in Lethbridge with the Switzer brothers many decades ago. Never was near as good as those boys but this was quit straightforward. Unfortunately the Doug Thorley headers did not both point in exactly the same direction so exhaust is not perfect but it sounds really good!!!

IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG

IMPRESSIVE WORK! Great that you have documented the whole process step by step.

Here is the next step where I mounted the cab on the painted frame getting ready to start hooking things up.

IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG