1930 Chevrolet Sedan Project

chemong55

Supporting Member
It has been awhile since I posted so thought I would update on my progress.Had both knees replaced this year so have been slowed down on progress.Finally got the SB together today so thought I would post some pictures taken with my cell phone so not that great.Hope to have it in the frame this week.

IMG-20121217-00028_zps484d0a4d.jpg

IMG-20121217-00026_zpse7512cfc.jpg

IMG-20121217-00024_zpsd9f3e4bc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nice looking mouse. Tell us alittle about what the internals are, the intake, carb and what brand / specs of the aluminum heads ?

Last edited:
The bottom end is std 4 bolt with dished pistons, top end is a Pro Com kit from Skip White Performance and I hope the product is better than the service, what a nightmare.64cc heads 2.02/1.60, Howards Cam 488/510, Crosswind Polished Intake,Holley 650 Carb.Decided to polish the heads took way longer then I thought it would.Got my fingers crossed this aluminum stuff works ok.

More Progress 30 Chev with some questions

I have dropped the engine in and it is my first go at this I am wondering how high the oil pan should be above my lowest point. I am about 1/2 inch above the front axel and have room to go higher.I would also like opinions on the ride stance.Thanks pictures included.
P1020137_zpsb3206a21.jpg

P1020136_zps8c80ee92.jpg

P1020131_zpsd3711321.jpg

P1020138_zps5f83ea8a.jpg

Sweet looking sedan. Looking forward to the updates as I will own one of these sooner or later!

I think the bottom of the pan should be above the scrub line ;) . Honestly since you already have the rear end installed the drivetrain angles will determine the hight of the motor. the link will describe it better then i can .I have another link saved someware that is also good I will post it when I remember where I stored it.

http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-DSSP.pdf

I like to build my cars with just rims on it...no rubber.
I find it easiest to make certain that even with all tires flat nothing will be able to contact the road. Just an idea.

I was up against this problem when I was building up the frame for the Model A.

A few members in here sugested that the top of the oil pan / bottom of the block, be the same height as the top's of the frame rails. I mounted the 302 at that height, and with both front tires near flat the oil pan is well off the ground. I have a 4" dropped Super Bell I beam axle also.

Thanks for all the info, I had a few guys over from are old car club and after some refreshments New Years Eve we have it centered and above the scrub line.

Update on 30 Chev

Progress has been slow but have completed a few things.Motor and trans mounts in,master cylinder mounted,front brake lines in,rad and electric fan installed,pulleys,alt,carb installed,new gas tank ready to go,should be ready to fire engine soon.Was not happy with rear setup so am installing 4 bar,mounted F1 steering box which I had to rebuild,and may I add only Ford part on car so far,drag link and pitman arm made so hope to be able to take her out down the driveway soon.Took some pictures not that great may try to take some better ones tomorrow.
1930Chev008.jpg
[/URL]
[/IMG]
1930Chev007.jpg
[/URL]
[/IMG]
1930Chev005.jpg
[/URL]
[/IMG]
1930Chev004.jpg
[/URL]
[/IMG]
1930Chev003.jpg
[/URL]
[/IMG]
1930Chev002.jpg
[/URL]
[/IMG]
1930Chev001.jpg
[/URL]
[/IMG]
1930Chev009-1.jpg
[/URL]
[/IMG]

Just curious, is that a weld on the brake peddle, if so perhaps you might like to weld a fish plate there, I have a friend who had a welded brake peddle and the weld broke, not a good thing, so I am only making a suggestion.

Yes it is and am going to plate it just waiting to make sure it is located correctly seems like it's always one step ahead then 2 steps back LOL

Better an inch too high than an inch too low. All ground isn't level...as we all know...so it wouldn't hurt to give yourself a bit extra. You could always add a skid plate underneath if you anticipated any sort of trouble.

A little more progress on the Chevy,just have to run rear brake lines,mount new gas tank and run gas line and should be ready for initial start up.

ChevMay2013003.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ChevMay2013002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ChevMay2013001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]