55 IH Cabover build

hoitink

Well I've decided to start my cab over seeing as I've collected a few parts to get the ball rolling. So lets get the ball rolling.

This is how everything started the wife and I where coming back from the Road Rocket Rumble this year, and spotted this gem around Detroit lakes.

3.jpg

Fast forward a little and I found 1978 Cadillac Eldorado FWD and striped er down which didn't put up to much of a fight.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Next was the IH and again went apart quite nicely.

4.jpg

Next was sliding the Caddy under it's new home.

6.jpg

5.jpg

Fit was pretty good so fare I have since moved the cab a little more forward and squared er up in the fenders better.

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

Little scaffolding for the rear mounts

9.jpg

Up on the slate will be to move the pass body mount over to clear the alternator and make the valve cover accessible in case I have to do some work to the motor on that side.

11.jpg

Pass side is fine with lots of room

12.jpg

Front Rad cradle has lots of room with the stock rad and A/C condenser.

13.jpg

That's it for now have to make up a brake pedal assembly and do up the steering column yet.

The plan for the truck will be to add a sleeper and put a flatbed on the back and make a hauler our of it. That's why I chose the FWD so I can have a pretty low deck on the truck.

....WOW! Looks just great so far and well thought out beforehand. I love unusual builds -good for you...

That's why I chose the FWD so I can have a pretty low deck on the truck.

With front wheel drive you can design the rear frame work like a car hauling trailer which puts the deck right close to the ground..
Here's what I mean.
street-rods-by-denny-tow-truck-unladen-500x375.jpg

Last edited:
street-rods-by-denny-tow-truck-unladen-500x375.jpg
[/QUOTE]

There is a '48-'53 Chevy that looks like this on EBAY for $7,500 if someone is looking for a good start.

You're cab over looks good and the running gear fits the width, etc. perfectly.

This one looks pretty interesting. Good progress so far. I don't think you'll have any problem with torque for towing with the Caddy engine. Looking forward to the updates.:D

Great project, I saw a 56 Ford COE with a similar set up and great enclosed area for a race car, a shame we didn't have either of those cars down here it would make a lot of sence to build a unit like you are doing. Thanks for showing us what you are up to.

hoitink:D I really like the idea of a cab over and flatbed and sleeper idea . Now I must have missed something here but I am guessing you removed the complete drive line including chassis from the 78 Caddy . You then put the cab over body on that chassis and no doubt beefed the chassis up to take all the extra weight that you plan to put on those small tires and rims . I'm guessing about an extra 7000 lbs. I guess what I'm getting to is will the original rear axle designed to hold a max of 1500 lbs support that weight or will you be cutting out the complete rear of the caddy frame and put the original trucks rear end and frame assembly. At the same time will the original Caddy front end suspension and tires support that cab over plus the overall weight and anticipated vehicle you plan to carry on the back my guess somewhere in the area of 10,000 to 12,000 lbs. which is about 3times what the Caddy's suspension was designed for . :eek:Now I'm just guessing :cool:

The IH cab isn't very heavy at all little heavier than a stock pickup cab but I wouldn't say by much. As for the back yes I'll be cutting off the back of the frame and grafting a trailer rear on to the frame. ( at least that's the plan so far, may scratch build yet not sure.) The front shouldn't have a problem as in the early 70's they used these front ends "Cadillac/Tornado" on campers with twin axles in the rear.
I don't think the setup will be all that heavy though I'll guess I'll be under 6000lb's when the truck is done.

hoitink:D I really like the idea of a cab over and flatbed and sleeper idea . Now I must have missed something here but I am guessing you removed the complete drive line including chassis from the 78 Caddy . You then put the cab over body on that chassis and no doubt beefed the chassis up to take all the extra weight that you plan to put on those small tires and rims . I'm guessing about an extra 7000 lbs. I guess what I'm getting to is will the original rear axle designed to hold a max of 1500 lbs support that weight or will you be cutting out the complete rear of the caddy frame and put the original trucks rear end and frame assembly. At the same time will the original Caddy front end suspension and tires support that cab over plus the overall weight and anticipated vehicle you plan to carry on the back my guess somewhere in the area of 10,000 to 12,000 lbs. which is about 3times what the Caddy's suspension was designed for . :eek:Now I'm just guessing :cool:

Got some work done this weekend while I wait for some steering parts to come in.

Got my brake booster mounted and hooked up, still will have to make a brace inside yet.

15.jpg

Also got my fuel tank mounted still have to hook up the plumbing.

16.jpg

17.jpg

Also started on the floor till I ran outta tin, and got my steering column mounted.

18.jpg

19.jpg

I also found a stock style steel wheel and mounted the tire looks much better than the fwd ones.

20.jpg

I'd be really carefull about changing the offsets of the wheels on FWD vehicle ,, The original wheels are built to centre the load on the axle stub shafts and the bearing ,, when you change the offset of the wheel and move it outwards the steering geometry is changed and the vehicle will dart around or wander , especially under acceleration, and also the load on the bearings is wrong and will eventually cause a failure. I would do some research into changing the front wheels ..

Yeah prob not going to run these wheels as I just through them on and never checked the offset. It's a little much on the offset 3" haha. Might make a set yet with 1" offset.

I'd be really carefull about changing the offsets of the wheels on FWD vehicle ,, The original wheels are built to centre the load on the axle stub shafts and the bearing ,, when you change the offset of the wheel and move it outwards the steering geometry is changed and the vehicle will dart around or wander , especially under acceleration, and also the load on the bearings is wrong and will eventually cause a failure. I would do some research into changing the front wheels ..

So got some more done on the IH.

Got a shifter linkage working may still need a little adjustment but seems to work.

21.jpg

22.jpg

Also made some seat brackets for the seats.

23.jpg

24.jpg

Got my floor going. "I really have to find my camera as this cell phone junk really sucks"

25.jpg

26.jpg

Yesterday got my steering joints and got started on it last night. Their from a Isuzu Rodeo they reverse the steering so by using 2 of them I'll correct my steering.

27.jpg

Mocked up

28.jpg

Made it to bolt up in case I ever have to remove the fan shroud.

29.jpg

Hopefully I can get the other half of the steering done tonight.