Canadian cars in U.S. mags 50's and 60's

Jim Hodge's 36 Ford 3 window coupe was in Rod and Custom in the late 60's in the Readers rides section. Then I saw it on a car lot on Kingsway in Vancouver in the 70's or 80's. Last time it was around it was black with flames.

scan0041.jpg

scan0065.jpg

Gosh............I hated the seventies..jacked up cars, button tuft whore house interiors, wide tires and wheels sticking way out of the fenders...and
lace and panel paint jobs...............yuk......my opinion, but shared by many..

There is a great book out now by Pat Ganahl called "Lost Hot Rods" - telling the story of hot rods of the past that are still in existence. We could start our own book with this fine lineup of rods and customs from back in the day. Sure would be interesting to try to track them down now.

Gosh............I hated the seventies..jacked up cars, button tuft whore house interiors, wide tires and wheels sticking way out of the fenders...and
lace and panel paint jobs...............yuk......my opinion, but shared by many..
Yep, agreed...maybe that's part of the reason I stepped out for 25yrs. Velor, stupid aftermarket wheels, padded dash's, billet (ok I'll take hits on that one!) on & on. But I got to realize that do what you like & if someone doesn't that's their problem.

I am definitely a fan of the early to mid sixties hot rods. Not much of a muscle car fan. The 70's hot rods for the most part were ugly. Pat.

I've got to agree with you there Pat, I think the late 50's to late 60's were really the glamor time for Hot Rods, chrome mettal flake and plenty of bling. I laugh when I hear people talking about traditional rods and build flat black cars, sure they were around and remember painting an A with my mums vacum cleaner then rubbing it back and polishing the heak out of the paint and not much chrome.
But the show cars used to jerk my chain back then especially the American cars in the magazines. A friend of Jax40 here Warren Fairhurst and Ted Gord have just done an article in the New Zealand Hot Rod magazine of the Orange Crate, chrome and bling, looked good.

Last edited:
This post may not come out too clear. Motorsports West magazine, 1967, printed in Vancouver BC. This is coverage of the PNE parade with floats by the BC Custom Car Assoc and the BC Hot Rod Assn. Bottom left photo shows
a guy at the left with a wig. That is PTP'r Bruce Metcalfe with a dress and a wig. He tells me he had to get off the float to go pee....then had to run 3 blocks to catch up to the float....to much laughter and cheering. The girl standing beside him, I had a crush on in Grade 9 !!!!!:)

scan0033-1.jpg

This post may not come out too clear. Motorsports West magazine, 1967, printed in Vancouver BC. This is coverage of the PNE parade with floats by the BC Custom Car Assoc and the BC Hot Rod Assn. Bottom left photo shows
a guy at the left with a wig. That is PTP'r Bruce Metcalfe with a dress and a wig. He tells me he had to get off the float to go pee....then had to run 3 blocks to catch up to the float....to much laughter and cheering. The girl standing beside him, I had a crush on in Grade 9 !!!!!:)

scan0033-1.jpg

Hmmmmn! Does Bruce have a history of this sort of thing?

Rocket88

Is Ron still in your neighbourhood? Or, where ya grew up, etc????

Sept 1963 Car Craft. '33 3 Window. Anyone know anything about this nice car???
From Port Alberni, BC

scan0017-1.jpg

I just found out yesterday talking to my buddy Cliff S. in Burns Lake BC
that he owned this car in the 60's for four years. Cliff has been building rods and customs out there for over 45 years!!!!!!!!

I just found out yesterday talking to my buddy Cliff S. in Burns Lake BC
that he owned this car in the 60's for four years. Cliff has been building rods and customs out there for over 45 years!!!!!!!!

Did he say what happened to the car? I know a guy named Ken Hemstock who i think lived in Duncun? who has a blue 3-window that looks close to that, wonder if it is the same one? Anyone know Kenny on the island??

Also did you notice how high the cars sat back in the day? Thank goodness the dropped axle was reproduced for the hot rodding public.

Also did you notice how high the cars sat back in the day? Thank goodness the dropped axle was reproduced for the hot rodding public.

They had dropped axles back then, just happens that they pushed the wheels to far to the outside instead of the tires being under the fenders.

Last edited:
They had dropped axles back then, just happens that they pushed to wheels to far to the outside instead of the tires being under the fenders.

OB56, i know they did have the axles around, but now you can just go and buy a Super Bell that is correct, instead of sending to Mor-Drop in California or relying on some guy to do it in his back shop. Some of those back yard ones were pretty crude. Just my opinion.

Did he say what happened to the car? I know a guy named Ken Hemstock who i think lived in Duncun? who has a blue 3-window that looks close to that, wonder if it is the same one? Anyone know Kenny on the island??

Brian

Cliff is not on the internet, but I will find out the story...........:)

OB56, i know they did have the axles around, but now you can just go and buy a Super Bell that is correct, instead of sending to Mor-Drop in California or relying on some guy to do it in his back shop. Some of those back yard ones were pretty crude. Just my opinion.

I share the same opinion, damn right they were crude, and unfortunately, some still are done the "old" way.
But some were "ok", not perfect but better than others.
Today there is no excuse as you indicate.

and now back to the main programme....

Last edited:
The above car was built by Gary Sturmer in the late '50's. It's now in the southern states Florida or Georgia? U.S. guys love Cdn built hot rods! I'm told by "lurkers" that Gary is still very involved & in his '70's & recently completed a chopped black primed '32 hi boy coupe!! Good stuff all around!!