1931 Deluxe Delivery renovations.

licensed to kill

Supporting Member
Now that picture posting is easier for a computer nitwit like me, I will start this thread of my DD reno's from the beginning to now and then keep it updated as I progress. I have quite a few pics so will post them over a spell. How it all started. These did NOT come with barn doors. They only came with a single door hinged on the left that opened like the rear door on a hearse. These doors are home made. I will be making new rear doors.
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

A very nice car Cody. Is there a history on it? Thanks for the update

A very nice car Cody. Is there a history on it? Thanks for the update
The guy I bought it from got it from his grandfather that was a model A aficionado. He said one day, in the late 50's pr early 60's, his grandfather was heading west out of dawson Creek (where he lived) when he met this DD going towards town. he pulled a shiity and chased the guy down. The guy driving it was an elderly farmer and after getting hi to stop he asked the farmer if he would be willing to sell the Delivery. The guy said "No....I have to get the mail". His grandpa said "I don't mean right now". The old guy said "well if you wait until I get my mail I'll sell it". So he followed the guy to the list office the to his farm where he bought it for $650. The guy I bought it from said that he remembers riding in the makeshift back seat to Edmonton in the winter freezing his ass off. There was a receipt in the car for the install of a trailer hitch and trailer wiring done at a local gas station in Dawson in 1972 IIRC. It had some interesting "farmer fixes" on it

The reason they decided to sell was that they were not doing to do anything with it and it was parked in a shed behind his dads house in Grovedale. They had several people knock on the door asking if it was for sale.Problem was, the ONLY way anyone would know it was there was to walk through the yard, past the house and down a grassy lane through the trees behind the house and see it in the shed. They were VERY concerned that people were casing their property and figured that if they didn't sell it it would be stolen.

I am very impressed by your approach on this truck. Leaving it as it is. Good on ya.

The diss-assembly. I have a lot of pics but am trying to edit them down to a few of each operation that i think may be of interest.
IMG_0185.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0214.JPG

A unique vehicle. Looking forward to following your progress. Love the back bumper.

Donor motor/trans. 2.4L 4 cylinder diesel/4spd from '84 mercedes. Donor car was delivered from Ontario by Warren (wuga).
IMG_0193.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG

Checking how low the pan is below the cross member
IMG_0227.JPG

Checking trans location so I can come up with a mount.
IMG_0229.JPG

My mess. Getting ready to box the frame and do the rear "kick up". I have "Henry" on the lift so I can take measurements and copy the "kick up" on that frame.

IMG_0231.JPG

Last edited:
Very detailed build thread. I see the A pickup on the hoist in the background.

I didn't seem to take any pics of boxing the frame. However, prior to boxing it, I took a LONG time getting it perfectly straight. It had a dip of about 1/4" at the motor mounts which is typical as well as a slight twist. I got it straight then welded in the boxing plates being very careful to keep the welds short, moving from place to place on the frame as to let each weld cool before continuing in any one spot to prevent warping. Pretty tedious but when I was all done....yup, the frame was twisted. %$#@#$*&%. Now that it is boxed, it's WAY to strong and i can't get any rigging that will allow me to hold it while I try to get it back so off to a body shop with a frame rack. We were able to get it back to laser straight and I think they charged me $80. Can't beat that with a stick. Anyway, so the frame is boxed and straight and I proceed to make up some motor mounts. The passenger side was pretty straight forward but the driver side took some cyphering. I am staying with the original steering box (which is mounted inside the framerail) so I had to accommodate that when boxing the frame and the steering box is exactly where the motor mount wants to be. BTW, the round "whole" in the boxing plate behind the motor mount is the access for the bolt for the spare tire rack (I'm keeping the dual spares).

IMG_0266.JPG
IMG_0268.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG