1956 Chevy Pickup Project

Looks great! Fun and entertaining; nice to have local help to pick their brain when things get intimidating :)
Thanks for the update!
Greg

Grab a can of anti-spatter spray, you can pick it up at princess auto or welding shops. Makes clean up so much easier, most of the spatter will wipe right off and a wire brush will take care of the rest. You can use it on your welding tip and nozzle too then a couple taps on the bench will knock the crusties out.

Great colour choice on the frame too, I like it.

Scott

Either that or borrow some of your wife's anti stick spray she uses on the fry pan, same stuff and you don't need to buy a new tin of spray

Forgot to post the pic showing the end of the passenger hinge pocket. Didn't grind the welds all down for additional strength since it will all be hidden by the fender anyways. Here the lower cowl piece that I made is cleeco'd in place and ready to weld up.

With the hinge pocket area completed I turned my attention to the floor of the truck. On the passenger side there were a couple of minor areas that needed some work. This gave me a chance to play with our bead roller from work. There were several ribs in the floor that I wanted to duplicate, not because this a true restoration (it’s not, it’s only going to be a decent, rust free daily driver) but rather, I didn’t want any oil-canning.

I didn’t bother purchasing any replacement panels, since they looked straight forward enough, and made them from scratch, but I managed to get my hands on a roll of it in 18 ga and discovered it works well for floors as well.

I ended up performing three repairs on that side and was quite happy with the results.

With the passenger side completed it was time to tackle the driver’s floor. Again: more Swiss cheese. I needed to repair a couple of sections of the floor and cut into the lower cowl area and outside hinge pocket areas – again. Cutting out the floor left a gaping hole – not overwhelming at all any more, haha. Again I made the new floor panels from scratch. A few measurements, a few cuts, a few folds and voila…

Once the floor was back in place I turned my attention to the lower toe kick are which was also Swiss cheese. This is not a reproduced part so I made one up.

It had to be done in two pieces to get the bottom corner to fit properly as three planes intersected at one point along with a flange. The small piece was only a couple of square inches in size, but took a couple of hours of fiddling and diddling to get it the right shape, size and fitment. Three paper patterns, two test pieces and mangling the original in and out of shape a couple of times later, this little s.o.b. fit like a glove and was welded in.

Another area (the name escapes me right now) at the front of the hinge pocket also needed building and replacing. Again the pocket area was cut wide open. It was pretty cheesy as well...

Man, gotta love technology. Missed taking the completed picture, but it only took a couple of minutes to go out to the shop to take a pic, email it to myself, download it to my computer, upload it to photobucket then add it to this post. It'd be nice if there was a faster, easier way to do it. AAAhhh, the problems of the first world.

So much for a short post.

Good stuff. Been looking for a 56 for myself but all I'm finding is junk or overpriced shells.

Nice work on all the metal patching Gavyn. Good to see an update on the build thread after all the work this winter.

Nice job on the patches and for using metal. Too many guys "fix" rust using fiberglass or bondo.

I have the wiper motor and a few parts out of the '58 dash if you need them. Just cover the ride.

PM's disappeared a long time ago and that was when things started getting a lot quieter here.

Shoot me an email es1948thame at yahoo.com

PM's disappeared a long time ago and that was when things started getting a lot quieter here.

Shoot me an email es1948thame at yahoo.com

Thanks. Email sent. I've been away from the site for quite a while until recently but have noticed a lack of traffic as well.