1950 Mercury custom build

Had a new toy show up yesterday.
20201221_162603 (1).jpg

How wide is that? And whats the max thickness? That looks like something I "think" I need ...lol

It 48" 16 Gauge.
https://www.kingcanada.com/en/produ...ng-machine/kc-bp4816-48-x-16-ga-box-pan-brake

I got it from Federated tool in Ontario. Shipping was fast (it was 9 days from ordering to having it. I am just outside Edmonton) and reasonable and they wheeled it right into my garage. There must be delays in getting brakes from China right now as lot's of people were out of stock when I was looking. It's a lot better built than the one KMS sells. I was in there today looking at them and this one is quite a bit heavier construction.

Last edited:
I’ve bought several king products over the years. I’m very hard on my tools and the king products have never let me down. I was very happy with the quality but I stopped buying them a few years ago because when ever I lent them out I never got them back or the stuff I got back wasn’t what I lent out...hosers...I now have lender tools that are already broken before I lend them out.

Well even thought there has been a little bit of a break in progress posts I have still been plugging along. I have been doing a bunch of welding so not super exciting to post every day so here is a bit of a run down. I decided that it would be easier to get a bunch of it done before I put the patch panel in so I could more easily access the welds for planishing. This is basically welding in the window to the roof and quarer panel.
20201224_151107.jpg

20210104_150110.jpg

Then I did some of the roof seams on the passenger side of the car. As you can see I still have more to do. These are not fun to do. Hard to reach and find a steady position to weld. So much so I am contemplating taking the patch panel out of the other side so I can do the drivers side as it will be even worse without the access of the big hole. I am going to see if I can just sit on the packaging tray first but….
20210104_145958.jpg

Finally, to give my back a rest, I filled in where someone at some point had cut some giant holes for taillights in the rear of the quarter panels. I think they were going to use some sort of 60’s big round taillight (falcon style) as there were a couple in a box of junk that came with the car so those needed to be filled. I filled the factory holes as well. I think I am going to run a Bettancourt/Winfield kit type light at the back but still deciding.
20210104_145940.jpg

Haha I just noticed you can see all the shit that was in the car when I got it in these pictures. I need to clean that all up at some point as well.

Well I got the passenger side fit and mostly welded in place. I have a couple of areas the weld pulled the panel more than I was expecting and left some gaps that were larger than I liked. You can see where my HAZ got bigger in a couple of places as I needed to use a thicker welding rod to fill the gap. Thankfully most of it was in areas that had enough shape to them that it didn't make too big of a mess of the panel although I am going to have to put a bit of shape back in the panel in the lower rear area when I am planishing everything. Overall it went fairly well.
20210107_121232.jpg

20210107_143252.jpg

Welds ground down and the majority of the planishing done. I thought I was being smart by moving the seam around the back window closer to the window on this side to avoid all the cuts and small pieces from the other side but failed to realize that internal bracing makes is very difficult to planish out the weld where it is now. I haven't decided if I am going to cut the brace out and planish then reinstall or just do the best I can and lead the seam. The less added work the better seems the best approach given the magnitude of the work I have to do but we will see. :rolleyes: I still have to fill the cleco holes as well.
20210108_141340.jpg

20210108_141352.jpg

Last edited:
I’m learning as you go along...so near with me....might be a dumb question but.....I have seen your planishing machine in one of your pictures..is that what you use to planish and if it is..how in the world do you use it on a car?..

No dumb questions. I wish I had a hand held pneumatic planisher but they are super expensive and I don't do this enough to justify one so it's all done by hand with hammer, slappers, body files and dollies. These are the tools I used.

20210108_151251.jpg

K13, Can you not use the air hammer bolted to your planisher stand as a remote with a dolly back up? Thats what I used on my 35 chop around the windows .

K13, Can you not use the air hammer bolted to your planisher stand as a remote with a dolly back up? Thats what I used on my 35 chop around the windows .
I could but it would be more awkward than it's worth for the vast majority of it. It's hard enough reaching a lot of these welds without having to try and drag an air hose around while trying to keep the head flush with the work piece so I don't gouge it all up. The majority of my planishing is done with slappers so the amount of time it would save me isn't worth the potential hassle.

So planishing is just another word for hammering....
Yes and no. It involves hammering but there are different ways of "hammering" to try and achieve a smooth surface. On dolly, off dolly, using small heads like a hammer using larger surfaces like a slapper. Using files to find highs and lows etc. If you can pick up a copy of The Key to Metal Bumping by Frank Sargent. It is kind of the metal finishing bible.

Just went to order it..book was $23... weighs 1 pound. Shipping was $25... crooks... someone scanned it and put it online for free . drive.google.com