41 Willys Pickup

I wanted something different for wheels on this truck so I came across a set that a friend (Bobby H) had and liked the look of them. We didn't know what they were off of but near as I have been able to determine is they are off of a 36 Chev.. What threw me though is that they have a 5 on 4 1/2 inch bolt pattern. I thought Chev had six hole wheels till the 50's? But everything and one that says anything says they are Chevy so that's ok by me. Anyway this is what I went with.. oh and chrome spider caps. I still am debating a pin stripe on the rim or if I could find a thin 17" chrome ring?

eRtNIeSl.jpg

RfLgw3yl.jpg

thanks for peekin in..

I would think with that bolt pattern they are Hudson Terraplane Mid 30s to 40 ? ..... Dam that thing is nice .....

Thanks Slim.. That's what I thought to as I have a pair on my 36 Terraplane PU but all the Hudson/Terra I compared them to were different, same bolt pattern but different waffle. I even considered that they might have been an aftermarket artillery wheel but found no matches either. Then a guy was selling a set online and said he took them off his 36 Chev. So how could I argue with that? These were 17 x 3 1/4 so I re-belled the back ones to 7 inches, the fronts I left.

eUHOpeol.jpg

uDCBTWel.jpg

As I have mentioned even the doors were in pretty nice shape, the bottoms were not even rusted out.
Mcii5Tll.jpg

I thought I would try a new outfit in town that did water media blasting.. in their enthusiasm they kinda made a bit of a mess of my really nice doors. I had to spray fill and block them out. There is an area inside the door that has a big round patch of sound deadener and unfortunately for me when they were done with the door that round pattern had transferred to the outer skin.
1jOmrvil.jpg

I decided to paint this truck green so I went with a tinted primer.
B8gz6Zll.jpg

7xrTnDsl.jpg

AVVsETGl.jpg

rds6pUWl.jpg

That's it for now... thanks for peekin in.. :)

I was wondering how 'safe' that type of blasting was, I know I made myself some extra work once not being careful enough with traditional blasting:mad:

I was wondering how 'safe' that type of blasting was, I know I made myself some extra work once not being careful enough with traditional blasting:mad:

Relic I think it's like any type of blasting the person doing it really needs to know what they are doing otherwise damage is the result. I think that if the operator is experienced then the water media can be a safe procedure, unfortunately these guys were new at it and didn't have a clue.

Thanks Alcan

More progress. I wanted the box to be painted completely so I made it all bolt together with stainless button heads, stake pockets and all. As it is not likely to be hauling much of anything I opted for a bolted in tailgate. It is basically the little ladies grocery getter so no need for the tailgate to open anyway really.

pMmmj9Tl.jpg

The louvers, frenched plate and tail light sockets. The previous owner had this tail gate panel made up and he had an uncle who worked for an industrial machine shop so they stamped the same style louver you would see on a mobile welder, but I liked them (they were different) so I kept them.
rEmroV7l.jpg

As I mentioned the chassis was pretty much done by the previous owner but I needed to do a few alterations for the 700R and wanted to get the truck lower to the ground. I modified the trans mount and moved the rear spring mounts from under the frame rail to through it. Also had to change engine and rear shock mounts, then build a fuel tank.
uMTgZzP.jpg

Z8tStqF.jpg

Then I put 2" drop spindles on the front.
KsTVKZ2.jpg

When I moved the shackle mounts from under the frame I found it created a clearance issue to my roll pan. So I pounded a relief into it lol.
Hsaq1Yol.jpg

That's it for now... thanks for peekin in.. :)

For those who may be interested.

I don't know what to say I have a thing for old hot rods with checkered firewalls so seems I always do my firewalls up with them.
8ecfeqql.jpg

RkYhewGl.jpg

This is the green I picked, what do you think?
jqWu5tll.jpg

Inside edges painted
Hr308dIl.jpg

V3TOkJxl.jpg

that's it for now.. thanks for peekin in,, :)

Thanks Slim.. That's what I thought to as I have a pair on my 36 Terraplane PU but all the Hudson/Terra I compared them to were different, same bolt pattern but different waffle. I even considered that they might have been an aftermarket artillery wheel but found no matches either. Then a guy was selling a set online and said he took them off his 36 Chev. So how could I argue with that? These were 17 x 3 1/4 so I re-belled the back ones to 7 inches, the fronts I left.

Chevy used that bolt pattern in the mid 1933 on the Mercury model. The next year it was called Standard Six, and was used through 1936.

Chevy used that bolt pattern in the mid 1933 on the Mercury model. The next year it was called Standard Six, and was used through 1936.

Thanks for the info enjenjo. The wheel shop may have screwed up a pair of them (in spite of me telling them they were the only ones I had) not sure if they are savable or not. I have managed to find another pair (just in case) since but no one knew for sure what they came off of.

The green is awesome! That checker pattern on the fire wall....was it hand painted....??? or something else....??

Very cool

Booth day.. I got lucky, a place where I use to work was relocating and had two booths. So I asked them if I could rent them for a day and other than being rushed a little to get in before they got out.. it worked out well. It sure was nice to get everything sprayed in one session. And being completely blown apart it took up a lot of room but this way I got paint on every edge of the box etc.

Booth one
RbN74b0l.jpg

booth two... filling up fast
83t1hMPl.jpg

jzmq0LJl.jpg

WvaoPCjl.jpg

6md1eM9l.jpg

Now for the fun part assembly.. :)

That's it for now.. thanks for peekin in... :)

Last edited:
For those who may be interested

The cab sitting on the chassis, I am really happy with my color choice :).
EVH2wxsl.jpg

These things are so narrow between the frame rails and not a lot of options on where to run a fuel line, I have had problems in the past with fuel boiling in the lines so I built a heat shield. I used two pieces of aluminium with header wrap type material sandwiched in between.
LxsyLGel.jpg

Tail lights and you can see all the stainless button heads I used to bolt the box together
jlOSIiAl.jpg

CuGBH62l.jpg

That's it for now.. thanks for peekin in... :)

HOT DAMN, that truck is going to be spectacular. My congratulations on your great vision and execution which is something we mere mortals can only dream of being able to do.