1950 Mercury custom build

Are you going to be able to get back behind all the patches and seal and paint?
Any of the patches that I can't access after assembly I put epoxy on before welding in. Like inside the rockers. I epoxied all of that before putting together. Areas that are going to get hidden but need to be welded I put a weld thru primer on. Some panels I use both. Epoxy on the main body of the panel and weld thru on the edges being welded. It's another reason I have to MIG most of these as the TIG does not like the weld thru. It's not perfect but hopefully it will help.

Well because Johnny asked here are some pics of the inside of the parts before I welded it back together. The light grey is Epoxy and the dark is weld through. I just brush the epoxy on with disposable chip brushes.
20210407_102236.jpg

20210407_102242.jpg

And put back together. Definitely requires a respirator when welding but it should add some corrosion protection inside the parts where I would not be able to access afterwords.
20210407_113603.jpg

I ended up using the rubber inner tube on my small english wheel to roll the rockers. Got those fit then made the front section that fits behind the fender. The bottom of the fender will need some tweaking but everything is pretty close right now.
20210409_145510.jpg

20210410_160838.jpg

20210410_162617.jpg

Ok..so this morning with my cup of coffee I went out and cut a old inner tube from a small yard trailer I had...and I put it on my English wheel..kept on falling off...i tightened down the pressure..couldn’t move the wheel very well with the rubber on it..finally got it to go back and forth but as soon as I moved the piece I was working on a little bit sideways the inner tube fell off...by this time my coffee was cold....I like trying new things even if I never use them again ...this might be one of those things..way too frustrating..hats off to your patience

Ok..so this morning with my cup of coffee I went out and cut a old inner tube from a small yard trailer I had...and I put it on my English wheel..kept on falling off...i tightened down the pressure..couldn’t move the wheel very well with the rubber on it..finally got it to go back and forth but as soon as I moved the piece I was working on a little bit sideways the inner tube fell off...by this time my coffee was cold....I like trying new things even if I never use them again ...this might be one of those things..way too frustrating..hats off to your patience
It needs to be a pretty tight fit. Mine is not great but I cut the tube up so it sits over the edges of the wheel so it won't come off. I just bought a super cheap one from Princess Auto.
20210412_113926.jpg

Hmm.yeah I have the PA cheap one too..wheel is only about a inch wide ..which is what I cut the tube too...I should have made it way wider like yours...next time...

Well not surprisingly I had another issue rear its head. I knew the way the conversion had been done originally was shoddy at best so it wasn't really a big surprise when I started cleaning paint off the lower edge of the quarter panel to find there was about half an inch of filler covering a butcher job of splicing the rear door in place. I have begrudgingly decided to leave the top the way it is and fix it will some sort of filler. Perhaps I will lead it when I do the other parts I intend to lead but the bottom had to be fixed in order to weld the lower quarter back in place. I didn't take a picture before I cut it out but you can get an idea of what is going on above the belt line. The bottom section was even worse.
20210413_145257.jpg

Filler panel tacked in place.
20210414_141756.jpg

And the lower quarter panel under construction.
20210414_162753.jpg

Thanks for checking in!

loving this thread...is that some kind of magnetic tool holder stuck to the side of the car?
Thanks. As ratrig said it's a magnetic torch holder. I think I got it at Princess Auto. I was actually using it there to hold my air hose while I swept the floor and haven't moved it yet Lol.

Working on welding in the quarter panel patches. I kind of screwed up and didn't give my self as much room as I had thought on the forward seam. I should have moved it forward about 2" so it was more accessible to metal finish. The horizontal seam is also taking some work. It's a pretty flat panel so distorts easily, is tough to reach all the way across, has about a 5" section that is not accessible from the back and forces me to planish it left handed which makes it an even bigger pain. I think I am going to have to enlist my wife to help out. I am sure she will love that.🙄
20210419_150836.jpg

20210419_162524.jpg

Your patience and abilities continue to impress us. Your wife won’t mind........